Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

asked to birthday party of someone youve not met Watch

say you only talk to this person online a few times and you have them on facebook etc.

then they ask you to go to their birthday party

would you go?

i dont want to and i dont know how to say "no i dont want to go" without them thinking im unsocial/scared... (i might be slightly)

but i would feel awkward not knowing anyone there and having never met them is very awkward for me

ReputationRep:
    dont go - problem solved.
    If your confident go, good chance in meeting new girls/guys

ReputationRep:
    If you have any doubts, don't go.

ReputationRep:
    If you really don't want to go, make up a family/work excuse, but if you actually to do want to but are just nervous to go having never met anyone (I know I would be!) then maybe ask them if you could take a friend or two with you? They probably won't say no and then you'll have people to talk to!

ReputationRep:
    Well how did you get to know them exactly.. friend of a friend or..?

ReputationRep:
    Depends where it is.. If its clubbing or going out then you can easily bail if things don't go to play.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't show up. Sorted.

(Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    Well how did you get to know them exactly.. friend of a friend or..?
    (Original post by ShengXin)
    If you really don't want to go, make up a family/work excuse, but if you actually to do want to but are just nervous to go having never met anyone (I know I would be!) then maybe ask them if you could take a friend or two with you? They probably won't say no and then you'll have people to talk to!
    yeah friend of a friend but the mutual friend isn't really their friend... if that makes sense!!

i was thinking, ah i can just say i have something, but i've been asked well in advanced or something, plus they know me quite well now and would know if im just saying an excuse because i dont wanna go

how would this sound
    "to be honest im quite shy and it would be awkward seeing as i havent met you before and i wont know anyone there!"

i am probably going to meet this person at uni and that is perfectly fine i'd rather we meet like that than at a place where everyone knows them and i dont and i cant sit and just talk to them only!

(Original post by Reems)
    Depends where it is.. If its clubbing or going out then you can easily bail if things don't go to play.
    yeah i was also then thinking i could make a brief appearance and leave after like 30/60 mins

ReputationRep:
    They want to rape you.

ReputationRep:
    It is normal for people to go to a big 18th even if they aren't close to the host. Bring a friend or something if you want.

ReputationRep:
    Just go!
    I went to one like that once at a club. It was pretty rubbish so I just went to another party instead!

ReputationRep:
    Just don't go.

If you do, take a friend there secretly...boost your confidence.

ReputationRep:
    Get drunk, turn up, suddenly everyone is your best friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    Get drunk, turn up, suddenly everyone is your best friend.
    Probably not a good idea to turn up drunk to a party where you know no one, this would only increase the chances of her having regretful sex as she won't have a friend to be be like "oh no you don't"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Probably not a good idea to turn up drunk to a party where you know no one, this would only increase the chances of her having regretful sex as she won't have a friend to be be like "oh no you don't"

However, decreases the chances of having regretful sex with someone they're going to see again.
    Or having to remember what happened.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.