Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog Watch

ReputationRep:
    A relatively easy session today but certainly not a bad one.

Bench
    20 x some
    50 x8
    60 x6
    70 x5
    70 x5
    70 x5

Box Squat
    (speed)
    20 x10
    50 x8
    80 x3
    80 x3
    80 x3
    80 x3
    80 x3

Chins
    x8
    x8

Skull Crushers

Ez-bar x8
    Bar+10 x8
    Bar+17.5 x5 (pain in elbow so I stopped)

Dem curlz
    EZ-bar+17.5 x10
    bar+17.5 x10
    bar+17.5 x10
    (form worse in this set)

Aside from my elbow really not liking the skull crushers, everything went smoothly. I made some changes to my bench today after watching a technique video from Dave Tate, and it felt hugely better - no pain from the shoulders and everything felt much more solid. I was conservative with the weight but next week I expect to see some strong benching if I can focus on the technique changes. Everything else was pretty ordinary, really.

ReputationRep:
    Alright session today.

Squat
    60 x5
    90 x4
    110 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3

Overhead Press

20 x10
    40 x5
    50 x2
    Then for some reason instead of doing work sets at 55, I did push presses, and they were s**t.

Rows
    20 x8
    50 x8
    75 x5
    75 x5
    75 x5

Romanian Deadlift
    75 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6

Aside from the ridiculous decision to do push presses without having done them in ages and without working up on them, everything went reasonably well. The squats were much better than the last time I did triples at 110 and I managed to get all 4 sets this time. My depth was a bit inconsistent - they were all definitely below parallel, but some were ATG and some weren't. I also got a bit stuck halfway up on some of them - need to find a way of working on that because I'm always fine out of the hole.

Rows were good - first time I've done rows at bodyweight or above and it felt good. My upper back strength has improved a lot recently, which is good because I always used to feel it was a little behind. The RDLs were very quick and felt easy as anything - they turned out to be a speed exercise really.

ReputationRep:
    A pretty ordinary day today.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    90 x5
    110 x3
    120 x5
    120 x5

Bench

20 x8
    50 x6
    65 x5
    75 x4
    75 x4
    75 x4

Shrug
    75 x12
    75 x12
    75 x12

Plank
    90s
    90s

Deadlifts didn't feel fantastic today but I wasn't as bad in the work sets as I was in the warm-up. All the reps went up without too much trouble but I still wasn't that happy with them.

Bench was good, and I'm definitely seeing the benefits of changing my technique even if I'm not that used to it yet and my numbers are still around the same. Shrugs were probably a bit light and my hands were a bit sore from deadlifting. I haven't done any planks in ages and they felt surprisingly hard - I used to easily get to a minute before it even felt like work!

ReputationRep:
    A good session today. Very tiring, but a lot of fun.

Power Clean
    20 x some
    30 x some
    40 x some
    50 x3
    50 x3
    60 x3
    60 x3
    65 x3
    65 x3

Front Squat

65 x3
    80 x3
    90 x3
    95 x3
    95 x3
    95 x3

Rows

50 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6

Curlz

EZ-bar+15 x10
    bar+20 x6
    bar+20 x6
    bar+20 x6

Plank
    90s
    90s

My technique for the power cleans actually seemed to become less retarded today, which was nice. None of the sets were difficult but it was good practice. Front squats were hard but I was very pleased with them - my front squats are going really well at the moment. Rows were good with plenty of bar speed. Curls and plank were just extras really, but were fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thats It Boi, Tone That Fat Into Muscle

ReputationRep:
    curls for girls?

I like.

ReputationRep:
    Short session today. Reasonably happy.

Bench
    20 x10
    50 x6
    70 x4
    80 x3
    80 x3
    80 x3

Box Squat
    (about 1 or 2 inches below parallel)
    20 x some
    50 x6
    70 x5
    90 x3
    90 x3
    90 x3
    90 x3

I also messed around with some ab wheel rollouts because I found the wheel when I was tidying up the cupboard (I was the last club member out of the gym).

Unfortunately the guy who may be coaching us now left just after I arrived, so I couldn't get any help today but he seemed like a nice guy and he should be around a fair bit.

Bench was good - certainly the best I've ever done (previously an 83.5kg max, 82.5kg paused max, 80kg 3RM). As expected, my technique adjustments are resulting in some good progress even though I'm not totally solid with my form yet. The last reps of the second and third sets were tough but now that I've corrected my old loose form I actually have a stable base to push from when it starts to stick so I got them in the end. It shouldn't be long until I hit 90kg for a single, and hopefully progress will be relatively swift up to 100kg.

My back's not at it's best right now so I just did some fairly ordinary box squats. Speed in the first couple of sets was good but I kind of got lazy in the last two. I'll be doing just upper body stuff tomorrow (heavy rows, chin-ups, curls and a bit of incline DB bench or DB overhead press I think)

ReputationRep:
    Pretty decent day today.

Rows
    40 x8
    60 x6
    70 x4
    80 x4
    80 x4
    80 x4

Power Clean
    40 x6
    50 x5
    60 x3 - still a bit of bruising from last time, the pain wasn't really worth it

Overhead Press
    20 x8
    30 x6
    40 x12
    40 x9

Rack Pull
    70 x5
    100 x4
    120 x3
    140 x3
    150 x2
    155 x1
    160 x0

Ab wheel rollouts
    x6
    x6
    x6

Plank
    90s

I was very happy with the rows and presses today. The rows were still quick and relatively easy - the last rep of each set needed a little more movement at the hips than I normally allow but still not too much and I don't really mind about them being too strict as long as they're powerful. Presses were good - it was my triceps letting me down at the end of each set, but I didn't really expect more than 10 reps with 40kg. I'll maybe do some heavy doubles/triples at 55kg next time. I kept the technical improvements from last time with the power cleans but I've still got bruising around the collar bone so I moved on from them.

It's the first time I've done rack pulls and they were neither bad nor good really. I managed to shift a bit more weight than I do from the floor but not by a huge amount, and I was disappointed not to get 160 given how simple 155 was. The second rep at 150 rounded my back far more than I'd like. Core stuff - not a lot to say but I do need to keep at it because I know that my abs aren't as strong as they should be and I need my core to catch up to where my legs are.

ReputationRep:
    Big session today. It was our first serious training session with our new coach Matt, who started us off with a repetition lower day.

Box squat with bands
    20 x3
    40 x3
    60 x3
    65 x2
    70 x2
    70 x2
    75 x2
    75 x2
    75 x2
    75 x2
    75 x2
    80 x2
    80 x2

Good morning
    Safety squat bar (assuming this weighs 25kg?)
    25 x6
    45 x6
    55 x6
    60 x6
    60 x6
    65 x6
    65 x6
    65 x6

Deficit Deadlift
    ~2-3 inch deficit
    60 x3
    80 x3
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1
    110 x1

Front squat

20 x6
    50 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6

I felt really good about all the stuff we did. The box squatting with the bands on was weird at first but the more sets we did the more I got used to it, and even the sets at 80kg felt pretty powerful (not entirely sure about the band tension at the top, but Matt reckoned between 40 and 60kg depending on height so about 40kg for me). It took me a little while to nail my form on the good mornings but when I did they felt good.

The deficit deadlifts were brilliant - I actually thought I was putting 100kg on the bar then realised after about 3 that it was 110kg. Given that my max for a single without a belt is 140kg, doing that many singles with 110kg from a deficit (and after other stuff) suggests that my deadlift really should be higher. Front squats were very good (nice depth, solid form) but more of a finisher than a particularly heavy exercise.

The coach had a word with me afterwards and said that he was impressed by my form in everything that I'd done today and that I had potential. I was surprised he thought much of my deadlifts and told him about my poor max but he seemed confident we'd be able to get it way beyond where it is not fairly quickly.

Afterwards, a bunch of us went to get burgers for lunch and discuss the future of the club. It seems like next year we're really going to be a much more focused team. Also, we discussed getting a GHR machine which everyone was very much in favour of so that should happen.

Oh also I did 50 pressups while I waited for my porridge to cook yesterday. The last few were ugly.

ReputationRep:
    Looking forward to the max effort upper session tomorrow (well, later today technically). It should be interesting to see how I do now my bench technique changes have started to kick in. I'm not sure what we're going to be doing exactly but if we do a standard max bench then I see no reason I can't hit 85 for a double or 87.5 for a single after last weeks 80 3x3.

ReputationRep:
    Max effort upper.

Reverse-band bench (bands supporting the bar at about rack height, so a little under 20kg taken off at the lockout)
    60 x some
    60 x some
    60 x1
    70 x1
    80 x1
    85 x1
    90 x1
    95 x1
    100 x1
    105 x1
    110 x1
    115 x1
    120 x(fail twice)

CGBP
    (index finger on smooth)
    40 x6
    60 x6
    62.5 x6
    62.5 x6
    62.5 x6
    62.5 x6
    67.5 x6
    (not a typo, just needed more of a challenge)

DB Rows
    22.5 x8
    31 x8
    36 x8
    36 x8
    36 x8

JM Press (dumbells and band behind the back - purple for warm-up, black for work sets)
    10 x6
    12 x6
    12 x6
    12 x6
    12 x4

Seated DB shoulder press
    12 x10
    15 x10
    15 x9

Also chins x8

Interesting session. I anticipate my triceps being in serious pain tomorrow but I was pretty strong throughout the workout. The reverse-band benching was fun, both because you get to move around a lot of weight (and I effectively locked out a bit over 95kg so it wasn't weak either) and because it teaches you to really move the bar fast off the chest - it's interesting how with the difficulty gradient one lift can go up easily (115kg wasn't a grinder at all) and yet with a little more weight your speed is just down that little bit and you get stuck. Close grip benching is, surprisingly, something I haven't done before but given I got a set of 6 at 67.5kg after the other 4 sets and the max benching I think I did fairly well.

Rows were strong, as expected - the speed I've got from doing barbell rows was very apparent. JM presses were a bit odd but actually kind of cool and not trouble for my shoulder as I thought they might be. Shoulder presses were nothing special but they were a finisher really.

ReputationRep:
    Dynamic Lower (yes, this was done on Saturday but we're now onto the proper order of days - saturday was just an introduction)

Box Squat (purple bands)
    20 x some
    50 x2
    70 x2 (13 sets)

Reverse Lunge
    (alternating - 12 reps with each leg per set, so 24 per set total)
    20 x12
    50 x12
    50 x12
    40 x12

Box Deadlift
    (from about a 3 inch box)
    70 x1
    100 x1
    120 x1
    130 x1 (8 sets)

Zercher Squats
    (done alternating with box jumps as a competition)
    40 x3
    50 x3
    60 x3
    70 x3
    80 x3
    90 x3
    100 x3
    110 x2

Box Jumps
    (from box same height as used for box squats
    Worked up to 45 inches, failed 48 inches

Good fun today. Kept the box squats light as it'll be a 3 week cycle and hopefully the 3rd week will be at 85. Reverse lunges were very tiring (hence the lighter final set) but seemed to really hammer the glutes. Deadlifts were strong - good form as with Saturday. Took me a couple of reps to get into it but from there they were solid.

Zercher squats were interesting. These were done starting at the bottom of the movement with the bar racked at just above knee height. I don't feel like I did too badly but I only didn't get the last rep at 110kg because I set up wrong for it and tipped back at the start of the movement. Box jumps were something I expected to do well on and I think I was right. I was beaten on them by 2 guys, but one was only slightly better and is a better squatter than me, and the other is around 95kg and squats 217.5kg so there's no way I was going to beat him. I fell quite badly attempting 48 inches and scraped up my leg and hit my back of the box I was starting from, but it's all superficial, barely hurts except for a little sting in my leg, and most importantly looks badass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Dynamic Lower (yes, this was done on Saturday but we're now onto the proper order of days - saturday was just an introduction)

Box Squat (purple bands)
    20 x some
    50 x2
    70 x2 (13 sets)

Reverse Lunge
    (alternating - 12 reps with each leg per set, so 24 per set total)
    20 x12
    50 x12
    50 x12
    40 x12

Box Deadlift
    (from about a 3 inch box)
    70 x1
    100 x1
    120 x1
    130 x1 (8 sets)

Zercher Squats
    (done alternating with box jumps as a competition)
    40 x3
    50 x3
    60 x3
    70 x3
    80 x3
    90 x3
    100 x3
    110 x2

Box Jumps
    (from box same height as used for box squats
    Worked up to 45 inches, failed 48 inches

Good fun today. Kept the box squats light as it'll be a 3 week cycle and hopefully the 3rd week will be at 85. Reverse lunges were very tiring (hence the lighter final set) but seemed to really hammer the glutes. Deadlifts were strong - good form as with Saturday. Took me a couple of reps to get into it but from there they were solid.

Zercher squats were interesting. These were done starting at the bottom of the movement with the bar racked at just above knee height. I don't feel like I did too badly but I only didn't get the last rep at 110kg because I set up wrong for it and tipped back at the start of the movement. Box jumps were something I expected to do well on and I think I was right. I was beaten on them by 2 guys, but one was only slightly better and is a better squatter than me, and the other is around 95kg and squats 217.5kg so there's no way I was going to beat him. I fell quite badly attempting 48 inches and scraped up my leg and hit my back of the box I was starting from, but it's all superficial, barely hurts except for a little sting in my leg, and most importantly looks badass.
    Just make sure not to kill yourself or parents will probably blame me. And make sure you haven't got any crap in the wounds, as they may look badass but any infection you get from it won't :p:

In other news, it appears you are lifting weights that contain large numbers. Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Just make sure not to kill yourself or parents will probably blame me. And make sure you haven't got any crap in the wounds, as they may look badass but any infection you get from it won't :p:

In other news, it appears you are lifting weights that contain large numbers. Congratulations
    Check out the pics of my leg and back in the Muscle Building Soc thread. They are totally style.

ReputationRep:
    Dynamic upper today.

Band Bench (for speed, with purple minis)
    20 x3
    30 x3
    35 x2
    35 x3 (3 sets, wide grip)
    35 x3 (3 sets, medium grip)
    35 x3 (3 sets, narrow grip)

Close Grip Board Press
    ~1.5 inch board
    50 x6
    70 x6 (5 sets)

BB Rows

50 x8
    70 x8 (4 sets)

JM Press
    DBs with black mini band
    12.5 x5 (4 sets)

Overhead Press
    37.5 x12
    37.5 x10
    32.5 x9

Pretty ordinary today but I thought the close grip board pressing was very good. Otherwise, the speed benching wasn't exactly thrilling and my rows were a bit messy, and by the time I got to overhead pressing my triceps had just given up.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nice close grip presses and rows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Nice close grip presses and rows.
    Thanks, but I think the rows got a bit sloppy - not as good as my 80 3x4. I think the close grip bench puts into perspective just how much improvement I should be making on my max bench (82.5kg) now that I've sorted my form and started following a strict routine (even if it does have too much band work for my liking).

ReputationRep:
    Max effort lower today. This was a complete killer, especially since we were all still sore from Wednesday (it was the lunges that hit me hardest).

Deficit Deadlift ~3 inch deficit
    70 x4
    100 x2
    110 x1
    125 x1
    135 x1
    140 x1
    145 x0
    145 x1

Front Squat

20 x6
    50 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6

Good Mornings
    (squat stance)
    50 x6 (4 sets)

SLDL

50 x6
    70 x3
    100 x3
    110 x3 (4 sets)

Plank
    +10kg 60s (3 times)

A good session, especially considering I wasn't recovered fully from Wednesday. Pulling 145kg from a deficit without a belt actually matches my belted PB from the floor, suggesting my deadlift PB should actually be around 160kg. For the first attempt I got it about 2 inches off the floor but it didn't want to go any further. One of the guys commented I was pretty much trying to stiff leg it so for my second attempt I made sure to keep my hips lower at the start and got it pretty solidly.

Front squats are just tiring at 6 reps but felt reasonably good (hence the weight being increased) and the good mornings were fine but my elbow felt a bit tweaked by them so I didn't do my last set. I've only done 75kg for straight leg deadlifts before, as a speed exercise, but I think I did quite well with them today even if the last set wasn't the prettiest deadlift I've ever done. Plank was fine but a good finisher.

ReputationRep:
    ME upper today. Great stuff but my triceps were just too fried to finish everything at the end.

CGBP (index finger just touching smooth)
    20 x10
    50 x5
    65 x3
    70 x3
    75 x3
    80 x3
    85 x3
    (yes, I did just beat my regular bench 1RM for a set of three with a close grip)
    90 x1 - big PB

Bench
    (ordinary wide grip)
    50 x5
    70 x5
    70 x5
    70 x5
    75 x5
    75 x5
    75 x5

DB Incline Bench
    (30 degree incline)
    17.5 x6
    20 x6
    22.5 x6
    22.5 x6
    22.5 x6
    22.5 x6
    22.5 x6

Rows
    (back parallel to floor, deloading)
    50 x8
    65 x8
    65 x8
    65 x8
    65 x8

Seated DB Shoulder Press

17.5 x4
    22.5 x4
    22.5 x3

Also did some hang cleans with just the bar to practice technique.

I was pretty stunned at how well I benched today. I thought I might be able to get one rep out at 85 if I was lucky, but to get 3 and then one at 90 was amazing. I think my technique improvements along with the greater upper body (and particularly tricep-focused) volume of the new routine have started to pay off. Given today's performance I should be able to hit 95 for a single if it's a regular grip and I've not done the heavy triples beforehand, which means I should be at 100 quicker than I'd hoped.

All the pressing after the close grip was just a case of gritting my teeth and trying to get it all done because I was already pretty tired, but after the regular bench feeling difficult at first it went alright. I messed up by doing warm-up sets too heavy for the incline DB benching but it was fine as I didn't go too heavy. I dropped the weight for rows to focus on technique and speed after last week's 70s felt sloppy and my form was pretty good. By the time it got to shoulder pressing I was just fried, and although getting 22.5 for 4 was alright I knew I couldn't get all the sets out. When I get home from uni I'll be doing some overhead pressing as a max effort lift so I'm not worried about not doing too much shoulder stuff right now.

ReputationRep:
    Squatting more than you deadlift and now close-gripping more than you bench.

You're so damn contrary!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.