Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

New York, suggestions? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    SEE A SHOW ON BROADWAY! Its a wonderful experience. An interesting taste of america is to see a baseball game, lots of energy and sometimes rudiculous fans. The carnigie deli near times square is prophetic and central park has its charm. If you ever watch the shorts before Pixar movies you will reconize the chess scene from one of them. Thrift stores there are often times huge and one can find a plethora of interesting knick knacks.
    concerning fake ids, most bars are not very relaxed when it comes to that

ReputationRep:
    The HI Hostel on 103rd West runs 12 and 16 hour walking tours. Cheap. So you literally see NY in a day, tick all the sights and get a chance spend the rest of the week looking at quirkier stuff. Worth showing up there for the pre-lash and club nights (free entry to clubs with high cover charges that also have non-drinking options for 20 year old 'minors' ;-) on Fri and Sat, even if you're not staying there. Their website should have it all.

Stop off inside the Times Square Marriott hotel for a pee break...and for a ride in the fancy elevators (seriously).

You'll find small stores that are willing to turn a blind eye on selling you booze, you might find a bar that won't ID (good luck) but in clubs you've got almost no chance. Often those of legal drinking age get a wristband, and if you're seen holding/sipping/looking at a real drink and don't have a band, security is -quick-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    I'd estimate an hour to an hour and a half from Wall Street to Times Square. Subway is pretty cheap; $2 a journey or $8 a day. There are also weekly and monthly passes, which are very much worth it, given that you will be using the Subway as your legs.

Shopping there is pretty good in department stores, though there is no Target in Manhattan and dedicated clothes stores are quite expensive. I did most of my shopping at an outlet village in Massachusetts.
    Wall street and times square are only about 4 miles apart from one another, so it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes with traffic

For food I recommend Wu Liang Ye at 36 West 48th Street. It's amazing chinese food. Portions are big so don't order too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    Wall street and times square are only about 4 miles apart from one another, so it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes with traffic
    Sure, if you're walking around 10mph :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Free art museums

Fusion Arts Museum: Always free
    http://www.fusionartsmuseum.org/

57 Stanton Street
    Lower East Side (nearest station: 2nd Avenue on the F and V lines, Grand Street on the B and D lines, and Bleeker Street on the # 6 line.)

Museum of Arts and Design: On Thursday, 6:00 - 9:00 pm: Pay-What-You-Wish Usually $15 I paid a dime But I did spend $45 in the gift shop
    http://www.madmuseum.org/

2 COLUMBUS CIRCLE (corner of central park) (Nearest station: A, B, C, D or No. 1 to Columbus Circle at 59th Street)

Museum of Modern Art: FREE: 4:00 to 8:00 p.m on Friday usually $20- BUT to get the tickets I had to line up from 2:30pm (again, I spent loads in the gift shop... $56)
    http://www.moma.org/

11 West Fifty-third Street, between Fifth and Sixth avenues. (Nearest station: 5th Ave- 53rd St [E.V])

Whitney Art museum: Ages 18 and under go FREE!!!
    http://whitney.org/

945 Madison Avenue (Nearest station: 77th St station [6])

Although not free, I would highly recommend.... Guggenheim Museum I went and loved it

Costs: Adults $18, Students with valid ID $15

1071 Fifth Avenue (at 89th Street) (Nearest station: To reach the museum by subway, take the 4, 5, or 6 train to 86th Street. Walk west on 86th Street, turn right at 5th Avenue and proceed north to 88th Street.)

ReputationRep:
    Super jealous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnum Opus)
    You make it sound like NYC is horrid to walk around. How long would it take to walk from say Wall Street to Times Square? Also, how much are things like ESB, subway etc. Is it worth buying clothes once there rather than buying them here? Oh, and ferries and things, can you get one around the Hudson?
    Wall street to Time Square 1-1.5 hours. Take comfy shoes and use common sense. Stick to the main streets. You'll be fine

Trip round Manhatten- take the circle line, which leaves from pier 42 (west end of 42nd st.)

I think clothes are much cheaper and if you can get a trip to the outlet centers (Woodbury Common is a good one), they're dirt cheap

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.