Turn on thread page Beta

UK to begin using spy drones to monitor population. watch

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Preasure] I realise many of you have objections to surveillance, but in what way do you feel it will be detrimental to your civil liberties? Just asking. [QUOTE]

That's the same thing that the Germans asked themselves.

Well, for one these changes are technological similarities of Nazi Germany and fascist Italy.

And, yes, I understand that there are lots of people on the street saying "Oh well, nothing to hide, nothing to fear." but this is only a very superficial issue.

But, if this goes on and nobody shows any resistance to this the government will have records on, well, pretty much everything you do.

So, who's to say they won't blackmail you if you were to run for a political position, or a job? They've got photos of you as a candidate crossdressing, or holding hands with your male lover, etc., the possibilities are endless.

Before you know it you've got a totally different definition of freedom.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    How are these any different to CCTV cameras, policemen walking around the streets or a police helicopter civil-liberties wise? The police aren't discovering any more about you than they would have known had an officer happened to be there anyway, and have less power to influence it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    How are these any different to CCTV cameras, policemen walking around the streets or a police helicopter civil-liberties wise? The police aren't discovering any more about you than they would have known had an officer happened to be there anyway, and have less power to influence it.
    Why not just force everyone to wear government-monitored GPS collars?

There's no invasion of privacy because they can't see what you're doing in your home, just that you're there. The police aren't discovering any more about you than they would have known had an officer happened to be there anyway, and they have less power to influence it.

Criminals would have no where to hide as long as they're tamper proof and it's illegal to remove them.

What reason could anyone possibly have to oppose them?

ReputationRep:
    This is scary tbh. The government isn't even bothering to cite 7/7 as it's bull justification this time, they are deploying war drones to catch antisocial people now. Whatever motives this government has for all this surveillance power they have granted themselves, these powers will exist to potentially be abused by any corrupt government down the line. The government and the police will now have every inch of the UK watched 24/7, they have access to information on every email, phone call and text message, they can legally hack your computer, they can detain without charge. If a truly corrupt government ever gains power (not that this one isn't pretty corrupt), then political opponents and protestors will have no chance.

No wonder the UK hasn't joined US in condemning China for its lack of freedom on the internet. It's getting just as bad here.

ReputationRep:
    It's getting more and more like 1983 every day :p:

ReputationRep:
    Seems quite unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    To be fair its true. There are alot of direct comparisons between New Labour and the 3rd Reich. Both systematically sought (seek in the case of New Labour) to reduce civil liberties and empower the state to the detriment of privacy and freedom.
    Oh come on! Have they removed all other political parties? Ended elections? Made people who disagree with them disappear? (As much as Gordon would like to :rolleyes:) Reintroduced conscription to both solve our unemployment woes and at the same time prepare to conquer the world?

Yes, there's issues with civil liberties, but that does not automatically make this the new 3rd Reich.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a major problem with the use of drones for surveillance, although I think they have no right to watch over peoples private homes. But the thing that concerns me most is that the police and government have not unequivocally ruled out selling the data recorded to private companies, this would be a step too far.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Why not just force everyone to wear government-monitored GPS collars?

There's no invasion of privacy because they can't see what you're doing in your home, just that you're there. The police aren't discovering any more about you than they would have known had an officer happened to be there anyway, and they have less power to influence it.

Criminals would have no where to hide as long as they're tamper proof and it's illegal to remove them.

What reason could anyone possibly have to oppose them?
    Except that does invade your privacy because the government is directly tracking you. Thats like arguing that CCTV cameras should exist nowhere because then if you walk in front of one someone knows exactly where you are :zomg: :zomg:.

These are just flipping CCTV cameras but in the sky, you can't complain more about an aerial CCTV camera than one on the ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Oh come on! Have they removed all other political parties? Ended elections? Made people who disagree with them disappear? (As much as Gordon would like to :rolleyes:) Reintroduced conscription to both solve our unemployment woes and at the same time prepare to conquer the world?

Yes, there's issues with civil liberties, but that does not automatically make this the new 3rd Reich.
    It's not an instant process. Your civil liberties are gradually being eroded, just like the German's civil liberties were slowly eroded throughout the 1930s.

Have a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRlOP...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqABeByRQI&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bsos...eature=related

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    It's not an instant process. Your civil liberties are gradually being eroded, just like the German's civil liberties were slowly eroded throughout the 1930s.

Have a look at this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRlOP...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dqABeByRQI&NR=1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bsos...eature=related
    Exactly. It all started within a week of Tony Blair taking power in 1997 when he banned handgun ownership.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darcy23)
    That's the same thing that the Germans asked themselves.
    Well, for one these changes are technological similarities of Nazi Germany and fascist Italy.
    CCTV wasn't used in public until the 60's? Hitler didn't need technology to keep tabs on people - he manipulated peoples views to make them informers on opponents.

But, if this goes on and nobody shows any resistance to this the government will have records on, well, pretty much everything you do.

So, who's to say they won't blackmail you if you were to run for a political position, or a job? They've got photos of you as a candidate crossdressing, or holding hands with your male lover, etc., the possibilities are endless.

Before you know it you've got a totally different definition of freedom.
    The media already does that. If a political candidate has a past the opposition can use against them then they'll find out and use it in their campaign - Cameron having smoked weed for example.

I think you overestimate how much the government cares and it's technological capability. While a drone could follow a police car chase, look for a missing person in fields and monitor congestion all at the same time, it could not keep a record of where everybody goes at all times. To keep 'records' of everything we do would be an enormous undertaking requiring billions of pounds and a huge amount of technology and man-power. And what would they gain by doing so? If they were genuinely doing it for our own good there are more cost effective methods of civil protection, and if they were doing it for nefarious reasons, what exactly would they be?

In other words, if you are concerned about the government 'keeping tabs on you', why do you feel they want/need that information?

ReputationRep:
    this **** is awful. The sad thing is I can't even say that I'll assassinate someone if it gets any worse, without police turning up on my door. They'd arrest em, take my D.N.A and not delete it (unlawfully of course). Who knows where they might plant it and arrest me then.

N.B. - I do not plan to, or am threatening, or have any links to anyone who could or would, assassinate anyone or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakePearson)
    Exactly. It all started within a week of Tony Blair taking power in 1997 when he banned handgun ownership.
    Handgun ownership was banned as a knee-jerk reaction following the Dunblaine massacre, and the public attacks on gun policy that followed. The ban was announced in 1996, over 6 months before the general election. Get your facts right.

ReputationRep:
    New Labour has been good for civil liberties because gun ownership and knife ownership has increased considerably. If the government tries to erode our civil liberties we're gonna stab em and shoot der mums innit bruv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preasure)
    Handgun ownership was banned as a knee-jerk reaction following the Dunblaine massacre, and the public attacks on gun policy that followed. The ban was announced in 1996, over 6 months before the general election. Get your facts right.
    It was a lucky coincidence. It was not banned in 1996: the Tory government followed the Cullen Report who said there was no problem. Blair and Labour made it a policy in 1996 and banned them in 1997. I know my facts, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    This is freaky

ReputationRep:
    It was a lucky coincidence. It was not banned in 1996: the Tory government followed the Cullen Report who said there was no problem. Blair and Labour made it a policy in 1996 and banned them in 1997. I know my facts, thank you very much.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3110949.stm
    The measure was announced by the Tory government in october 2006. The labour act that banned all handguns was an extension of this that banned only a particular class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preasure)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3110949.stm
    The measure was announced by the Tory government in october 2006. The labour act that banned all handguns was an extension of this that banned only a particular class.
    I'm going to kill my Modern Studies teacher... Labour banned all handguns, that's all that matters. It was still wrong and a violation of civil liberties.

ReputationRep:
    Zzzz govt. introduces this, govt. introduces that zzzzz; only on tsr can 'revolution become a necessity'.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.