The Student Room Group

If i took Physics at A level woul you say it would be essential to take maths aswel?

Hi, im choseing my A level at the moment and in the future im wanting to go into medicine. For A levels im wanting to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics and either Religious Studies, Economics or Geography. I do really hate maths with a passion and would possibly find cutting my own genetalia off with a rusty spoon more plesant than doing A level maths. So the question is really how much maths content is there in A level physics and would my B in GCSE maths be sufficient enough to understand all the maths cirteria at A level Physics.

PS. I dont know if it helps but my school uses AQA exam board for A level Physics.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
JordanUK
Hi, im choseing my A level at the moment and in the future im wanting to go into medicine. For A levels im wanting to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics and either Religious Studies, Economics or Geography. I do really hate maths with a passion and would possibly find cutting my own genetalia off with a rusty spoon more plesant than doing A level maths. So the question is really how much maths content is there in A level physics and would my B in GCSE maths be sufficient enough to understand all the maths cirteria at A level Physics.

PS. I dont know if it helps but my school uses AQA exam board for A level Physics.

Thank you

You don't have to do it at a level, if you're maths is generally okay (especially with standard form and rearranging formulae) then you should be fine.

Having said that if you hate maths that much there probably WILL be too much of it in the subject for your liking.

However it rings a bell that some medical schhools like three maths or science subjects at as level? Dont quote me on that but its worth checking out maybe?
Taking the Mechanics modules in Maths A levels will really help you in Physics. Also I think if you want to do Medicine then having Maths A level would be an advantage to your university applications when compared to other subjects. Good luck :smile:
It would be a great advantage if you did, my cousin did A-level physics without doing maths and he really struggled with it, but just about managed. But there is nothing to say that you have to do maths! :smile:
People in my class in A2 Physics who haven't taken AS mathematics do struggle. Although if you're willing to put the work in and do some extra mathematics study for the topics you're going to need for A2 Physics then you'll probably be alright.
I wouldn't think you need A2 mathematics that's for sure but I would recommend taking AS mathematics. Plus as far as I know medicine does prefer mathematics and science subjects although they also like a bit of diversity so like Kirky said maybe worth researching.
Most colleges let you transfer about a bit at the beginning of the year so perhaps give mathematics a go and if you still feel like castrating yourself drop it and pick up something else.
Reply 5
Erm, great analogy. TBH if you hate maths that much then I don't know how much you're actually going to enjoy A-level Physics. There's a fair bit of theory, which is good, but you've also got a hefty amount of equations to remember and apply.
Reply 6
Ye but taking chemistyr, biology, physics and maths for A level and pplying to uni with them is just so expected and QMUL even say preference is given to those who have one Humanitys subject at AS level, ugh choices, choices
Skadoosh
Erm, great analogy. TBH if you hate maths that much then I don't know how much you're actually going to enjoy A-level Physics. There's a fair bit of theory, which is good, but you've also got a hefty amount of equations to remember and apply.

Depends on your exam board. For edexcel you get given all the formulae so hating equations and algebra shouldn't be that much of an issue.
Having said that I wouldn't recommend Edexcel for Physics to anyone.... but that's another story.
Reply 8
JordanUK
Ye but taking chemistyr, biology, physics and maths for A level and pplying to uni with them is just so expected and QMUL even say preference is given to those who have one Humanitys subject at AS level, ugh choices, choices

Yes but if you dont do maths or physics you only have two scientific subjects. Id definately go for three, at least to AS. Then pick a humanities as your fourth if you really want.
Reply 9
It says on my 6form prospectus that studants taking physics without maths will have to do 1 compulsory maths lesson per week which is given by the teachers in the physics department.
If you hate maths that much then don't do it because you'll be stuck with the course for 2 years and it's not worth it. Pick a course you want to do. I do economics.
IMO gcse maths is enough to cover physics. :smile:
Let's put it this way, it'd be unusual not to. It's not essential, but you may stuggle with some concepts if not doing Maths.
Reply 12
I'm on the same level as you mate, I'm Considering Medicine too.

I know Biology and Chemistry are essential, Geography i'm taking too, but I also want to do Engineering maybe which would involve either maths or physics. So the dilemma I have is do I take Biology Chem and physics with geog or just Biology and Chemistry.?
Two people in my physics class don't do maths and get on just fine.
It depends. For AS, you need to rearrange formula, so that's fine.
But the problem with physics isn't using the maths, it's understanding it.

Taking AS maths with M1 as your applied module will really help with AS physics. And likewise, taking A2 maths with M2 as your applied module will help too. Even better would be do take further maths and take M3, but that's quite difficult.

People in my A2 class who even take A2 maths are struggling. Topics such as circular motion and simple harmonic motion can be hard to understand in physics, because you just have to believe the equations are right.

Personally, I cannot understand anything unless it has been derived for me. We spent over a month doing circular motion and SHM, but I could not do a single question on either. However, now that I've started these topics in my maths lessons, where you are expected to use calculus and stuff, I understand them very well.
Reply 15
Maths isn't an essential for medicine, but I guess if you're doing physics it might help. I'm doing Physics without maths and do find some of it challenging but if I were doing maths then I'd be very unhappy due to my hatred of maths.

Its not that bad so far, only GCSE maths standard.
(Online)
Maths isn't an essential for medicine, but I guess if you're doing physics it might help. I'm doing Physics without maths and do find some of it challenging but if I were doing maths then I'd be very unhappy due to my hatred of maths.

Its not that bad so far, only GCSE maths standard.

Some courses, especially those at the 'highest' unis require Maths.
Reply 17
Wata
I'm on the same level as you mate, I'm Considering Medicine too.

I know Biology and Chemistry are essential, Geography i'm taking too, but I also want to do Engineering maybe which would involve either maths or physics. So the dilemma I have is do I take Biology Chem and physics with geog or just Biology and Chemistry.?

If you're even considering engineering you need maths and possibly even further maths.
Reply 18
You need atleast AS level maths to tackle A2 physics without having to spend ages going over the basics (that you would have covered... in AS maths..)
Reply 19
It really is an advantage.

With mechanics, for example, (especially SHM) it's a lot easier to remember where the different formulae come from if you can apply calculus, and they're also fairly easy to derive that way. They do write the course so A-Level maths is not needed, however, but it does generally involve the long way round.

Latest