Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hay

Basically I have applied to do a PGCE this year for Secondary Biology (Am awaiting to know this week if I get in! Ahhhh! :eek: )

The thing I have been looking at student finance in preparation that I get in and to be honest it is confusing and if my interpretation is correct - Not leaving me on the sunny side in terms of finance.

I live in wales so understand there are slight differences between england and wales finance but generally not much difference so any help from anyone would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Firstly - Does the SLC award Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and/or Assembly Learning Grants to students studying PGCE?

Secondly - How do you apply for the Teacher Training Grant? Or does the university do this for you on your behalf?

Thirdly - I looked on the Student Finance website to try and use the finance calculator to have an idea what I would get awarded but the only option for teaching came as "ITT"
    I thought this was different to the PGCE or are they classed as the same when making your application for finance??

If you have any answers to these q's or any additional advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

1. Yes the SLC award these, you can begin applying through Student Finance from March onwards.

2. You apply for this at registration in September, I believe.

3. ITT stands for Initial Teacher Training which includes the PGCE route.

What I would like to know is how much of the grant I will be eligible for, but no info seems to be online!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Start123)
    Hi there,

1. Yes the SLC award these, you can begin applying through Student Finance from March onwards.

2. You apply for this at registration in September, I believe.

3. ITT stands for Initial Teacher Training which includes the PGCE route.

What I would like to know is how much of the grant I will be eligible for, but no info seems to be online!
    you can apply from january this year as far as I know~
    they made it earlier this year because of the fiasco that was last year~~

ReputationRep:
    You can apply now, got the forms right in front of me

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question. Would it be worth me applying now, without having secured a place yet? I'm just worried about the fiasco of last year! And is that still true about the bursary? Applying in September? I'm guessing the unis will tell you about this in a welcome pack?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think you should apply until you've secured a place.
    And yes, bursary stuff is sorted at registration when you start university.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.