Turn on thread page Beta

Friend attempting suicide :( watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend attempted suicide about a week ago, I figure it was quite serious because he was in hospital for a few days and because he has to be revived on the way to hospital and I just feel so messed up in terms of emotions, I like feel sad that he was feeling that bad to try and do something like that but also kinda guilty for not being there enough for him.

He's a lovely guy, I knew he had problems going on in the background but in college he hides it all and tries to act normal. He's always helped me through bad times and that but I just don't know like what I can do to try and help him .

Has anyone else experienced this, if so how did you feel? And how did you deal with it?
    And how can I help support him?

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    How close are you as friends? Could you talk to him about it? Do you have any idea as to what it was that made him feel so low?

You've just got to be there for him now, help him recover from this and see that there is a lot in life that is worth living for - helping him look to the future and how it is him who decides what he makes of his life, and that if he throws it away like that he will hurt the people who care about him, the ones who are worth living for - something he probably doesn't want to do.

Make sure he knows that you will always be there for him and listen to him and you'd rather he turned to you than to suicide.

Fact: Girls cannot help suicidal male friends.

I've had a similiar situation with a friend - they didnt end up in hospital though.

If you're close friends with them - which you sound to be if hes helped you with things - then talk to him. He might not want too at first but just persevere and he might open up.

Talk with him and stuff i guess = / its a pretty individual thing though

My friend talks about killing himself when he's drunk and down sometimes. it scares me and my friends. Then he smiles a lot when he's around people during college etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleConverse)
    My friend attempted suicide about a week ago, I figure it was quite serious because he was in hospital for a few days and because he has to be revived on the way to hospital and I just feel so messed up in terms of emotions, I like feel sad that he was feeling that bad to try and do something like that but also kinda guilty for not being there enough for him.

He's a lovely guy, I knew he had problems going on in the background but in college he hides it all and tries to act normal. He's always helped me through bad times and that but I just don't know like what I can do to try and help him .

Has anyone else experienced this, if so how did you feel? And how did you deal with it?

Thanks guys
    Do you go to Xaverian College? I heard something like this happened with somebody in my year.

ReputationRep:
    Nope I don't go Xavierian sixth form.
    And thanks guys I'll try what you've suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    says who?

ReputationRep:
    I attempted suicide in November, as many people who reply to this will inevitably know from my threads.
    Anyway can I ask why he did it, what kind of problems etc?
    Be there for him. Don't be too clingy etc and give him his space because if you feel as bad as you do think what emotions etc he's going through. But perhaps send him a text sometimes in the evening, as if he wants to meet up etc perhaps to talk about it (although if he does want to talk obviously a social environment isn't bestnor with other people around, as he'll probably get emotional). I know this might sound stupid etc but give him a hug.

ReputationRep:
    why not?

How did I manage it then? And I know of another female who stopped a male attemtping suicide

/ruining your theory

OP, you need to just talk to him and encourage him to get some help. Go with him if needs be. Go to a GP, see a counsellor. Anything to stop him doing it again!

ReputationRep:
    Just be there for him, let him know you're there if he ever needs to talk, you can't force him but it will be good to let him know he has someone who cares about him.

There's only so much you can do for a person.

Don't do what I did: Cry and call him a kn*bhead :/

It was the worst thing I could have said, but it was all that came to me.

ReputationRep:
    Emo Friends FTL !!

When he's not an Emo anymore he will be fine so just keep him alive that long...OK !?

ReputationRep:
    One of my best friends was planning on killing herself once, so I told people who could protect her, including her parents, and she claimed I made it all up, and got me suspended for bullying.

..and then yes, tried to kill herself a few months ago.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, i don't think there's anything you can do
    I know it's horrible, but don't feel like you have a responsibility for him. When someone gets to a stage where they want to commit suicide there's nothing the likes of me and you can do, except try and stick with them as best as you can. Acting all weird might make things worse.

ReputationRep:
    My friend talks about killing himself when he's drunk and down sometimes. it scares me and my friends. Then he smiles a lot when he's around people during college etc.
    I did this last night.

I wasn't suicidal just very miserable and was crying for help.

I've scared a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleConverse)

Thanks guys
    Hi, I hope you saw my first post, not only for my advice but to see that I have also attempted suicide. All of us have been concentrating on how he feels (which frankly is most important obviously) but I've learned that it doesn't just effect the 'attemptee' but also people close to the, so tell me how you are feeling, and its ok to have a mix of anger/dissapointment/sadness or whatever (noone expects you to feel anything in particular now)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachesishere)
    Tbh, i don't think there's anything you can do
    I know it's horrible, but don't feel like you have a responsibility for him. When someone gets to a stage where they want to commit suicide there's nothing the likes of me and you can do, except try and stick with them as best as you can. Acting all weird might make things worse.
    Yeah this is true. Don't be all fake around him, and give him his space as I said in my first post (this is my third). However his intentions were to be dead now, quite honestly, so show him how much you appericiate the fact that he's not, and that he hasn't tried again yet.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the responses so far guys.
    I'm going to try and talk to him after his exams.
    Are there any dos of don'ts because I don't want to overstep the mark if you know what I mean :s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.