Turn on thread page Beta

Go on then, post a picture of your dashboard watch

ReputationRep:
    Now we've seen all the 'post a picture of your car' threads, and even the 'custard in your windscreen' thread but I haven't yet seen a 'picture of your dashboard' thread so here we go. Post a decent picture for us to see and do any explaining you want. I'll start off:

From bottom to top:
    -Three seats, useful for when the gf wants a cuddle or if I have the back converted into a bed and need to carry more than one passenger
    -Handbrake positioned vertically next to my left knee :yep:
    -Two speakers for my kick ass sound system that cost me less than £100 for the whole lot
    -Head unit for sound system, flip down front and AuxIn port for MP3 players
    -Switches for reversing light, rear work lamp and 240V inverter
    -240V inverter, powerful enough to charge a laptop which is useful
    -Ciggy lighter, current status: broken
    -Clock, current status: still working just about
    -Rear wash/wipe switch, current statue: almost broken
    -AWESOME almost full width dash pocket, so useful for throwing odd bits into
    -The old ashtray on top of the dash is soon to be made into a mini-garden, both sunlight and water are in abundance on the dash :awesome:

Off you go then, take some pictures and get posting

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    1970 Rover:

You can't really see the horizontal speedometer too well in that photo.

1971 VW camper:

(again, apologies for the awful pic).

1966 VW Beetle:

And after welding up the radio hole back to standard and fitting a blanking plate (just needs paint)...

ReputationRep:
    Posted before, in Hiking/Geocache mode...

Will try and add a better one in due course...

(un)interesting points:

2 Car cradles: In the only place where they don't obstruct some part of the screen thats important.
    1 Bear: Found at Emley Moor
    Stereo: Fitted fairly tidyly, with speakers in the roof
    Sunglasses. Blue. Can't live without them due to the sunblind taking up pretty much the whole screen from my height!

ReputationRep:

Why do I feel like the only person here with an intact interior?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)

Why do I feel like the only person here with an intact interior?
    because for some reason people feel satisfied driving half a car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Pictures
    What car is that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freecom2)
    What car is that?!
    Austin maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minardi)
    Posted before, in Hiking/Geocache mode...

Will try and add a better one in due course...

(un)interesting points:

2 Car cradles: In the only place where they don't obstruct some part of the screen thats important.
    1 Bear: Found at Emley Moor
    Stereo: Fitted fairly tidyly, with speakers in the roof
    Sunglasses. Blue. Can't live without them due to the sunblind taking up pretty much the whole screen from my height!
    Very valid point about the sunblind. Either get blinded or have a view of the road no further than 6 feet in front of your car :p: My stereo installation used to be really tidy with and head unit and two speakers in their own console between the two seats but I put the center seat back in and haven't yet got around to tidying up where they are now yet.

Also just going to point out; have you realised yet that if you unbolt the two floor facing hot air vents you can flip them around and bolt them back in facing up? If you flick the air lever from windscreen to feet you now get hot air on your face/body (after 15 minutes or so). It's also much more effective at heating the cabin space (especially hard in a 110 with a stripped out boot), especially in the middle position with both screen and blowers on. I'm tempted to gut a hair dryer and install the heating element in line from the motor with a simple switch to turn it on and off for instant hot air. Good idea or not? I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    mmm i want a car!

ReputationRep:
    Ah ha, mine is insanely generic and mundane after some of these...

Hopefully gonna grab a CD70 or DVD90 headunit and screen off ebay to add integrated sat nav.

ReputationRep:
    No yours isn't missing everything lol

ReputationRep:
    my dashboard looks like craigs as ive got a gti myself

And here i thought i was the only one who had an older car

ReputationRep:
    What car is that?!

My Austin 7

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    My Austin 7
    Now that's a car that I don't hear about very often... pictures of the whole car? The dash is lovely and very unique compared to the rest of this thread's!

(although the complete designless Landy dash is quite fun to look at as well :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Now that's a car that I don't hear about very often... pictures of the whole car? The dash is lovely and very unique compared to the rest of this thread's!
    Spoiler:
    Show

Could do with a bit of a restoration (it's coming off the road this summer for a complete repaint and hopefully a new roof - there's nothing actually wrong with the car at all, it just looks a bit shabby). I love it though

ReputationRep:

That is a basic drawing of my dash, though mine is right hand drive.

A better view of the whole thing, though mine has the speedo unit from the top picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    because for some reason people feel satisfied driving half a car
    You don't get bored driving a whole car?

ReputationRep:

(although the complete designless Landy dash is quite fun to look at as well :p: )
    Yeah Land Rover started with the Series 1 and 2 in the 60s and 70s with a metal dash, then put some plastic over it for the Series 3 but didn't really change much other than that, then some dense foam and more plastic for the OneTen and Ninety, and some more carpet (sometimes). Then the Defender came (like mine) with some more plastic but not a lot changed from the original really, except that new electrical bits kept on being added. The air con vents in the newer Defenders hang below the dash like my Radio Console and the controls are somewhere else and by 2007 they were still building on the original 60s design and just adding stuff where needed :p: Only in 2008 did the Puma Defender come out with a totally new dash, which looks like this:

But this is what they had just before that, and you can see it's exactly the same as mine from 15 years previously just with an extra bit stuck on in the middle for switches and the air con panel stuck underneath.

This is the dash from a '61 series 2A and you can see how easily how with some plastic and moving the dials to behind the steering wheel it became the Defender one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)
    Ah ha, mine is insanely generic and mundane after some of these...

Hopefully gonna grab a CD70 or DVD90 headunit and screen off ebay to add integrated sat nav.

<3 om nom nom nom

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.