Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My close friends are going to uni this year coming, they plan to rent a house because it is the same price/cheaper to do so? I want to move with them (to help them share the costs aswell as move away from home and to get my life back on track) I plan to work full time for a year and redo my college things up there etc, ive looked into courses etc, is it possible to move in with them, or do i have to be a student?

Thanks =) p.s i think i worded my topic title wrong but it would be a private student renting house of course.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can but you will have to pay i think its 75% council tax, but im not 100% sure on that figure. Basicaly they dont have to pay it because theyre students.... but you get a reduced rate because your living with non payers.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    There are no rules against it, but be aware that some landlords/letting agencies only rent out to students.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, but you would have to pay 75% of the Council Tax.

ReputationRep:
    yes you can

ReputationRep:
    Well of course im willing to pay that, i was just wondering if it was possible as i dont know how strict they are, and also my friends need to know want to know what to do really, what is best? as they feel they dont want to live in the halls... as well they are 19, what would they miss out on not going to live with other people? There not into partying, drinking etc, we are all mature for our age and dont enjoy watchign people get smashed just in there kitchens (we went up to see her sisters one last year) Just trying to think of the positive and negatives really? There just up there to learn and too get away from there parents and enjoy there freedom but there not into the uni life... as you might call it?

I plan to email/ring them if we find a good place and ask, planning ahead is always best

ReputationRep:
    Yes. But as soon as you move in, the house is eligible for council tax, and as the non-student, you will have to foot the tax for the other two as wells yourself. Good luck with that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can but you will be eligible for council tax...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undiscovery)
    Yes. But as soon as you move in, the house is eligible for council tax, and as the non-student, you will have to foot the tax for the other two as wells yourself. Good luck with that.

Surely not? Council tax is for the property not for each person, so it'x £x amount for however many people people are living there be it 3 or 50.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmmm its okay, i am willing to pay for it if need be, but how expensive is it etc? I know nothing about houses WThis is why im researching and fidning out what i need to know ahead of time lol. Would it be the full 100% or would i get a discount?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but it's unlikely you will have a lot of choice on where to live.
    Landlords who rent to students, rent only to students for the most part. This is even the case if they don't rent through the University's own system.

You will also be paying council tax of something like 75%. What I'm not sure of is if this will affect your friend's tax status.

Just understand you'll be dramatically reducing your student friend's choice on where they can live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adelaidez)
    Mmmmm its okay, i am willing to pay for it if need be, but how expensive is it etc? I know nothing about houses WThis is why im researching and fidning out what i need to know ahead of time lol. Would it be the full 100% or would i get a discount?
    The tax for our household was just over £1100 I think for the year, this is with three people in the house. (If that makes a difference? :dontknow:)

Of course, we only got the paper saying how much it would have been, and that we need not pay it because we were students.

Just to give you some idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adelaidez)
    Look on your local council website, the rates are different for each area. If there's only one person in the house eligible to pay then yeah you get a discount.

ReputationRep:
    I know that, but if my friend boyfriends comes too, in which he wont be a student i think it would be easier for me, but i know it will effect my friends quite alot but im sure they wont mind if its a near where they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    Amount of council tax depends on which "band" the property is in - aka how much it was deemed worth in a rough assessment done years ago. After that it depends on the area - you have to look at the councils website for the amounts. Some councils have a system where you can enter the postcode/house number to find out which band it is in, others you will have to ask the letting agent/landlord to be sure.

Students are exempt from council tax. So you'd count as a single person, which is a 25% discount.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.