Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT_Scan)
    Unit 1 is okay but unit 2....???? I don't even understand Wheatstone bridges.
    I know what you mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    They are planning on revising it. They want to bring in an Astronomy Unit and some Relativity apparantly.
    I wish they'd get their butts moving and do something interesting with it before I fail. XD

ReputationRep:
    Okay, everyone. Q21 in 2007 - I cannot get the answer to (a)! Ive tried pythagoras and its wrong for some reason
    This is what I've done;
    c^2 = b^2+a^2
    = 150^2 + 250^2
    = root of 85000
    = 291.5

Helpppp <3

I have to say I found most of Unit 3 the least interesting when doing Higher Physics, although stuff about the structure of atoms and photoeletric effect was interesting, stuff like n*lambda = dsintheta just bored me to death. Introducing astronomy and relativity would be really nice though. Could mean they could go on to some more advanced relativity at advanced higher too

(Original post by megara)
    Okay, everyone. Q21 in 2007 - I cannot get the answer to (a)! Ive tried pythagoras and its wrong for some reason
    This is what I've done;
    c^2 = b^2+a^2
    = 150^2 + 250^2
    = root of 85000
    = 291.5

Helpppp <3
    You can't use pythagoras here because it doesn't involve a right-angled triangle. You need to use a scale drawing, or the cosine rule. Have a look at the attached diagram
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallumFR)
    I have to say I found most of Unit 3 the least interesting when doing Higher Physics, although stuff about the structure of atoms and photoeletric effect was interesting, stuff like n*lambda = dsintheta just bored me to death. Introducing astronomy and relativity would be really nice though. Could mean they could go on to some more advanced relativity at advanced higher too
    That sounds confusing. XD But yeah, it would be good

ReputationRep:
    You can't use pythagoras here because it doesn't involve a right-angled triangle. You need to use a scale drawing, or the cosine rule. Have a look at the attached diagram
    Ohh bugger. I am so stupid. :yep: Thank you so much <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megara)
    This is what I've done;
    c^2 = b^2+a^2
    = 150^2 + 250^2
    = root of 85000
    = 291.5

Helpppp <3
    Exactly as what CallumFR said.

I prefer to use the trig rules to solve these.

So just use the Cosine rule: a^2 = b^2 + c^2 – 2bcCosA

ReputationRep:
    I would agree about the grating stuff being pretty boring (they should have mentioned Wave/Particle duality). The photoelectric effect and the equations of motion from Unit 1 are the only things I would class as 'real' Physics from the Higher course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    Exactly as what CallumFR said.

I prefer to use the trig rules to solve these.

So just use the Cosine rule: a^2 = b^2 + c^2 – 2bcCosA
    Thank you! <3

ReputationRep:
    they're removing relativity from the AH course apparently. also removing introduction to quantum mechanics.

some more practical experiments are going to be added in their place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    they're removing relativity from the AH course apparently. also removing introduction to quantum mechanics.

I dont really like experiments that much . I dont know why.

ReputationRep:

WHAT?!!?!?!?! :eek:

******* SQA...

ReputationRep:
    For electronics, try this circuit simulator. I found it really useful from Higher onward, because you can play with stuff which I found made it easier to remember and understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    WHAT?!!?!?!?! :eek:

******* SQA...
    The QM stuff was essentially a history, and went into less detail than you'd expect of a decent pop.sci. programme. The relativity belongs better in Higher - it was literally about two sentences and one equation, with no meaningful exposition at all.

ReputationRep:
    Astronomy sounds good! I'm crashing it so I dunno what the standard grade was like but unit 1 was dreadful. For some reason we've moved onto unit 3 after unit 1 and I'm quite liking it, especially radioactivity.

I'm glad I'm doing it before this happens :p:

I appreciate having practical skills is important, but surely improving the content about the basics of two very important theories is just as, if not more important? Silly SQA!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheUnbeliever)
    The QM stuff was essentially a history, and went into less detail than you'd expect of a decent pop.sci. programme. The relativity belongs better in Higher - it was literally about two sentences and one equation, with no meaningful exposition at all.
    Honest to god, I probably understand quantum mechanics better than I understand higher physics right now.

Obviously "understand" in a very light and broad term....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Honest to god, I probably understand quantum mechanics better than I understand higher physics right now.

Obviously "understand" in a very light and broad term....
    Haha I agree, James :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate having practical skills is important, but surely improving the content about the basics of two very important theories is just as, if not more important? Silly SQA!
    (This is basically in 'stream of consciousness' order, so it doesn't link well.)

I think the thing is that it's hard to do relativity properly without the supporting maths, which varies from 'possible to include, but not really appropriate in a physics course' to 'far too much to expect of candidates'. Whereas the SQA maths courses otherwise support the physics quite nicely.

Quantum mechanics probably could be included, in some limited form, because the basic maths (essentially, probability) is already there. Perhaps they feel that they'd rather stick more to the classical world? Which would be fair enough.

Also, they can't really expand either of those two units without shrinking other units because there's sort of a fixed limit on the quantity of the content of the course.

Alternatively, they might be thinking that the time's better spent on experimental physics because the theory will be covered by university courses, but there's generally a heavy focus on practice in most courses, which will often be assessed. Consequently, it might be pragmatic to focus on that, because candidates are expected to have more experience of it and it's a case of practice very definitely making perfect.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.