Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've got the exam in about 3-4 hours. I'm having the exact same problem as most of you guys. The course is **** and uninteresting. It doesn't exactly help that I hate my teacher and every lesson's a drag. I think the feeling's mutual though :p:

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Higher Physics is essentially:

Here is the equation.

Here are the numbers.

Now put the numbers into the equation and write down the answer.

Either that or they ask you to derive a formula that has been given to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I've got the exam in about 3-4 hours. I'm having the exact same problem as most of you guys. The course is **** and uninteresting. It doesn't exactly help that I hate my teacher and every lesson's a drag. I think the feeling's mutual though :p:
    I know what you mean haha! Tell me how it went <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einstein's apprentice)
    Advanced Higher Physics is essentially:

Here is the equation.

Here are the numbers.

Now put the numbers into the equation and write down the answer.

Either that or they ask you to derive a formula that has been given to you.
    I want ADVh then:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megara)
    I know what you mean haha! Tell me how it went <3
    I think it was okay. Some of the most ridiculous questions came up though. Like, there was one where you had to find the vertical component of a slope by using m*g*sin theta. Thing is, you only had the one angle and nothing else. Apparently you were supposed to just do g*sin theta even though that wasn't the full equation! Whaaaaa?

Oh well, I hope yours isn't as crappy.

Meh, last exam anyway. Now for the week holiday! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enzo-259)
    I think it was okay. Some of the most ridiculous questions came up though. Like, there was one where you had to find the vertical component of a slope by using m*g*sin theta. Thing is, you only had the one angle and nothing else. Apparently you were supposed to just do g*sin theta even though that wasn't the full equation! Whaaaaa?

Oh well, I hope yours isn't as crappy.

Meh, last exam anyway. Now for the week holiday! :cool:
    Agh that sounds scary :eek3:. I hope youre feeling okay about it - I'm sure the SQA wont be as cruel:yep:!

Aww, lucky you! I hope you have fun!

ReputationRep:
    Help, my mind's gone blank!

2009 question 4. A skydiver of total mass 85kg is falling vertically. At one point during the fall, his air resistance is 135N. What's his acceleration at this point?
    A 0.6 ms-2
    B 1.6 ms-2
    C 6.2 ms-2
    D 8.2 ms-2
    E 13.8 ms-2

Does it involve F = ma at all?

Edit: Had a brainwave, I got it, nm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C274)
    Help, my mind's gone blank!

2009 question 4. A skydiver of total mass 85kg is falling vertically. At one point during the fall, his air resistance is 135N. What's his acceleration at this point?
    A 0.6 ms-2
    B 1.6 ms-2
    C 6.2 ms-2
    D 8.2 ms-2
    E 13.8 ms-2

Does it involve F = ma at all?

Edit: Had a brainwave, I got it, nm
    I know you already got it but just to test my knowledge was it D. I did

W=mg
    =85x 9.8
    =833N

833-135
    =698

a=F/m
    =698/85
    = 8.2ms^-2 hence D??

ReputationRep:
    I've never understood alot of physics, even in SG I would sit in the classes and not have a clue but it always came together in the tests and exams and I always got 1's by just plugging in numbers from the formula list.

It's still live that now, I got 29 out of 30 in the Unit 2 NAB but I don't have a clue. I think it's a mental thing because I can't actually see whats going on in circuits then I can't properly picture it.

Doesn't help that they keep changing what they tell you either. It's always been "this is a 5V battery so the voltage it gives in 5V" but now it's "this battery has an EMF of 5V and an internal resistance so it doesn't give 5V". WHAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evodario)
    I've never understood alot of physics, even in SG I would sit in the classes and not have a clue but it always came together in the tests and exams and I always got 1's by just plugging in numbers from the formula list.

It's still live that now, I got 29 out of 30 in the Unit 2 NAB but I don't have a clue. I think it's a mental thing because I can't actually see whats going on in circuits then I can't properly picture it.

Doesn't help that they keep changing what they tell you either. It's always been "this is a 5V battery so the voltage it gives in 5V" but now it's "this battery has an EMF of 5V and an internal resistance so it doesn't give 5V". WHAT?

-nods-

I cant do what you do, see...I just suck at Phyyyy:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT_Scan)
    I know you already got it but just to test my knowledge was it D. I did

W=mg
    =85x 9.8
    =833N

833-135
    =698

a=F/m
    =698/85
    = 8.2ms^-2 hence D??
    Yeps

ReputationRep:
    Okay - dont mean to ressurect the thread but I thought it was logical since people know about this thread.

I'm doing a past paper (2007) and am stuck on how to get the solution for questions 6, 9, 10, 11 & 12. You can see that I seriously do not understand electronics. *sigh* Can anyone help?

Thank yoou <3

Okay - dont mean to ressurect the thread but I thought it was logical since people know about this thread.

I'm doing a past paper (2007) and am stuck on how to get the solution for questions 6, 9, 10, 11 & 12. You can see that I seriously do not understand electronics. *sigh* Can anyone help?

Thank yoou <3
    6) Impulse = Force multiplied by time. You can interpret this as the area under a Force/Time graph (which is what is given in the question). If you split up the area under the graph into triangles and rectangle, calculate these areas and then add them, you should get the right answer.

9) Between P and Q you have two resistors of equal resistance in PARALLEL. How do you add resistances in parallel? Once you figure out the resistance between P and Q, you can work out the voltage across it using ratios. Say the resistance between P and Q was 40 ohms, then the ratio of the resistors is 1,2,1. If you divide the supply voltage (60V) by 4 (sum of the bits of the ratio) and then multiply this by 2 you get the voltage across PQ.

10) You're given what each horizontal division is (0.01s). How many divisions does a single wave take? What formula can you use to find the frequency if you know the time for one wave? To work out the RMS voltage you want to multiply the peak voltage by \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}.

11) This is just one of those things you need to memorise. The answer is E. A similar question which comes up quite frequently is the graph you get if you replace the resistor with a capacitor. The answer would be A if it was a capacitor (just for reference).

12) Another thing you just have to remember. An op-amp doesnt change the frequency of the input signal.

ReputationRep:

Thank yoou <3
    for 6. the change of momentum is equal to force x time so work out the area under the graph.

9. PQ has 2 20ohm resistors in parallel. so 1/Rt=1/20+1/20. Rt=20ohm. Voltage at pq=(Resistance at PQ/total resistance) x supply voltage. 20V.

10. if its 4V per division and there are 3 divisions you can see that the peak voltage is 12V. you can work out the rms value from that. you can see that it takes 4 divisions to complete 1 full wave. hence t=0.04s. you can then use f=1/t.

11. A - current is directly proportional to frequency in a capacitor circuit.

12. frequency independent of voltage so still 280Hz.

ReputationRep:
    damn it. this is what happens when you spend 10mins going to find your old past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dado Prso)
    damn it. this is what happens when you spend 10mins going to find your old past papers.
    Awww no worries! Thank you for the help, its nice to see it form different perspectives:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm stuck on b) in 2007 for Q23. Help? XD *feels stupid*

ReputationRep:
    Now I'm stuck on b) in 2007 for Q23. Help? XD *feels stupid*

Sorry can't find my past papers to check the question but I did that paper last week before my prelim and in my notes I have 0.48-0.08/0.02 = 20. Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT_Scan)
    Sorry can't find my past papers to check the question but I did that paper last week before my prelim and in my notes I have 0.48-0.08/0.02 = 20. Does that make sense?
    I dont get where the 0.48 comes from XDD

I dont get where the 0.48 comes from XDD
    0.48 is the volume of ALL the gas in the tank at a pressure of 125kPa. You can calculate it using the fact that:

P_1 V_1 = P_2 V_2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.