Turn on thread page Beta

If i took Physics at A level woul you say it would be essential to take maths aswel? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I got a B at AS and now I am predicted a B at A2 as well.
    I haven't taken maths at A level although I kind of regret it as I would have done a lot better in Maths than in Biology at AS.

If your okay with numbers and proving equations you will be fine (I love proving ) you will be fine!!!!
    I am the only person in my group who doesn't do maths but I am either ahead of them or on par with most of them when it comes to the calculations because most of them make it too complicated than it needs to be.

If you enjoy the subject you should be fine.

I didn't take Maths because I also hate it and there's been no problem from it other than my own slack. There's nothing too complicated in there as long as you put time and effort on it (like always)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    Yeah true.
    TBH i was exaggerating a teeny bit. AS physics is putting numbers into a calculator. A2 is where it all goes to pot.
    Yep. Unfortunately no-one told me this before i took A2 physics :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Physics is fine at a level without maths. I did it and i got an A at A level. You might just need to get a friend to show you how to do natural logs but apart from that it's all pretty simple if you're ok at rearranging equations.

I hated maths, and it was my lowest GCSE. (Well, I still got an A, but you know, I really lost all interest in it.)

However, I took Physics for A-Level just because I'm a big nerd and I liked all the science-y stuff. I hadn't done Ad Maths for GCSE or anything, so the mechanics and logs stuff stumped me a bit at first. It was really annoying because all the people in my physics class were kinda saying stuff along the lines of "OH YEAH WE JUST DID THIS IN FURTHER MATHS LAST WEEK. EASY." Grr. Get used to that.

I just found some ancient 80's maths books in my school library and practised mechanics questions from those. Until my fingers bled etc.

I got nearly 95% in the AS and have been predicted an A*, so if I was alright, you'll be alright.

Plus the further maths people I beat weren't too happy. That's satisfying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Nope. I was the only person in the class without maths and i didnt slow the class down at all. In fact i came top in the year in the in school exams and did the best in the class on the physics olympiad...

I do actually know what im talking about here. This is my life, you are just imagining what it would be like.
    Well bar the ego trip, the average person isn't living your life. Put it into perspective and see how the average person with maths and physics does against someone with just physics. I take it back to my original point where you CAN do it but it would take more work.
    C1 - easy
    C2 - quite a bit of material that can compliment AS physics
    M1 - practically all unit 1 mechanics

The workload of that in comparison to AS biology or chemistry is incredibly tiny. Tbh I'd say the workload is cut by about 75% between the two subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    Well bar the ego trip, the average person isn't living your life. Put it into perspective and see how the average person with maths and physics does against someone with just physics. I take it back to my original point where you CAN do it but it would take more work.
    C1 - easy
    C2 - quite a bit of material that can compliment AS physics
    M1 - practically all unit 1 mechanics

The workload of that in comparison to AS biology or chemistry is incredibly tiny. Tbh I'd say the workload is cut by about 75% between the two subjects.
    Look, seriously. You are wrong and are only going to end up putting people off of a good subject.

Unit 1 mechanics is extreemly easy. All you need to do is know the equations. physics does not require any understanding of how to derive the equations. Its sad, as this is quite interesting, but all you need to know are the basic equations. I didn't need maths to teach me this.

It did take more work. I would quantify that down to about 3 hours across the two years i've been studying physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    Not even with capacitors and having to use e and ln? Or the trig in magnetic fields? Or with simple harmonic motion, using the sine waves which is basically tranforming graphs? Or with radians in circular motion?
    I woud've been like :lolwut: if I hadn't taken maths.
    I have not come across e and ln in a physics paper before and I doubt I will. For SHM, it only involves basic trig graphs which you should already know from GCSE Maths. I've never seen a circular motion question from Maths before. :eek: That's probably from the mechanics module but I don't do that. And I don't know anything about capacitors and magnetic fields... :confused:
    Oh well... well I suppose that to an extent, mechanics might help with a bit of Physics but it won't be a huge benefit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superman_Jr)
    I have not come across e and ln in a physics paper before and I doubt I will. For SHM, it only involves basic trig graphs which you should already know from GCSE Maths. I've never seen a circular motion question from Maths before. :eek: That's probably from the mechanics module but I don't do that. And I don't know anything about capacitors and magnetic fields... :confused:
    Oh well... well I suppose that to an extent, mechanics might help with a bit of Physics but it won't be a huge benefit.
    e is in AQA A2 physics new spec in the capacitors part of unit 4.

ReputationRep:
    its not essential, but when i did physics was the only one out of the class who didint do maths... saying that... i got one of the highest marks

ReputationRep:
    I am doing it without! doing it with maths is definitely preferable though, even simple stuff like rearranging equations can make things more of a challenge when you're next to people who get alot of practice at it, and it wastes time really.

But it's definitely manageable, you just have to work a bit harder! Most of the maths is fairly basic formulas and stuff. If you find you're struggling you can always go to the maths department and ask for help on specific stuff you think might make it easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanUK)
    Hi, im choseing my A level at the moment and in the future im wanting to go into medicine. For A levels im wanting to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics and either Religious Studies, Economics or Geography. I do really hate maths with a passion and would possibly find cutting my own genetalia off with a rusty spoon more plesant than doing A level maths. So the question is really how much maths content is there in A level physics and would my B in GCSE maths be sufficient enough to understand all the maths cirteria at A level Physics.

PS. I dont know if it helps but my school uses AQA exam board for A level Physics.

Thank you
    It will be difficult but not impossible. I'm on AQA as well and if you want top grades you need to be very good and quick at algebra.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanUK)
    Hi, im choseing my A level at the moment and in the future im wanting to go into medicine. For A levels im wanting to take Chemistry, Biology, Physics and either Religious Studies, Economics or Geography. I do really hate maths with a passion and would possibly find cutting my own genetalia off with a rusty spoon more plesant than doing A level maths. So the question is really how much maths content is there in A level physics and would my B in GCSE maths be sufficient enough to understand all the maths cirteria at A level Physics.

PS. I dont know if it helps but my school uses AQA exam board for A level Physics.

Thank you
    You are basically ME this time a couple of years ago.
    Did physics, thought i should have done maths but didnt because i hate it. I actually got on alright, I just asked a couple of mathmaticians in my class to keep me updated on things like logarithm's and I got the grade I needed.
    On the other hand I got an A* in GCSE maths so my basic knowledge was quite good and there is a lot of the basics in the A level course.

So in conclusion...There is a lot of maths in A level physics but nothing
    you cant handle with a good knowledge of GCSE maths and some nice friends. Go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Well i meant it helps with the whole angular momentum thing in physics.
    You haven't come across magnetic fields or capacitors? It'll probably be in your next physics module. What exam board are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I wished that I had taken maths A level - the guys who had found physics so easy or at least easier, as they were just applying their maths. Also if you find you would like to do a physics-ey or engineering degree (like I did) then they all require A level maths (which is why I am not doing said degree :)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    e is in AQA A2 physics new spec in the capacitors part of unit 4.
    That's a shame. I'm doing OCR new spec. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    Well i meant it helps with the whole angular momentum thing in physics.
    You haven't come across magnetic fields or capacitors? It'll probably be in your next physics module. What exam board are you doing?
    Yes it is in the next topic. OCR new spec. Good thing about the new spec is that a lot of things have been dumbed down.

ReputationRep:
    That's a shame. I'm doing OCR new spec. :p:
    Consider yourself lucky my friend

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.