The Student Room Group

I can't move on :(

Please, please keep anon :frown: or just delete. thanks.

Have you ever made one mistake in your life and that has turned everything upside down? When my brother died of cancer, I couldn't deal with AS levels anymore. I kept strong for my family though, didn't show any emotion/stress etc. Couple of months later, when everyone else was back on their feet, feeling better... I just lost it. I had a feeling I had some sort of depression, but I didn't do anything about it, because I knew my parents would be more devastated.

My AS results were crap and I also noticed I was gaining weight due to stress, so I thought that there must be one thing I needed to control and there started eating disorder. Biggest mistake of my life, because by the time we got to end of A2, I lost my concentration, getting 3 rejections from medical school didn't help either. I was put on a waiting list for one of the medical schools, but even if they got back to me I missed the grades (ABBB, standard for medicine AAA/AAB). The sad thing about it, the ed wasn't worth it, I had bmi of 20, so I don't even know why I did it... And I stopped it couple of months after my last A2 exam, I didn't get help for my depression/ed because I didn't want my parents to find out. I'm fine about the ed now, it was a silly(understatement, I know) thing to do, but I don't want to be depressed again.

Now, I just want to give up. I can't believe everything I worked for, I messed up during the most important year. Who does that? There was no point in reapplying this year because I haven't got the grades, so I'm basically doing nothing... except resitting couple of exams.
But I feel there's nothing I can do now, I won't get into medical school, I've let my parents and myself down. Now everytime I try and move on, I just can't get over my stupidity last year...

I don't know why I wrote this tbh, I just needed to have opinions/advice on this, because I can't take it anymore. :frown:
Reply 1
bump as it took a while to get it approved :smile:
Reply 2
Anonymous

Have you ever made one mistake in your life and that has turned everything upside down? When my brother died of cancer, I couldn't deal with AS levels anymore. I kept strong for my family though, didn't show any emotion/stress etc. Couple of months later, when everyone else was back on their feet, feeling better... I just lost it. I had a feeling I had some sort of depression, but I didn't do anything about it, because I knew my parents would be more devastated.

My AS results were crap and I also noticed I was gaining weight due to stress, so I thought that there must be one thing I needed to control and there started eating disorder. Biggest mistake of my life, because by the time we got to end of A2, I lost my concentration, getting 3 rejections from medical school didn't help either. I was put on a waiting list for one of the medical schools, but even if they got back to me I missed the grades (ABBB, standard for medicine AAA/AAB). The sad thing about it, the ed wasn't worth it, I had bmi of 20, so I don't even know why I did it... And I stopped it couple of months after my last A2 exam, I didn't get help for my depression/ed because I didn't want my parents to find out. I'm fine about the ed now, it was a silly(understatement, I know) thing to do, but I don't want to be depressed again.

Now, I just want to give up. I can't believe everything I worked for, I messed up during the most important year. Who does that? There was no point in reapplying this year because I haven't got the grades, so I'm basically doing nothing... except resitting couple of exams.
But I feel there's nothing I can do now, I won't get into medical school, I've let my parents and myself down. Now everytime I try and move on, I just can't get over my stupidity last year...

I don't know why I wrote this tbh, I just needed to have opinions/advice on this, because I can't take it anymore. :frown:

I'm sorry about your loss.

No one is perfect, we all make mistakes in life, so don't be too hard on yourself. Dealing with the death of a loved on is probably the most difficult thing to deal with in life and it takes a long time.

At the end of the day, some things in life are more important than passing exams or getting in to uni and your health should be your number one priority. There will always be the opportunity to go back and re-take exams or courses. Look at all the mature students.

Sometimes we learn more from our mistakes so no experience in life is completely useless. Have you spoke to your parents about this? I doubt you have let them down.

Latest

Trending

Trending