Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Don't know whether to laugh or cry, this is a proposterous concept and would be a serious impediment of basic individual liberty

ReputationRep:
    Ah the labour party when will you not learn that 1984 WAS a warning not a template for future policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phugoid)
    Not really. The only way to rebel in a general election is to spoil your vote, and when you do that, they just count it as 'somebody who has drawn a **** on the ballot paper', rather than treating it as a vote of no confidence in any of the parties.

A general election is nothing but a 'formality' that we have to go through so we can call ourselves 'democratic', when it actual fact the general election is anything but democratic, and 5 years of government that follows a general election is also conducted in anything BUT a democratic manner.
    Very true, they all try and go on like they're different but each one is just as disiniterested and inept as the other.The people are nothing but pawns or numbers...they couldn't care less

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Preasure)
    CCTV wasn't used in public until the 60's? Hitler didn't need technology to keep tabs on people - he manipulated peoples views to make them informers on opponents.

The media already does that. If a political candidate has a past the opposition can use against them then they'll find out and use it in their campaign - Cameron having smoked weed for example.

I think you overestimate how much the government cares and it's technological capability. While a drone could follow a police car chase, look for a missing person in fields and monitor congestion all at the same time, it could not keep a record of where everybody goes at all times. To keep 'records' of everything we do would be an enormous undertaking requiring billions of pounds and a huge amount of technology and man-power. And what would they gain by doing so? If they were genuinely doing it for our own good there are more cost effective methods of civil protection, and if they were doing it for nefarious reasons, what exactly would they be?

In other words, if you are concerned about the government 'keeping tabs on you', why do you feel they want/need that information?
    That's exactly what I mean with the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" attitude.

Britain, unlike Germany, hasn't had a terrible history with dictatorship. Sure, there was Henry VIII and Oliver Cromwell but that was quite a while ago.

The fact that Britain is one of the most watched countries isn't a secret. A measure of security? Sure, but why don't we see CCTV cameras in every corner of Germany? Because the public is opposed and the people have strong opinions against it. Can you blame them? Of course not, because they have had a history that taught them to be aware of political unawareness. They've already been given a sharp lesson on what happens when you are not aware.

I'm not saying Britain isn't politically aware, but they are being too tolerant with what is going on. It's great that people are complaining about it but they are not protesting. People and politicians are more likely to complain about late buses than a 1984 scenario.

Maybe the British would rather avoid protests because that would result in late buses? lol

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, what you reap is what you sow.

Let's not forget that.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Darcy23)
    That's exactly what I mean with the "nothing to hide, nothing to fear" attitude.

Britain, unlike Germany, hasn't had a terrible history with dictatorship. Sure, there was Henry VIII and Oliver Cromwell but that was quite a while ago.

The fact that Britain is one of the most watched countries isn't a secret. A measure of security? Sure, but why don't we see CCTV cameras in every corner of Germany? Because the public is opposed and the people have strong opinions against it. Can you blame them? Of course not, because they have had a history that taught them to be aware of political unawareness. They've already been given a sharp lesson on what happens when you are not aware.

I'm not saying Britain isn't politically aware, but they are being too tolerant with what is going on. It's great that people are complaining about it but they are not protesting. People and politicians are more likely to complain about late buses than a 1984 scenario.

Maybe the British would rather avoid protests because that would result in late buses? lol

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, what you reap is what you sow.

Let's not forget that.
    Well done, a long rambling post in which you call a king and a founder of a republic dictators and completely miss the point of the post you are replying to, have a toffee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darcy23)

.....Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, what you reap is what you sow.

Let's not forget that.
    Your argument seems to be based on an assumption that the government is not a benevolent one, or could become one unless we prevent it. While I understand what you mean by saying that erosion of liberties can occur slowly until a point is reached where a regime can become totalitarian without the public noticing, I think you're incorrect in assuming that the government wants to remove our rights. As I've previously stated, excessive control of the populace would be too inefficient, and I think that while our leaders can be flawed and make the wrong decisions, they've got our best interests at heart. MP's are human after all.

If we had a national front government I might agree with you, but there's a balance to be struck between risk and response, and right now I don't see a reason to fear our leaders in the foreseeable future.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.