Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is quite a difficult school to get into and they are picky in which subjects they allow you to take.. for example normally you need at least an A to take a subject at HL

I am in my first year of IB and I really want to change from maths studies to Maths SL. I achieved an A in my gcse only a few marks away from an A* however they insist I do studies

I originally wanted to do SL but they didn't allow me, I asked again a week before school started and when they tested me to decide it was after the summer, around 4 months of literally no studying... of course I didn't do my best.

I am achieving 6's in maths studies however I am so demotivated.. I hate re-learning what I have already done in GCSE and my teacher is so bad and can barely speak english. I do no work in maths outside of the lesson and i still get a 6. I also take higher chem, bio and english and are easily achieving 6's in them.

I want to study science at uni and maths standard will be helpful... what should I do? It is so frustrating relearning such simple maths.. I actually feel I'm becoming stupider. However I have left it late? How difficult is maths SL compared to studies? Will I be able to handle it if I got A in my gcse?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by francescafrancesca)
    It is quite a difficult school to get into and they are picky in which subjects they allow you to take.. for example normally you need at least an A to take a subject at HL

I am in my first year of IB and I really want to change from maths studies to Maths SL. I achieved an A in my gcse only a few marks away from an A* however they insist I do studies

I originally wanted to do SL but they didn't allow me, I asked again a week before school started and when they tested me to decide it was after the summer, around 4 months of literally no studying... of course I didn't do my best.

I am achieving 6's in maths studies however I am so demotivated.. I hate re-learning what I have already done in GCSE and my teacher is so bad and can barely speak english. I do no work in maths outside of the lesson and i still get a 6. I also take higher chem, bio and english and are easily achieving 6's in them.

I want to study science at uni and maths standard will be helpful... what should I do? It is so frustrating relearning such simple maths.. I actually feel I'm becoming stupider. However I have left it late? How difficult is maths SL compared to studies? Will I be able to handle it if I got A in my gcse?
    Well, Maths SL isn't easy: especially if you have a limited amount of time to learn the material (you'll need to (1) know the material well, & (2) apply this material in some v. tricky questions & they try to incorporate different topics into single questions e.g. trig/vectors/matrices). I recommend that you speak to your counselor/coordinator about your situation and emphasize why you want to take Maths SL (and how motivated you will be to catch up). If you spend some time studying over break, you should be able to handle it.

I haven't done GCSEs, but other posters have frequently said that an A* does not mean you will do well in IB Maths, nor does an A indicate you will not be able to handle the material.

I however achieved a 100% and a 90% in pre-IB mathematics. I found it v. difficult at first, but you'll get used to the course with time.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Maths SL (Methods) is much harder than studies. Since you want to study a science subject at uni then you should probably pressure your IB coordinator and possibly get your parents involved. Studies is a joke compared to sl. If you are allowed to take sl then it will be very difficult to catch up but it should be a smooth ride after that.

ReputationRep:
    If a science course asks for maths at an A level standard as a requirement, as a rule you generally need HL maths. If "studies is a joke compared to SL", it will be next to useless for a science degree. You might want to rethink things a bit if you can't change classes.

ReputationRep:
    Although I have no experience with the IB yet, I heard from many of my IB friends that math SL is really hard compared to math studies. Math Studies is a joke, apparently, and it's good that you're achieving a 6. If you do math SL it will probably drag your grade down a level. I knew people that got A* in IGCSE math and did the additional math, then went to do SL math and still found it horrendously difficult.

How far are you into IB? If it's too long, then I am really sorry to say that it will not be possible for you to change, because the amount of catch up is not what one person can handle, even with a tutor (unless you're a fast learner). But if you really want the challenge, have you tried talking to your parents about it? Tell them to write a letter...they can't NOT listen to your parents.

However, some universities will consider your application if you can achieve a 7 in math studies and would like to do sciences. You can stand a chance of getting into good universities if you could manage a 7 in both chemistry, biology and math studies. So don't be demotivated, cheer up! x

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone. well not many universities mention maths SL for a science degree infact it is only recommended for oxford (this is for biochemistry nothing like physics science) but I think it would help.

I am half way through my first year but I think I should have enough time. I understand doing maths SL it will drag my grade down a little however I think I can afford this as my assessments so far have been pretty good (36 w/o the 3 extra)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.