The Student Room Group

The Official TSR Glee Society... No Future Spoilers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by e hine e
A message is usually a personal message that only you 2 can see and appears at the top of your screen, if it comes up on your 'feed' or page then it's just a tweet reply. Which warbler was it? I'll be excited if you did get one :woo: you should also follow me (please don't judge my tweets if you do though, I tend to tweet at odd times of the night...about odd things (mainly Glee at the moment it's fair to say)

Spoiler

I know, I love that this thread is so positive, it's always good to come here :woo: I was listening to SOWK while out today. I was also listening to Misery on the bus and started bopping my head like Blaine. The funniest thing was when I had my hands full of shopping in 20 degree heat, my ipod on Glee shuffle and Baby It's Cold Outside came on :rofl: I had no hands free to change it so I was listening to Christmas songs on the hottest day of the year. SOWK sounds even better outside in my opinion.

I was the same with my literature knowledge-I was taught at home for most of secondary school so didn't have to follow the curriculum or sit exams so I focussed on my maths rather than english (I wasn't naturally amazing at maths) and just read for pleasure (mainly kids books to be honest, I found them good to unwind with) so when I got to college to do my GCSEs and A Levels everyone had done Shakespeare and loads of other really classic literature and all I'd really studied were things like Jane Eyre. I soon caught up though and when I went to Cambridge I managed to get into Greek literature and medieval literature without having done it before. I always feel stupid with literature though, I tend to go into exams thinking 'what do I actually know about this/how am I going to write an essay on it?' then just write and write. I swear I make most of the things up.

I'm going to follow you on twitter! I'm diamonddust23 on there.
It's so epic you got into Cambridge after being homeschooled!
Funny you guys should mention Shakespeare, I was mentioning to a friend that I haven't read as much as I should. I used to read all the time and now I have no time to read and I can't actually take books in anymore. :sad:

Edit: Oh yeah, don't get freaked out by my twitter pic! I was dressed up as Elphaba from Wicked... :blush:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by diamonddust

Funny you guys should mention Shakespeare, I was mentioning to a friend that I haven't read as much as I should. I used to read all the time and now I have no time to read and I can't actually take books in anymore. :sad:

Edit: Oh yeah, don't get freaked out by my twitter pic! I was dressed up as Elphaba from Wicked... :blush:

I think being home educated was actually the only reason I got in because it made me stand out otherwise I would have had no chance. It helped that I emphasised how it taught me 'independent study skills' in my personal statement. Really, it taught me how to do my work in the fastest possible time in order to do something much more interesting :tongue:

I went through a similar period with reading, lost all my concentration while ill but I'm slowly getting it back. It didn't help that I managed to lose all ability to take in books during my A2 year. I did my coursework without having read any books involved fully :s-smilie:

:rofl: I gathered that's what you were doing on twitter!
Reply 2102
A message is usually a personal message that only you 2 can see and appears at the top of your screen, if it comes up on your 'feed' or page then it's just a tweet reply. Which warbler was it? I'll be excited if you did get one :woo: you should also follow me (please don't judge my tweets if you do though, I tend to tweet at odd times of the night...about odd things (mainly Glee at the moment it's fair to say)

Spoiler

I know, I love that this thread is so positive, it's always good to come here :woo: I was listening to SOWK while out today. I was also listening to Misery on the bus and started bopping my head like Blaine. The funniest thing was when I had my hands full of shopping in 20 degree heat, my ipod on Glee shuffle and Baby It's Cold Outside came on :rofl: I had no hands free to change it so I was listening to Christmas songs on the hottest day of the year. SOWK sounds even better outside in my opinion.

I was the same with my literature knowledge-I was taught at home for most of secondary school so didn't have to follow the curriculum or sit exams so I focussed on my maths rather than english (I wasn't naturally amazing at maths) and just read for pleasure (mainly kids books to be honest, I found them good to unwind with) so when I got to college to do my GCSEs and A Levels everyone had done Shakespeare and loads of other really classic literature and all I'd really studied were things like Jane Eyre. I soon caught up though and when I went to Cambridge I managed to get into Greek literature and medieval literature without having done it before. I always feel stupid with literature though, I tend to go into exams thinking 'what do I actually know about this/how am I going to write an essay on it?' then just write and write. I swear I make most of the things up.

Ah, thanks! I feel like such a loser, I can't even figure out Twitter :facepalm: I got an email about it, and it's in my 'messages' box but not on my page - so I guess that was indeed a message. Nice to know there's a difference :tongue:

Spoiler

I guess BICO didn't sound very good today, no :tongue: SOWK is such a beautiful song! I saw them do it live at a festival a few years ago, and this enormously tall guy in fron of me lifted me on his shoulders so I could see it properly :tongue: It works great out in the open - and especially if you can belt it out! :biggrin: Such a pity that it'll be 2 in the morning here when Glee is on, I don't think my family will appreciate it if I decide to sing along :tongue:

I am sure that you're everything but stupid with literature - if you were given a place to do it at Cambridge, it means you're amazing! I know what you mean though, I always feel like that, especially since I never had to study literature for school. When I did the ELAT it was the first time I wrote some sort of essay, and I'm still not sure if I actually did it the way you're supposed to :redface:

I started reading English literature when I was about 15, and I was so disappointed when I never got to do it at school. Even universities here focus on language rather than literature, and you always have to divide your time between two different languages. I have been ill for years after finishing school, but I just kept reading whatever interested me at that time. I wish I would have had someone to tell me what I should be reading, or at least someone to talk to about it! I had a great time during my interviews, just because it was the first time someone was actually interested in my ideas and opinions - most of the time I get told to shut up :tongue:
I've crossed the borderline from sad into potentially sectionable crazy person...

I made Klaine Sims 3 Sims.
Couldn't get Blaine's eyebrows right though...
Kurt wants to be a hit movie composer and Blaine wants to be... a rockstar!
Reply 2104

You look awesome in that pic!! :biggrin: (<-- haha, best smiley ever to comment on a green face!)
I think being home educated was actually the only reason I got in because it made me stand out otherwise I would have had no chance. It helped that I emphasised how it taught me 'independent study skills' in my personal statement. Really, it taught me how to do my work in the fastest possible time in order to do something much more interesting :tongue:

I went through a similar period with reading, lost all my concentration while ill but I'm slowly getting it back. It didn't help that I managed to lose all ability to take in books during my A2 year. I did my coursework without having read any books involved fully :s-smilie:

:rofl: I gathered that's what you were doing on twitter!

OMG, are you actually me? That's happening to me, too! I haven't fully read a book in about a year. I keep trying to and end up staring at the same page for hours. :rolleyes:
Original post by Ambs
You look awesome in that pic!! :biggrin: (<-- haha, best smiley ever to comment on a green face!)

Awww, thanks. :blush: :biggrin:

Tweet me and I'll follow you back! :biggrin:

Original post by Ambs
Ah, thanks! I feel like such a loser, I can't even figure out Twitter :facepalm: I got an email about it, and it's in my 'messages' box but not on my page - so I guess that was indeed a message. Nice to know there's a difference :tongue:

Spoiler

I guess BICO didn't sound very good today, no :tongue: SOWK is such a beautiful song! I saw them do it live at a festival a few years ago, and this enormously tall guy in fron of me lifted me on his shoulders so I could see it properly :tongue: It works great out in the open - and especially if you can belt it out! :biggrin: Such a pity that it'll be 2 in the morning here when Glee is on, I don't think my family will appreciate it if I decide to sing along :tongue:

I am sure that you're everything but stupid with literature - if you were given a place to do it at Cambridge, it means you're amazing! I know what you mean though, I always feel like that, especially since I never had to study literature for school. When I did the ELAT it was the first time I wrote some sort of essay, and I'm still not sure if I actually did it the way you're supposed to :redface:

I started reading English literature when I was about 15, and I was so disappointed when I never got to do it at school. Even universities here focus on language rather than literature, and you always have to divide your time between two different languages. I have been ill for years after finishing school, but I just kept reading whatever interested me at that time. I wish I would have had someone to tell me what I should be reading, or at least someone to talk to about it! I had a great time during my interviews, just because it was the first time someone was actually interested in my ideas and opinions - most of the time I get told to shut up :tongue:

Wow, it's amazing you got a message from him :woo: I love all his inspirational tweets.

I can't believe I'll have to stay up again to watch SOWK but it'll be worth it :woo: it is annoying that you can't really react or sing at that time though. I was lucky with the

Spoiler

I was so in shock and lacking oxygen that my only screams were inside my head. My mum would've gone crazy if I'd woken her because of that :rofl:

I loved my interview too, I really liked the direction they took the discussion in and it was so different to college discussions I'd had before. It still amazes me how patient they are with the people they interview considering just how much literature they will have studied through undergraduate, postgraduate and research posts. I thought they'd make me feel a bit useless but they didn't at all. When I wanted to study things by myself the only way I could really do it was to buy York notes to go with books because they taught me exactly what I should be looking for...I continued to use them at A Level because they were usually better than lessons (hope my teachers never read this, considering I just posted my twitter name so they'll know who I am lol).
I've crossed the borderline from sad into potentially sectionable crazy person...

I made Klaine Sims 3 Sims.
Couldn't get Blaine's eyebrows right though...
Kurt wants to be a hit movie composer and Blaine wants to be... a rockstar!

Oh dear.
OMG, are you actually me? That's happening to me, too! I haven't fully read a book in about a year. I keep trying to and end up staring at the same page for hours. :rolleyes:

You know, we could be the same person-one day we got really bored and created 2 accounts so we could talk to ourselves about Glee :biggrin: It's so annoying that it happened because I used to read every night, I remember at school I used to read a book a day and then I went from that to just reading nothing. I've managed to read a few now (nowhere near what I used to-only a few books in a matter of months). Fanfiction is pretty good for getting back into reading I'm finding :smile:
Reply 2110
Wow, it's amazing you got a message from him :woo: I love all his inspirational tweets.

I can't believe I'll have to stay up again to watch SOWK but it'll be worth it :woo: it is annoying that you can't really react or sing at that time though. I was lucky with the

Spoiler

I was so in shock and lacking oxygen that my only screams were inside my head. My mum would've gone crazy if I'd woken her because of that :rofl:

I loved my interview too, I really liked the direction they took the discussion in and it was so different to college discussions I'd had before. It still amazes me how patient they are with the people they interview considering just how much literature they will have studied through undergraduate, postgraduate and research posts. I thought they'd make me feel a bit useless but they didn't at all. When I wanted to study things by myself the only way I could really do it was to buy York notes to go with books because they taught me exactly what I should be looking for...I continued to use them at A Level because they were usually better than lessons (hope my teachers never read this, considering I just posted my twitter name so they'll know who I am lol).

I love how he doesn't just pretend to be a really nice person, he actually is! I didn't reply to his message though - I don't have much to add!

I can't believe that only a few weeks ago I managed to wait until Wednesday evening to watch the new episode! I'm counting the hours until the 19th so I don't think I'll be able to sleep before I've seen it. I didn't scream when that happened; I just had this huge grin on my face that didn't go away until I went to bed :biggrin: My parents always go to bed really early so I learned to enjoy Glee in silence!

I had two interviews. One was really nice, and like you I was amazed at their encouragement and patience. Their feedback said that I had 'some trouble with localised lexical meaning and linguistic detail', but I can only agree there. I was just starting out with analysing poetry, and fact is that I'll never be as good as a native English speaker, no matter how much I practice.

The second interview didn't go so well, mostly because the interviewers never responded to anything I said; they just sat there nodding and taking notes. Thinking back, I know I said some pretty silly things, but since they never asked any questions or interacted with me in any way I didn't know how good or bad I was doing. My feedback says that my answers were too general and not specific and detailed enough - if they would have just ASKED me for more I would have loved to elaborate! :tongue:

I have read bits of York Notes, and they indeed seem pretty good! They're a bit too expensive for me though... The nearest library that has some English literature is an hour trainride away so I have to buy every single thing I want to read, which is already more than I can afford :redface:
Oh dear.

:cry: :tongue:

You know, we could be the same person-one day we got really bored and created 2 accounts so we could talk to ourselves about Glee :biggrin: It's so annoying that it happened because I used to read every night, I remember at school I used to read a book a day and then I went from that to just reading nothing. I've managed to read a few now (nowhere near what I used to-only a few books in a matter of months). Fanfiction is pretty good for getting back into reading I'm finding :smile:

*nods sadly*
I seriously could have written this post! I used to read a book a day too and now? The only reason I finished Paradise Lost is because we read it section by section in class... haven't finished my other two texts properly. Sparknotes is my friend, atm! I have around 50 new books I bought/acquired when I was in hospital and I haven't read any of them yet. People keep asking me for book recommendations and I can't recommend anything because I haven't read anything!
Fanfic is great but I struggle with the really wordy ones... I plan on spending the summer trying to force my brain to compute! Are you sure we aren't the same person?
Original post by Ambs
I love how he doesn't just pretend to be a really nice person, he actually is! I didn't reply to his message though - I don't have much to add!

I can't believe that only a few weeks ago I managed to wait until Wednesday evening to watch the new episode! I'm counting the hours until the 19th so I don't think I'll be able to sleep before I've seen it. I didn't scream when that happened; I just had this huge grin on my face that didn't go away until I went to bed :biggrin: My parents always go to bed really early so I learned to enjoy Glee in silence!

I had two interviews. One was really nice, and like you I was amazed at their encouragement and patience. Their feedback said that I had 'some trouble with localised lexical meaning and linguistic detail', but I can only agree there. I was just starting out with analysing poetry, and fact is that I'll never be as good as a native English speaker, no matter how much I practice.

The second interview didn't go so well, mostly because the interviewers never responded to anything I said; they just sat there nodding and taking notes. Thinking back, I know I said some pretty silly things, but since they never asked any questions or interacted with me in any way I didn't know how good or bad I was doing. My feedback says that my answers were too general and not specific and detailed enough - if they would have just ASKED me for more I would have loved to elaborate! :tongue:

I have read bits of York Notes, and they indeed seem pretty good! They're a bit too expensive for me though... The nearest library that has some English literature is an hour trainride away so I have to buy every single thing I want to read, which is already more than I can afford :redface:

I had a huge grin too :biggrin: I was just sat on the sofa with my laptop and as the scene progressed I think I stopped breathing and I just became a huge grin. I woke up the next day smiling too lol. I know, when I used to watch the day after US broadcast I thought I'd become a huge fan then I started staying up to watch live-the last episode I stayed up to watch live, talked about it afterwards then shut down my laptop then diamonddust posted a link to a behind the scenes video so I actually set my laptop up to watch it (totally worth it-dayum darren) then there was a link to rewatch the episode so I rewatched all the worthy scenes.

I don't really get to the library here either, they're shutting down a lot of local ones so it's about a 1 hour ride to my nearest library (that isn't just a tiny one with books about gardening).

I was lucky in that my interviewers kept pushing me to expand-it's awful if they don't really because in a pressurised situation you don't really know how much they want from you and you don't want to ramble so you usually start with telling them a minimum. It's not fair if they expect you to know exactly what they want. I started talking about Enid Blyton in my interview...I even began comparing it to Harry Potter :facepalm: so I can only wonder what they thought of me. My second interview was pretty fun, it was just with this one guy and wasn't subject specific. I basically taught him about home education as he said he'd never met anyone who'd done it before.

:cry: :tongue:

*nods sadly*
I seriously could have written this post! I used to read a book a day too and now? The only reason I finished Paradise Lost is because we read it section by section in class... haven't finished my other two texts properly. Sparknotes is my friend, atm! I have around 50 new books I bought/acquired when I was in hospital and I haven't read any of them yet. People keep asking me for book recommendations and I can't recommend anything because I haven't read anything!
Fanfic is great but I struggle with the really wordy ones... I plan on spending the summer trying to force my brain to compute! Are you sure we aren't the same person?

I was supposed to read Paradise Lost before going to Cambridge but I couldn't get past the first page my head was just :eek3: I have loads of books unread too, I bought a lot of classics which are stored under my bed, plus some more modern books. The stupid thing is I still want to buy books because I always think they look so good but I just can't get into them :facepalm: I'm pretty sure I am you :eek3: I'm replying to myself here!

This Swing Sets and Sandboxes is so cute :love: I love how the writer is exploring the stereotypes of how boys are supposed to act (not holding hands, playing mums/dads and dads/dads etc). It just makes me wish that kids could grow up without having to conform to an adult view of how they should act-they should be allowed to use their imaginations. The dads/dads thing actually reminds me of how I used to play mums/mums with my Barbies. I think I just got rid of my Ken dolls-they obviously didn't make them in Darren Criss style.

I just realised I didn't follow you both back yesterday-I have this thing about twitter, if someone starts following me I'm like :woo: I get to read their updates now :woo: then a couple of weeks later wonder why I haven't seen any before realising I forgot to follow them back :facepalm: I'm having a lot of facepalm moments this morning.

Also...BIOTA on Monday. I know some people aren't fans but it was one of my most anticipated episodes of the season and I absolutely loved it

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)
I just finished that fic and :cry: OMG it was so beautiful. Everyone who hasn't read it should go read it NOW. That includes any lurkers reading this (and I know you're there!). So go, read it http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6856415/1/Swing_Sets_and_Sandboxes or I will judge you. It could spoil some things for episodes up to season 2 ep 16 though.

I need to think of something to write a fanfic about...I'm not sure whether I'd be better at writing Klaine or Brittana...I think I'd prefer Klaine because at the moment I'm not the biggest fan of Brittany but I don't know what kind of story to do.
(edited 13 years ago)
I just finished that fic and :cry: OMG it was so beautiful. Everyone who hasn't read it should go read it NOW. That includes any lurkers reading this (and I know you're there!). So go, read it http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6856415/1/Swing_Sets_and_Sandboxes or I will judge you. It could spoil some things for episodes up to season 2 ep 16 though.

I need to think of something to write a fanfic about...I'm not sure whether I'd be better at writing Klaine or Brittana...I think I'd prefer Klaine because at the moment I'm not the biggest fan of Brittany but I don't know what kind of story to do.

As one of the said lurkers (who was a tad unnerved to be spoken to), I agree that it was so sweet! I normally avoid fanfic, but that one was pretty gripping, maybe just because it was so cute. It doesn't make the wait for the next episode any easier though!
Original post by shinobi93

Original post by shinobi93
As one of the said lurkers (who was a tad unnerved to be spoken to), I agree that it was so sweet! I normally avoid fanfic, but that one was pretty gripping, maybe just because it was so cute. It doesn't make the wait for the next episode any easier though!

:hello: it's a lurker :woo: :party: :ymca:

Nothing can make the wait easier :sad: I've tried everything. I'm just trying to make the time go as quickly as possible now. It's proving difficult.
I had a huge grin too :biggrin: I was just sat on the sofa with my laptop and as the scene progressed I think I stopped breathing and I just became a huge grin. I woke up the next day smiling too lol. I know, when I used to watch the day after US broadcast I thought I'd become a huge fan then I started staying up to watch live-the last episode I stayed up to watch live, talked about it afterwards then shut down my laptop then diamonddust posted a link to a behind the scenes video so I actually set my laptop up to watch it (totally worth it-dayum darren) then there was a link to rewatch the episode so I rewatched all the worthy scenes.

I don't really get to the library here either, they're shutting down a lot of local ones so it's about a 1 hour ride to my nearest library (that isn't just a tiny one with books about gardening).

I was lucky in that my interviewers kept pushing me to expand-it's awful if they don't really because in a pressurised situation you don't really know how much they want from you and you don't want to ramble so you usually start with telling them a minimum. It's not fair if they expect you to know exactly what they want. I started talking about Enid Blyton in my interview...I even began comparing it to Harry Potter :facepalm: so I can only wonder what they thought of me. My second interview was pretty fun, it was just with this one guy and wasn't subject specific. I basically taught him about home education as he said he'd never met anyone who'd done it before.

I was supposed to read Paradise Lost before going to Cambridge but I couldn't get past the first page my head was just :eek3: I have loads of books unread too, I bought a lot of classics which are stored under my bed, plus some more modern books. The stupid thing is I still want to buy books because I always think they look so good but I just can't get into them :facepalm: I'm pretty sure I am you :eek3: I'm replying to myself here!

This Swing Sets and Sandboxes is so cute :love: I love how the writer is exploring the stereotypes of how boys are supposed to act (not holding hands, playing mums/dads and dads/dads etc). It just makes me wish that kids could grow up without having to conform to an adult view of how they should act-they should be allowed to use their imaginations. The dads/dads thing actually reminds me of how I used to play mums/mums with my Barbies. I think I just got rid of my Ken dolls-they obviously didn't make them in Darren Criss style.

I just realised I didn't follow you both back yesterday-I have this thing about twitter, if someone starts following me I'm like :woo: I get to read their updates now :woo: then a couple of weeks later wonder why I haven't seen any before realising I forgot to follow them back :facepalm: I'm having a lot of facepalm moments this morning.

Also...BIOTA on Monday. I know some people aren't fans but it was one of my most anticipated episodes of the season and I absolutely loved it

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm reading the first chapter now and :cry:
Poor Blaine!

Spoiler

(edited 13 years ago)

Spoiler

I'm reading the first chapter now and :cry:
Poor Blaine!

Blaine is homeschooled too! It gets even more :sad: believe me.
:hello: it's a lurker :woo: :party: :ymca:

Nothing can make the wait easier :sad: I've tried everything. I'm just trying to make the time go as quickly as possible now. It's proving difficult.

I feel a bit like I've been stalking this thread... :colondollar:

I keep putting the past five or so episodes on in the background, hoping that will make it better, but then they do things like release the promo and it just gets worse. Luckily, a load of the sitcoms I watch from the US come back this week rather than next, so I'll have to make do with them.
I have such a crush on Santana- love that she is into girls now too! I hope they develop that storyline more either with Brittany or someone else :tongue:

Can't stop singing Valerie!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending