Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats your best most random fact??? Watch

ReputationRep:
    sharks never properly sleep, they have to swim a bit during this time or else they will fall to the ocean floor, and won't be able to get back up, in other words, they DIE.
    Also i think they sleep with one eye open, but then that could just be an expression meaning they are always on the alert night and day!! - but i think its still true

My fact originated from a penguin wrapper... :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    actually cant think of one right now xD maybe this one :|

the best water-repellent surface isn't a smooth one, but an incredibly rough one.

ReputationRep:
    San Diego. Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means "a whale's vagina

ReputationRep:
    there's that one about the shakespeare and king james bible conspiracy..

that he was 46 when it was written and it psalm 46, the 46th word in is 'shake' and the 46th word backwards (discounting amen, or whatever the translation is) is 'spear'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocobloc)
    sharks never properly sleep, they have to swim a bit during this time or else they will fall to the ocean floor, and won't be able to get back up, in other words, they DIE.
    Also i think they sleep with one eye open, but then that could just be an expression meaning they are always on the alert night and day!! - but i think its still true

My fact originated from a penguin wrapper... :holmes:

Someone already posted it, in any case it's not completely true.
    Sharks just need a constant stream of water through their gill to breathe, so they are forced to swim 24/7.
    But there are sharks (at least of some species) that can rest on the floor, remaining still, provided that there's an underwater current that flows through them. I've seen this myself in an aquarium.

ReputationRep:
    -The bridge in Overtoun, Scotland, has the highest dog suicide rate in the world. On average, 1 dog jumps to it's death every month.

-In Japan, a forest on the base of Mt. Fuji has the highest suicide rate in Japan, since 1950, over 800 people have committed suicide in the forest. The Japanese have put up warning signs such as 'Think about your family!' and have regular search teams in the area.

-Cows try to orientate themselves either North or South.

-A 5'4 Finnish farmer has a kill count of over 700 hundred Russians. His choice of weapon was a rifle with only iron sights and he fought in -20 to -40 degree weather.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 23girl)
    omg someone said that to me but i didn't quite trust him so i was like nah lol
    Its definately not true btw, lol so monkeys or dogs or pigs for example don't have sex just for pleasure, of course they do. Do they have a family planning meeting before they do it....no.

ReputationRep:
    Another random fact for you: the world's reservoirs hold more than 10,000 cubic kilometres (that's over 10 trillion cubic metres) of fresh water, 5 times as much water as in every river on the planet put together. Given that most of this water is pooled in the northern hemisphere, this redistribution of such a massive amount of water has actually caused the earth's rotation to speed up, shortening each day by 8 millionths of a second in the last 40 years.

ReputationRep:
    The Magnetic North pole (which is what a compass points to) is actually in north Canada, 800 km from our geographic north pole. And…the magnetic poles are shifting between 15-40km a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.