Turn on thread page Beta

New York, suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    i've been to new york once when i was 15 and visited the expected sites.. empire state, statue of liberty, moma etc etc..

just wondering if anyone's got any random interesting places to go see/learn about..

i love nyc's history especially the glamarous/theatre side - love museums/art galleries...

oh and!!

what's the deal with ID in NYC? i'm 18 and understand i won't be able to go around drinking however are they leniant with fake id? could anyone give me some advice?

and i'd be happy to hear just anything about nyc people have from past experience, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about New York but I know America on the whole is VERY strict on ID. I heard stories about people getting their visas revoked etc. The only first hand experience I had was at a meal (about 15-20 of us) a 20 year old took a sip of someones cocktail so they made all the over 21's sit on a seperate table and threatened to kick us all out if any under-21 year old went near a drink again! (That was in a town near Philadelphia, not in New York though).

It's not hugely informative but the Rockefella center at night was good - it has a better view than the Empire States building apparently (and you can see the State building all lit up). I don't know if its really worth it if you've already been up the Empire State building though.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I would recommend The Rockefeller Center as well. I know you've done the ESB, but Top of the Rock gives you a different perspective with much shorter queues.

I don't know if you're into shopping, but Century 21 is a fantastic place. It's a huge discount department store next to the WTC site and is well worth a look for cheap, authentic designer stuff.

We really enjoyed the DUMBO area of Brooklyn. It's a gentrified area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges with lots of interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Get your practice in on GTA.

ReputationRep:
    Peanut butter fan?! Try this little cafe out Peanut Butter and co. http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/ near Greewich Village it was awesome!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChilleDude)
    Watch out for the negroes yo. they WILL get you
    Boo :afro:

ReputationRep:
    Check out the Rockerfeller Centre. Brilliant.

Also have a mooch around Little Italy and Chinatown

ReputationRep:
    I went in the summer - had an amazing time, I suggest walking the manhattan/brooklyn bridge - took like 45 min, was fun though

Chinatown has nice food, but it stinks and is quite ugly , Grand Central Station is nice, they have amazing cheescakes in the cafe there :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Greenwich village is a nice area, as is the park there. Plus there'll probably be a strange crossdressing hobo there, I believe he hangs around there a lot as I receive occasional reports from one of my friends from Jersey that he's still hanging around there.

He was standing in the centre of the fountain with a big stick. I think he was pretending to be Rafiki.

I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway, which was pretty phenomenal.

Food-wise, Little Italy is overpriced and lame, whereas Chinatown has fantastic food (don't be put off by how ****** the place looks).

I didn't get ID'd in bars there and I look pretty young but I wouldn't count on it.

If you're not familiar with the street-naming convention in Manhattan, numbered streets run east to west to east and are numbered from 1st Street in the south all the way up through 100th street with Harlem falling around 130th. You generally don't want to stay there. Avenues are numbered from west to east, running north-south. Bear this in mind on the subway and a terrible system becomes a lot easier as you only really need to know whether you're going up or downtown.

If you're in the area, there's a really nice, cheap diner on 107th and Broadway. I had scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, orange juice and four cups of coffee for $7.

Natural History Museum is pretty good. Huge and cheap, with decent tours.

As above, the Brooklyn bridge is a fantastic walk, but I'd recommend starting at the Brooklyn end and walking back to Manhattan (that way you have the Manhattan skyline and bridge in your view throughout). Do it at night time, too; much more impressive.

I stumbled across Trump Towers while I was there, too, which is open to the public for free (though only the bottom few floors) and is quite impressive on the inside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    ^^ I would recommend The Rockefeller Center as well. I know you've done the ESB, but Top of the Rock gives you a different perspective with much shorter queues.

I don't know if you're into shopping, but Century 21 is a fantastic place. It's a huge discount department store next to the WTC site and is well worth a look for cheap, authentic designer stuff.

We really enjoyed the DUMBO area of Brooklyn. It's a gentrified area between the Brooklyn and Manhattan bridges with lots of interesting stuff.
    Yeah thats true. After going through the ticket check I was at the top within 10 minutes.

I don't know whether the Empire States Building is as well, but Top of the Rock was open-air which I think makes it seem better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I saw Mary Poppins on Broadway, which was pretty phenomenal.

Natural History Museum is pretty good. Huge and cheap, with decent tours.
    Broadway:eek: , we wanted to see Shrek or Stomp, but the pirces were like £150 per person!!...how much did you pay?

Natural History Museum, i believe is free, but you can purchase tickets to get into like the are where there were live frongs, but tbh it wasn't all that, and it was way too big.

Oh yeah dont forget Central Park, the atmosphere there is amazing:yep:, oh and the UN building is quite nice, you can have a look around there..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    Broadway:eek: , we wanted to see Shrek or Stomp, but the pirces were like £150 per person!!...how much did you pay?
    $60 per ticket, orchestra section, 10 rows back, centre. Thanks for reminding me about this. Do not buy from the box office. Go to tkts (47th street and Broadway) and look at the discount ticket prices there. My (American) friend and I got an extremely good deal, which would have cost over $300 at the box office. Also, I heard from some people in the queue that Shrek is terrible :P

Natural History Museum, i belive is free, but you can purchase tickets to get into like the are where there were live frongs, but tbh it wasn't all that, and it was way too big.
    Technically, it's free, but there is a standard donation, which you must pay for special exhibitions.

Oh yeah dont forget Central Park, the atmosphere there is amazing:yep:
    Yeah, central park is amazing. Took around 5 hours to walk half the length of it, but we were treated to lakes, funfairs, zoos, woodlands, castles and baseball fields on the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)

what's the deal with ID in NYC? i'm 18 and understand i won't be able to go around drinking however are they leniant with fake id? could anyone give me some advice?

They'll only really accept a passport for non-americans. If you get caught, you'll probs get a fine and a record, meaning it'll be hard to get back into the USA again.

Plus they ID anybody who looks under 30 :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Be sure to check out the burger joint at the Le Parker Meridien Hotel lobby. Nondescript place, but has really awesome grub. And not many tourists know about it.

http://www.parkermeridien.com/eat4.php

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    They'll only really accept a passport for non-americans. If you get caught, you'll probs get a fine and a record, meaning it'll be hard to get back into the USA again.

Plus they ID anybody who looks under 30 :confused:
    this is so depressing being a uk citizen who's able to drink where ever he likes :9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartofengland)
    Also if your into sports check out ticketmaster where you can buy baseball (yankees in bronx is easy to get to), basketball tickets as well as Broadway and any other shows
    tkts is much better for Broadway tickets.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the advice/tips guys! keep them coming
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    You make it sound like NYC is horrid to walk around. How long would it take to walk from say Wall Street to Times Square? Also, how much are things like ESB, subway etc. Is it worth buying clothes once there rather than buying them here? Oh, and ferries and things, can you get one around the Hudson?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChilleDude)
    Watch out for the negroes yo. they WILL get you
    Watch out for the trolls yo. They WILL irritate you :rollseyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    this is so depressing being a uk citizen who's able to drink where ever he likes :9
    Just pack a few bottles of vodka in your suitcase?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.