Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I would really appreciate it if I could get advice on what is better... Looking into this for my friends and well there going to uni for the education, not into the whole party scene... sex scene etc? What’s the differences? what’s cheaper? What’s more expensive? or are they the same price really in the long run? Etc Thanks

Of course they'd be first year students and also very christian... and have strong beliefs? I dont know if this will change things but i thought id put it down anyways.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the private housing is cheaper because its self catering. Although with the halls, you get meals made for you. I guess it partly depends on how many people you want to live with and if you would want to cook for yourself personaly, i'm gonna stay in private houses because the rooms are quite a bit bigger than in the halls. hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    In you friends' case a private house will be a better option since when you live in the halls there will be more party scenes than your friends want .

Another thing is private houses have larger rooms than halls (same rental)

ReputationRep:
    In you friends' case a private house will be a better option since when you live in the halls there will be more party scenes than your friends want .

ReputationRep:
    I was going to move into a private house with friends when I started last September but didn't get one in time. Best thing that could have happened. Halls are pretty amazing you make so many more friends and have a brilliant social life.

I say halls win easily. And mine are self catered so are really affordable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidnguyen)

not all private houses have bigger rooms, someone always has to have the smaller ones, and then there are arguments.

also not all halls are geared to the party scene. The uni`s usually give you guidance on which are the quieter ones, and even try to match you with people of the same kinds of interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adelaidez)
    I would really appreciate it if I could get advice on what is better... Looking into this for my friends and well there going to uni for the education, not into the whole party scene... sex scene etc? What’s the differences? what’s cheaper? What’s more expensive? or are they the same price really in the long run? Etc Thanks

Of course they'd be first year students and also very christian... and have strong beliefs? I dont know if this will change things but i thought id put it down anyways.

Private housing comes with so many pitfalls, its too much to worry about as well as being at uni and taking care of all your own needs. If you dont like your housemates or theyre a pain, then your stuck in a messy tenancy with them, whereas in halls, you are under the care of the uni, and after paying one bill to cover heating lighting water etc, the rest of your money is your own. and its a fixed amount.

the rooms are a good size and the ensuites are fab.
    in a house you will never know what the bills are going to be, and if someone isnt going to pay them on time, and if youve got a nice landlord, why give yourself the extra worry when you can have your very own little studio type room with own bathroom if you want, for an affordable price?

also the halls have 24 hour security, which private doesnt, and with robberies of student accom high, i just think private is more vulnerable

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.