Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Squatting more than you deadlift and now close-gripping more than you bench.

You're so damn contrary!
    Yeah but it's only because I've not done a bench max since sorting my benching out, and given my deadlifting on Saturday I'd say my real 1RM should be around 160kg, so it should be decently ahead of my squat next time I max out on each.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sexual.

ReputationRep:
    No gym today because I was hella busy and my sunburnt back still won't tolerate a barbell. I just did a 2 and a half minute wall sit (or whatever it is when you stay with your hips and knees both at right angles with your back straight against a wall) and now my legs feel like jelly.

ReputationRep:
    Dynamic Upper

Speed Band Bench - doubled black minis
    20 x10, x10
    40 x3 (9 sets - 3 wide, 3 medium, 3 narrow)

Floor Press

20 x12
    50 x6
    70 x6 (5 sets)

Chins
    x8
    x8
    x7
    x5

Overhead Press

20 x8, x8
    40 x4
    50 x4 (3 sets)
    52.5 x2
    50 x3

JM Press
    - black mini band
    7.5 x6
    15 x6 (3 sets)

Decent enough session. Speed benching was relatively quick and uneventful. Floor pressing is something I haven't done before but I quite enjoyed it. I hit the cage on the first rep of my first working set which threw me off a bit and made it difficult to complete so I stayed at 70kg, but really given how the later sets went I could have done 75kg. My strength on chins has really disappeared - my rows are stronger than ever but I'm still struggling with 8 strict bodyweight chins when I used to be able to do 5 strict with 15kg added. Overhead press was very good considering the pressing I'd already done - 50kg 3x5 is my best and that's with fresh shoulders and triceps. On the third rep with 52.5kg I stalled with the bar just level with the top of my head, as with the fourth rep of the last set at 50kg, which was a shame but I know that when I get down to some heavy pressing as a main upper body movement in about a month I'll be strong. JM pressing is starting feel more stable so I upped the weight to 15kg and had no problems.

ReputationRep:
    Max effort upper.

Incline Bench (~30 degrees)
    (flat 50 x10 warm up)
    50 x3
    60 x3
    70 x3
    80 x1

CGBP

60 x4
    75 x4
    75 x4
    80 x4
    80 x4
    80 x4
    80 x4

Pull-ups
    x8
    x6
    x6
    x5
    x5

JM Press
    (DBs with black mini band)
    15 x6
    17.5 x6
    17.5 x6
    17.5 x6
    17.5 x6

Seated DB Shoulder Press

15 x6
    20 x6
    22.5 x6
    22.5 x3
    17.5 x6

I also felt bad about missing the two most recent lower sessions so I did:

Squat
    60 x8
    90 x5
    90 x5

I was pretty happy with today. My incline wasn't exactly stunning but I haven't done any incline barbell benching at all in the last year, and 80kg is close to where my flat bench was for a long time until about a month ago. I felt very strong on the close grip and if anything I think getting 4 sets of 80 x4 out today, after maxing out on the incline and a couple of other sets of CGBP, was actually more impressive than my 85 x3 and 90 x1 from last week. I can't wait to try a 1RM with a wide grip - I think I should be able to get 95kg.

My pull-ups were ugly, mainly because I never train them and I don't like them. I'd normally do chins but I thought I'd join in with what we were scheduled to do today. The JM press was pretty good - I've gone up quite a bit now from originally failing sets at 12kg and it feels like now it's my tricep strength rather than my stability which is being tested. The first set at 20kg on the shoulder press felt very light so I upped it and the set at 22.5kg was tough but manageable. In the next set though I just stalled and all my strength left me so I had to drop the weight to get the last set out.

Squats were fine - felt a bit dizzy after the first 90kg set but that was probably because I jumped straight up from doing a working set of CGBP and starting squatting without a pause. These were just medium weight, nice and deep, reasonably quick.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wow that's some pretty strong pressing there. What were your numbers before your coach came?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Wow that's some pretty strong pressing there. What were your numbers before your coach came?
    I think I got my 80 3x3 on the flat before we started the new program, but my best single was still 82.5. Because I changed my technique quite a lot shortly before we started squad training I'm not sure how much is the routine and how much is getting used to the new technique, but I certainly feel a lot stronger - my lockout is massively stronger than it was before.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Your coach definitely seems to be doing you good on the bench. 3x3 to 4x4 with a closer grip (plus 75 2x4 before) is quite a large improvement.

We'll have to see how much your squat and deadlift improves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Your coach definitely seems to be doing you good on the bench. 3x3 to 4x4 with a closer grip (plus 75 2x4 before) is quite a large improvement.

We'll have to see how much your squat and deadlift improves.
    I'm not sure my squat will go up a huge amount but then my squat was already pretty good for my weight and I trained it very regularly and quite well. My deadlift is definitely rising, though, as a I pulled 145kg from a deficit without a belt when my best pull from the floor with a belt before that was also 145kg. We do a good amount of hamstring and lower back work with good mornings and SLDLs which I think helps. I wouldn't mind seeing my deadlift go up while my squat doesn't move much anyway because I need to get my deadlift decently ahead of my squat.

ReputationRep:
    Max effort lower today (switched with Saturday - suits me because I probably won't make Saturday)

Reverse band deadlift (bands took off 30-40kg at the bottom, 10-15 kg at the top)
    60 x some
    90 x3
    110 x1
    120 x1
    130 x1
    140 x1
    150 x1
    160 x1
    170 x1
    180 x0, 0

Front Squat

20 x6
    50 x5
    80 x5
    80 x5
    80 x5
    82.5 x5
    82.5 x5
    82.5 x5

I did 3x90 zercher squats then realised I really don't need bruised forearms when I'm writing for three hours in my exam tomorrow so Matt said I should sub in -

Hip Thrusts (lying on the floor thrusting hips up with a barbell across the top of the thigh)
    20 x6
    40 x6
    60 x6
    60 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6

Band Abductions
    (band below knees, moving knees outward)
    4 x15

SS with
    Plank
    +15kg 3 x 60s

I'll be missing Friday so I did a little upper work aswell:

Overhead Press
    20 x8
    40 x5
    50 x4
    45 x6
    45 x5

Rows (back at 45 degrees)
    45 x10
    45 x10

I didn't feel particularly strong today but being drained from the exam this morning, about 6 hours of sleep last night and not a whole lot of food yesterday that's to be expected. I think it went fairly well given how I was feeling.

I didn't feel I was getting a very strong set up position on the deadlifts but they were alright. Front squats were a real ordeal but probably the best exercise of the day - all really deep and confident. Hip thrusts were amusing. The plank holds just made me more aware of the fact that my abs are too weak (which I already knew) and I know my abductors (I am getting that right - abductors move out, adductors move in - aren't I?) are weak and that may be part of my lower back issues (which are minor now but still there in the background).

My pressing felt weak as hell. I wanted to do a solid 3x5 at 50kg but my shoulders weren't having any of it. I've got plenty of time to recover before the next max effort upper session on Monday, which should be really good as I'll be free from exam stress and I'll have the time and inclination to cook decent meals for myself.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday - max effort upper.

Floor Press
    20 x some
    50 x3
    60 x1
    70 x1
    80 x1
    85 x1
    90 x0
    90 x1
    95 x0

CGBP

50 x6
    75 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6

DB Row

22.5 x8
    36 x8
    36 x8
    41 x8
    41 x8

JM Press
    (black mini bands)
    16 x6
    16 x6
    16 x6
    16 x4

Plank
    90s
    90s

I tweaked my elbow on the last set of JM presses so I didn't go on to do the shoulder press which was supposed to be the last exercise and did a couple of plank holds instead.

Overall it was a good session considering that I was still a bit hungover. 90kg is pretty respectable for a floor press - I only missed the first attempt because I went a little off balance, but the second was fairly good if a little slow. 95kg didn't really want to move much off the floor though. I fatigued really quickly on the CGBP so I dropped the weight because I knew I wouldn't finish all the sets at 75kg (a shame since I was doing 80kg 4x4 last time). Rows were pretty strong and I haven't used the 41kg DBs before - it was heavy but they felt ok. JM presses were alright but as I said I was fatiguing quickly so I wasn't very strong at the lockout and I just pulled something a little funny in my elbow so I didn't want to continue pressing. It feels fine and I'm sure it's not a real injury so I have no problems with pressing again on Friday, but I didn't want to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    Dynamic Lower.

Band box squat - purple bands
    20 x8
    60 x2
    80 x2
    85 x2
    90 x2 (4 sets)
    - here I realised my box was very low so I added a plate to put it at about half an inch below parallel -
    95 x2 (4 sets)
    100 x2

Front Squat

20 x12
    50 x12
    65 x12
    70 x12 (3 sets)

Zercher Squats

50 x4
    70 x4
    100 x4 (4 sets)

SLDL
    70 x9
    70 x12

I was supposed to do 6 sets of Zerchers and 3 sets of 12 for the SLDLs but my legs were just so fried that I couldn't handle it. I'm still happy with the session though. The box squats were very solid and went heavier than I thought they would, and the front squats were good (although incredibly hard). The zerchers that I did were ok but I was completely running out of steam, and I had nothing left for the SLDLs so even with 70kg I couldn't get the first set out and had to really push myself to get the second.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd be careful about being worried about the box being too low. It's much easier to cut depth from overly deep squats than to add depth to high squats. Deeper squats also have much better carry over to parallel squats than the vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I'd be careful about being worried about the box being too low. It's much easier to cut depth from overly deep squats than to add depth to high squats. Deeper squats also have much better carry over to parallel squats than the vice versa.
    It's not a worry as such, it's just that the other guys were all doing them to parallel and I didn't want to be using a smaller weight. I do a good amount of deep squatting (and I tend to be pretty strict on getting depth) and I don't have worries about my ability to hit depth with max effort weights so it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Zerchers :lolwut:

Dammm you're hardcore :o:

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, got a few questions if you dont mind.

Are you training for anything specific?

Why do you use bands? What do they do? and how do you set it up?

Thanks man
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    It's not a worry as such, it's just that the other guys were all doing them to parallel and I didn't want to be using a smaller weight. I do a good amount of deep squatting (and I tend to be pretty strict on getting depth) and I don't have worries about my ability to hit depth with max effort weights so it should be fine.
    Too much parallel squatting will hurt your ability to squat deep for max efforts. Once you get into the habit of stopping at parallel then it's hard to break out of, because of the ego boost of using bigger weights. I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

Remember, squats have to be below parallel and what looks to be half an inch below to someone is exactly parallel to someone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Zerchers :lolwut:

Dammm you're hardcore :o:
    You better believe it. I've got plenty of bruising on my forearms now, but it's nothing compared to my glute and hamstring DOMS.

(Original post by B1G CUP \_/)
    Hey man, got a few questions if you dont mind.

Are you training for anything specific?

Why do you use bands? What do they do? and how do you set it up?

Thanks man
    I'm training for powerlifting. I will be doing other sports next year (time permitting) but my main aim is to improve my competition total.

The main reason I'm using bands is simply because that's what our coach has us doing. Personally I wonder if we're using them a little too much, but I quite enjoy working with them and I'm getting stronger so it's not a big concern. Basically they make the resistance during the lift variable and get you to focus on acceleration - driving hard off the chest on the bench because you need that speed for the greater resistance at the lockout, and exploding out of the hole for squats to carry the speed as the resistance increases. On the bench, the bands are doubled around dumbbells on the floor, and for squats they're secured by the pins at the bottom of the cage.

(Original post by Smack)
    Too much parallel squatting will hurt your ability to squat deep for max efforts. Once you get into the habit of stopping at parallel then it's hard to break out of, because of the ego boost of using bigger weights. I've been there, done that and got the t-shirt.

Remember, squats have to be below parallel and what looks to be half an inch below to someone is exactly parallel to someone else.
    I understand your concerns, but I'm confident at my depth at the moment and it's something I am strict with myself about, plus I train with a lot of clued-up guys and a coach who is strict on squat depth who will all let me know if I start developing depth problems long before it comes to competition. I also do a lot of front squatting, all of which is very deep.

ReputationRep:
    Dynamic Upper

Band bench (doubled purple minis)
    20 x13 (without bands)
    20 x8
    30 x5
    40 x3 (3 sets wide grip)
    42.5 x3 (3 sets medium grip, 3 sets close grip)

Close grip board press

60 x3
    80 x3
    82.5 x3
    82.5 x2 (tweaked elbow from earlier in the week playing up, didn't want to risk it)
    70 x3 (3 sets)

Barbell rows

50 x8
    75 x8 (4 sets)

No more pressing on account the elbow. Instead:

Shrugs
    80 x12 (3 sets)

EZ-bar curlz
    bar+10 x12
    bar+17.5 x8 (4 sets)

Not a bad session but I didn't want to risk the elbow. Also my shoulders weren't feeling too wonderful (nothing major, just not feeling quite right as they often do). We should be max effort squatting tomorrow, I think, which should be good.

ReputationRep:
    Max effort lower

Deficit Deadlift (3 inch deficit)
    75 x1
    95 x1
    115 x1 - belt on but it was a pretty crappy fit
    125 x1
    135 x1
    145 x1
    155 x1
    160 x1
    165 x1 - ridiculous PB by 20kg over my max from the floor
    170 x0 - didn't move from the floor

Front Squat

50 x6
    85 x6
    85 x6
    85 x6
    80 x6

Good Morning

20 x5
    50 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5
    50 x5
    50 x5
    50 x5

Reverse Lunge
    (alternating - reps are per leg)
    40 x5
    50 x12
    50 x12
    50 x12

Plank
    +10kg 3x60s

Unbelievable deadlifting today. It was a combination of having a good day with plenty of sleep and plenty eaten during the week, having lots of energy now that exams have finished, and making sure I keep my hips down at the start instead of trying to stiff leg it as I'm prone to. I had estimated that I'd be capable of 160kg from the floor with a well-fitting belt, but now I imagine when I get hold of a tighter belt and try a PB from the floor I can get 170kg or maybe 175kg, which puts me a lot closer to my biggest current goal of a 200kg deadlift than I'd previously thought.

Front squats were good. I certainly think it's a good thing that we go these regularly and I'm feeling confident with them at the moment. Very deep and fairly quick for the most part. Good mornings were ok but I'm still not that sure about how is best to do them so I dropped the weight after the first 3 sets to try to be a bit more technical and focus on keeping my back arched and the bend all in the hips. Reverse lunges were, naturally, a complete killer because each set is so big and they knacker your quads and glutes. Definitely a good thing to toughen you up though, especially as I want to try some 20 rep squats over the summer. Plank was fine and to be honest I probably should have used a 15kg plate as 10kg felt light.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.