Turn on thread page Beta

New York, suggestions? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    You make it sound like NYC is horrid to walk around. How long would it take to walk from say Wall Street to Times Square? Also, how much are things like ESB, subway etc. Is it worth buying clothes once there rather than buying them here? Oh, and ferries and things, can you get one around the Hudson?
    I'd estimate an hour to an hour and a half from Wall Street to Times Square. Subway is pretty cheap; $2 a journey or $8 a day. There are also weekly and monthly passes, which are very much worth it, given that you will be using the Subway as your legs.

Shopping there is pretty good in department stores, though there is no Target in Manhattan and dedicated clothes stores are quite expensive. I did most of my shopping at an outlet village in Massachusetts.

ReputationRep:
    pokemon centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    Just pack a few bottles of vodka in your suitcase?
    i'd like to aswell experience nyc's nightlife

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum9999)
    Yeah thats true. After going through the ticket check I was at the top within 10 minutes.

I don't know whether the Empire States Building is as well, but Top of the Rock was open-air which I think makes it seem better.
    The ESB is open air, although you're penned in by alcatraz-style fencing - it feels like you're in cage. I was amazed by the openness of Top of the Rock - apparently it's designed to resemble the deck of an open liner - it makes you feel like you're floating above the city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    i'd like to aswell experience nyc's nightlife
    There's students night at some clubs where they let people 18+ in, but no alcohol will be served.

You're fighting a impossible battle tbh mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    You make it sound like NYC is horrid to walk around. How long would it take to walk from say Wall Street to Times Square? Also, how much are things like ESB, subway etc. Is it worth buying clothes once there rather than buying them here? Oh, and ferries and things, can you get one around the Hudson?
    It's not horrid - walking around one of the greatest cities in the world could never be considered that. But it is extremely tiring. We went at the beginning of september and it was pretty warm (approaching 30c on most days). Couple this with the fact that NYC is far from being a clean air city, and walking around quickly becomes tiring.

Wall Street to Times Square is just under 4 miles as the crow flies. Factoring in contending with busy streets and lots of pedestrian crossings, you're looking at a good hour and a half.

From what I remember both the ESB and the Rockefeller Center were about $20 each, and we got an unlimited ride 7 day Metrocard for $27 - a bargain considering how much we used the subway.

Another recommendation I'd give to the OP is the Rodeo Bar and Grill at 375 3rd Avenue. Brilliant little place with a fantastic atmosphere (especially when there's a live band there), great food, great drinks and very friendly people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bitewing)
    Peanut butter fan?! Try this little cafe out Peanut Butter and co. http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/ near Greewich Village it was awesome!!
    That place is indeed amazing, chocolate peanut butter :coma:

I loved going to NYC, we found this great Asian restaurant around Times Square. I think it's down 47th street, but I can't remember. Times Square is no fun though..

We walked everywhere, walked all the way from 5th avenue to the Met Museum and back and didn't have a problem.
    Broadway plays are great, there is always something wonderful to see, for us we saw "Exit the King" with Geoffrey Rush. China Town is a must, there are wonderful little venues with great food, though you wouldn't think so by the looks of it.

Be careful with a fake ID, I've heard some places have a kind of UV light that can tell if it's a fake ID or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Tingler)
    We walked everywhere, walked all the way from 5th avenue to the Met Museum and back and didn't have a problem.
    The Met is on 5th Avenue :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Long Island.

Either stay in a hotel there (it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Manhattan) or travel there, have a look round, go to the beach etc. and then get the overland train back to Manhattan

The skyline :love:

Also - don't screw around with the Yankee's. See the Mets. They're on Long Island too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    Long Island.

Either stay in a hotel there (it's a hell of a lot cheaper than Manhattan) or travel there, have a look round, go to the beach etc. and then get the overland train back to Manhattan

The skyline :love:

Also - don't screw around with the Yankee's. See the Mets. They're on Long Island too.
    I saw the Mets. I saw them lose to the Cubs.

Also, staying in Manhattan is much easier and much more fun than staying in Long Island.

ReputationRep:
    go to a batting cage!
    and if you haven't been before try the Guggenheim
    and Little Italy and Soho for shopping
    as for history Ground Zero is certainly humbling and you probably already have but look round the Ellis Island museum - I found it so interesting
    Broadway? Three words: The Lion King. It is mindblowingly good. If that's not your thing try Billy Elliot which is almost as good

ReputationRep:
    I forgot to mention the 1 week metro pass is probably the biggest bargain you will ever have! As mentioned its abt £15 for the whole week and to get around generally its all you will/need to use! Remember from the top of manhatten to the very bottom is approx 22miles long, that should demonstrate just how small manhatten is but when your there it feels massive!

Also check out stubhub for sports/general tickets, you need to ring to book them up as they dont recognise uk postcodes but they send printable tickets, id recommend sorting this all out b4 you go cos once ur there everything is time consuming and doesnt allow you to see as much.

ReputationRep:
    I saw Wicked at the Gershwin theatre, its currently the no. 1 broadway show and every night was a sellout!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    The Met is on 5th Avenue :tongue:
    :pinch:

Good thing no one is relying on me for directions. :redface:

ReputationRep:
    there's a club in Astoria, NY called Oneiro (Dream) that's 18 and over!

ReputationRep:
    See some sports - hockey (ice) and baseball are relatively cheap (I've had $20 tickets). Football is expensive (a cheap ticket is $125) and you have to take the train to New Jersey but you just follow the crowd. Not sure about basketball - never been

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kissurmojo)
    See some sports - hockey (ice) and baseball are relatively cheap (I've had $20 tickets). Football is expensive (a cheap ticket is $125) and you have to take the train to New Jersey but you just follow the crowd. Not sure about basketball - never been
    Basketball is pretty cheap too, you can get "nosebleed" seats for about $20. If you want to be closer its goes up a little bit more to around $40 I think

ReputationRep:
    It kinda depends where you go in New york, whether you'll get ID'd. You probably will in restaurants, so don't even try (me and my family went to TGI Fridays, and even my mother who's 50 got ID'd!), yet this irish pub that me and my bf went to, neither of us got ID'd (I'd only just turned 21, definitely do not look 21, and my boyfriend had just turned 22).

You could try and visit the Radio City Music Hall. Nice to fill an afternoon with. Only takes about an hour or so to look round, and is fairly cheap. Its on 6th Ave, between 50th and 51st street. Not far from Rockerfeller centre actually.

ReputationRep:
    Rop of the Rock is fantastic. So much better than ESB. Don't do the tour of the Rockefeller centre though - it is so so boring!

If you want to do Ground Zero related stuff St. Paul's Chapel and the Ground Zero Museum Workshop. Obviously, they're pretty depressing but they're really good things to do - very moving and humbling as someone else said. I'm not sure, you may have to book for the workshop thing.

Ellen's Stardust Diner is a fantastic place to eat (for the experience, rather than the food!).

The UN Building is pretty interesting too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    i've been to new york once when i was 15 and visited the expected sites.. empire state, statue of liberty, moma etc etc..

just wondering if anyone's got any random interesting places to go see/learn about..

i love nyc's history especially the glamarous/theatre side - love museums/art galleries...

oh and!!

what's the deal with ID in NYC? i'm 18 and understand i won't be able to go around drinking however are they leniant with fake id? could anyone give me some advice?

and i'd be happy to hear just anything about nyc people have from past experience, thanks!

If you wanna experience NYC's nightlife..wait 3yrs. NYC and the whole of America is VERY strict on ID. It's not worth the serving you, just for you to have a great night, when they could get fine, sacked, there alcohol license revoked, or even shut down.

Try getting of Manhattan, I would say Times Square aswell, but you love theatre, NYC has museums on everything I sure there's one about Broadway, shows etc...

Experience the other boroughs; Queens (great food at Jackson Heights, or the Unisphere at Flushing Meadows Park), Brooklyn (visit the hip Williamsburg, walk the Brooklyn Bridge), the Bronx (visit the zoo, get some real Itailan food at Arthur Ave) and Staten Island.

Spend a day getting lost in Central Park

Hang around Washington Square Park, with the other NYU students

Have a great trip.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.