Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well im planning to go into social sciences in the mere future however im somewhat struggling with subjects to choose for a-levels

Just a few of the subjects that i currently have in mind:

English language and literature - predicted A* for both however i enjoy language more than literature however i hear about how unis prefer literuate too/more

Biology - I find this subject immensely intresting however this will be the ONLY science related subject ill be choosing and i hear to go forward you must / have to do chem (which involves alot of maths which i hate with a desire)

Law - A controversial subject, to say the least. Seems somewhat intresting & seems to involve english quite abit so it could tie in with my english language & literature. However ive heard an immense deal about how its frowned upon

Philosophy - I'm currently doing this subject at GCSE however I'm doing AS philosophy & ethics..i guess its going pretty well atm. Also this subject could tie in with law + eng language and literuate (?)

Psychology - We've touched upon the surface on this in philosophy (sigmund freud) so i guess it could somewhat tie in with philosophy. However ive been hearing alot about how it involves a great deal of maths / stats which i hate. Moreover ive heard how it requires you to have a good memory because you have to remember lots of dates etc (?) Also just like law it seems to be a soft subject (?) So therefore im sort of iffy on this subject.

Sociology - This could tie in with psychology (?) and just like law & psychology it seems like a soft subject (word of mouth)

So i was wondering if you guys, the student room, could help me with selecting a few subjects (e.g philosophy, biology, eng lang and lit and law for AS). which go along well (tie into each other) and also will keep my options open for uni.

P.S i know i previously made a similar thread however it was sorta rushed and unclear so ive made this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    Well im planning to go into social sciences in the mere future however im somewhat struggling with subjects to choose for a-levels

English language and literature - predicted A* for both however i enjoy language more than literature however i hear about how unis prefer literuate too/more English Lit > Lit & Lang > English Lang. If they offer single Lit then go with that, otherwise Lit & Lang is still a good choice. English is a very good subject generally to have at A level.

Biology - I find this subject immensely intresting however this will be the ONLY science related subject ill be choosing and i hear to go forward you must / have to do chem (which involves alot of maths which i hate with a desire) If you're not going into science then this should be fine on its own, really.

Law - A controversial subject, to say the least. Seems somewhat intresting & seems to involve english quite abit so it could tie in with my english language & literature. However ive heard an immense deal about how its frowned upon If you think you'd enjoy it, go for it. But yes, it's not particularly well respected.

Philosophy - I'm currently doing this subject at GCSE however I'm doing AS philosophy & ethics..i guess its going pretty well atm. Also this subject could tie in with law + eng language and literuate (?) I'd say DON'T go for this if you're already doing Philosophy & Ethics. Would be too similar in a uni's opinion.

Psychology - We've touched upon the surface on this in philosophy (sigmund freud) so i guess it could somewhat tie in with philosophy. However ive been hearing alot about how it involves a great deal of maths / stats which i hate. Moreover ive heard how it requires you to have a good memory because you have to remember lots of dates etc (?) Also just like law it seems to be a soft subject (?) So therefore im sort of iffy on this subject. This is a good subject to have for social sciences (even though it is a normal science). But the maths side is a bit of an issue here. There is a lot of analysing results and stuff so if you don't think you could cope DON'T DO IT.

Sociology - This could tie in with psychology (?) and just like law & psychology it seems like a soft subject (word of mouth) Seems like the obvious choice for social sciences. I'd recommend this one.

So i was wondering if you guys, the student room, could help me with selecting a few subjects (e.g philosophy, biology, eng lang and lit and law for AS). which go along well (tie into each other) and also will keep my options open for uni.

P.S i know i made previously made a similar thread however it was sorta rushed and unclear so ive made this one.
    (Comments in red)

I'd say do English Lit/Lit & Lang, Biology, Psychology and Sociology.

If you're doing Geography at GCSE then I think this would be a good replacement for either Psychology or Sociology.

Main thing is, as always, don't do any subjects you don't enjoy and find interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    (Comments in red)

I'd say do English Lit/Lit & Lang, Biology, Psychology and Sociology.

If you're doing Geography at GCSE then I think this would be a good replacement for either Psychology or Sociology.

Main thing is, as always, don't do any subjects you don't enjoy and find interesting
    I do geography at GCSE however i just about scraped a B in my mocks..which isnt really satisfactory for me to go onto doing it at A-lvls in my books & also i dont exactly enjoy it and doesnt geography a-lvl involve maths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    I do geography at GCSE however i just about scraped a B in my mocks..which isnt really satisfactory for me to go onto doing it at A-lvls in my books & also i dont exactly enjoy it and doesnt geography a-lvl involve maths?
    I don't think it involves maths (don't hold me to that mind, I dropped it as soon as I could in year 9 :p:) but if you don't enjoy it then don't bother. Only do subjects you think you'd enjoy.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any specific subjects to take for social science courses, so I think English Lit/Lit & Lang, Psychology, Biology and Sociology would be a good mix (dropping Sociology at the end of the first year if you plan to drop any).

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it involves maths (don't hold me to that mind, I dropped it as soon as I could in year 9 :p:) but if you don't enjoy it then don't bother. Only do subjects you think you'd enjoy.

As far as I'm aware there aren't any specific subjects to take for social science courses, so I think English Lit/Lit & Lang, Psychology, Biology and Sociology would be a good mix (dropping Sociology at the end of the first year if you plan to drop any).
    Hmm...why only do AS sociology? & still unsure about psychology. Problem is im terrible at maths however i like to think im pretty good in science + english but at A-level science involves alot of maths so leaving me with english related subjects only ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)

English language and literature - predicted A* for both however i enjoy language more than literature however i hear about how unis prefer literuate too/more

Biology - I find this subject immensely intresting however this will be the ONLY science related subject ill be choosing and i hear to go forward you must / have to do chem (which involves alot of maths which i hate with a desire)

Law - A controversial subject, to say the least. Seems somewhat intresting & seems to involve english quite abit so it could tie in with my english language & literature. However ive heard an immense deal about how its frowned upon

Philosophy - I'm currently doing this subject at GCSE however I'm doing AS philosophy & ethics..i guess its going pretty well atm. Also this subject could tie in with law + eng language and literuate (?)

Psychology - We've touched upon the surface on this in philosophy (sigmund freud) so i guess it could somewhat tie in with philosophy. However ive been hearing alot about how it involves a great deal of maths / stats which i hate. Moreover ive heard how it requires you to have a good memory because you have to remember lots of dates etc (?) Also just like law it seems to be a soft subject (?) So therefore im sort of iffy on this subject.

Sociology - This could tie in with psychology (?) and just like law & psychology it seems like a soft subject (word of mouth)

P.S i know i made previously made a similar thread however it was sorta rushed and unclear so ive made this one.

If I was you I would do English Lit, History, Psycology and Biology..

Gives you a solid Social science basis and has 2 'real sciences...
    This options give you soooooo many chocies for Uni's/Careers..

Just a thought..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliver5084)
    If I was you I would do English Lit, History, Psycology and Biology..

Gives you a solid Social science basis and has 2 'real sciences...
    This options give you soooooo many chocies for Uni's/Careers..

Just a thought..
    Yep! were my thoughts, exactly at the start however i currently do history at GCSE and its getting rather tiresome. I could only imagine how boring it must be at A-lvls and the only thing thats still holding me back from picking psychology is the maths bit ;/ would a C at GCSE in maths cut it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, was also gonna say what about History? Or perhaps a language?

And I said Sociology to AS 'cos it's the least respected out of those options. 'Tis up to you though Depends what unis you're looking at for that.

Oh and I do Chemistry AS and so far have to say the maths is very, very simple. Nothing you couldn't pick up if you got at least a B at GCSE.

EDIT:

I do History and it's my favourite subject (hoping to do it at uni ). Yet I found half of my GCSE course exceedingly boring. See what subjects they do at A level and if it interests you. We're doing Germany (1919-1945), Spain (unsure of dates, haven't started yet) and the fight for Women's Rights (1860-1928). I love all of these subjects (thought the suffragettes get a little dry...), yet last year I hated the conflict in Ireland section we did and a stupid "History Around Us" coursework.

So yeah, History can be really good if you get interesting topics

ReputationRep:
    Forget Law, Sociology or Psychology. Do Economics (although that may sound biased). It's way more respected by universities and some of the top ones even blacklist Law and Sociology

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, was also gonna say what about History? Or perhaps a language?

And I said Sociology to AS 'cos it's the least respected out of those options. 'Tis up to you though Depends what unis you're looking at for that.

Oh and I do Chemistry AS and so far have to say the maths is very, very simple. Nothing you couldn't pick up if you got at least a B at GCSE.

EDIT:

I do History and it's my favourite subject (hoping to do it at uni ). Yet I found half of my GCSE course exceedingly boring. See what subjects they do at A level and if it interests you. We're doing Germany (1919-1945), Spain (unsure of dates, haven't started yet) and the fight for Women's Rights (1860-1928). I love all of these subjects, yet last year I hated the conflict in Ireland section we did and a stupid "History Around Us" coursework.

So yeah, History can be really good if you get interesting topics
    well these were my mock GCSE results:

eng lang - A
    eng lit - A
    science (SINGLE) - A
    maths - C
    geography -B (just about scraped a B)
    history - C
    food tech - B
    Philosophy (AS) - C
    R.E - C

Also to get into the history course at my college of preference you must have a B or above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    well these were my mock GCSE results:

eng lang - A
    eng lit - A
    science (SINGLE) - A
    maths - C
    geography -B (just about scraped a B)
    history - C
    food tech - B
    Philosophy (AS) - C
    R.E - C

Also to get into the history course at my college of preference you must have a B or above.
    Hmm that's a tough one. Just to make sure, do they allow you to do a science at A level with only single science? My sixth form wouldn't so just make sure you check that.

I'm not sure. Do what you enjoy. English seems like an obvious, definate choice. Sociology seems appropriate too. Biology is good (if they allow you to do it). I don't think the maths would hold you back too much for Psychology, as long as you're willing to put in the extra work that might be need compared to those perhaps a bit more confident in the maths side.

I only say don't do Philosophy because you're doing Philosophy and Ethics. That's a bit similar really. Are you going to carry on and do an A2 in P+E in your first year? That could be a good idea. If you're not, Philosophy could be another good choice then.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm that's a tough one. Just to make sure, do they allow you to do a science at A level with only single science? My sixth form wouldn't so just make sure you check that.

I'm not sure. Do what you enjoy. English seems like an obvious, definate choice. Sociology seems appropriate too. Biology is good (if they allow you to do it). I don't think the maths would hold you back too much for Psychology, as long as you're willing to put in the extra work that might be need compared to those perhaps a bit more confident in the maths side.

I only say don't do Philosophy because you're doing Philosophy and Ethics. That's a bit similar really. Are you going to carry on and do an A2 in P+E in your first year? That could be a good idea. If you're not, Philosophy could be another good choice then.
    We still have to sit our double/additional science exams later on in march / april and apparently philosophy & ethics that i'm currently doing is AS for TWO years not carrying on with A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pappu)
    We still have to sit our double/additional science exams later on in march / april and apparently philosophy & ethics that i'm currently doing is AS for TWO years not carrying on with A2.
    Ah right that's fine then.

Hm, that's strange to do an AS over 2 years :confused:

Okay then, English, Biology and Sociology definate then? It's really up to you for the last one. If you think you can cope with the maths, go for Psychology. If not, go for perhaps Philosophy?

Hope that's helped

ReputationRep:
    Ah right that's fine then.

Hm, that's strange to do an AS over 2 years :confused:

Okay then, English, Biology and Sociology definate then? It's really up to you for the last one. If you think you can cope with the maths, go for Psychology. If not, go for perhaps Philosophy?

Hope that's helped
    I think ill have to tough it out with psychology however i sorta wanna carry on with philosophy because ive already done the AS course for two years so the first year in college should be a breeze & eng lang + lit will sorta tie in / help me out with it

and yeah thanks you've been an immense help through-out this thread

ReputationRep:
    anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    English lit
    History
    Biology
    Psychology

English lit and History compliment each other well, Bio and Psy go together decently too. Lit, History and Bio are 3 strong subjects which gives you a good shot at doing a social science at somewhere such as LSE.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.