Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Last time I did 165kg from the floor, I was good for 170kg from the floor. If you're doing 165kg from a deficit, 175kg should be possible, if not 180kg under the right conditions.

Great work chumb.

ReputationRep:
    Nice pulling.

Is a deficit deadlift and rack pull the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. I'll be doing whatever training we're set for the next couple of weeks, then when I get home I'll probably try straight squat and bench maxes and leave it a few weeks before going for a max pull from the floor, so 180kg could be on the cards then.

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    Is a deficit deadlift and rack pull the same thing?
    They're pretty much opposites in terms of altering the pull - a rack pull raises the bar off the floor so you're not performing the first few inches of the lift whereas a deficit pull has you standing on a raised platform (in my case, 50kg bumper plates) so that you start lower and the range of motion is increased.

ReputationRep:
    Rack pulls are usually heavier than from-the-floor, sometimes the same weight depending on the height I think. Deficits are lighter than from-the-floor.

ReputationRep:
    What was that funny thing you said yesterday? I need to quote it, but I think it was deleted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    What was that funny thing you said yesterday? I need to quote it, but I think it was deleted.
    This it the one you quoted (it wasn't deleted):

"Really though, the issue of having to buy bigger jeans pales in comparison to the issue of having small legs."

ReputationRep:
    Max effort upper

CGBP
    50 x5
    60 x1
    70 x1
    80 x1
    90 x1
    95 x0, 0

Incline DB Press
    (~30 degree incline)
    20 x6
    26 x4
    31 x4
    31 x4
    31 x4
    31 x4
    31 x4
    31 x4

JM Press
    (black mini band)
    15 x8
    15 x8
    15 x8

Pull-up
    +0 x6
    +7.5 x6
    +0 x6
    +0 x6
    +0 x6

Overhead Press

40 x7
    45 x7
    50 x7
    50 x4
    45 x5

EZ-bar curls

bar+10 x10
    +20 x8
    +20 x8
    +20 x8

I wasn't very happy with the session today as I felt weak all the way through (I was up until 3am drinking a lot last night as it was our June event) but looking back the numbers themselves weren't half bad. I suppose if I can perform like this on a bad day then I should be confident that I can do better on a good one.

The 90kg CGBP was actually a little easier than it was the other week and I thought I had 95kg in the bag but I just felt so tired so fast today that twice it just stalled about 2-3 inches off the chest. The DB press was reasonably solid and actually quite good for an incline as I'm certainly weaker there than on the flat. JM press was fine but I was taking it a bit easy because of my elbow troubles at the lockout recently.

Pull-ups were a little easier than I thought they would be and I was happy to get a solid set with the 7.5kg chain on, but I fatigued quickly and the last couple of sets were poor. The first set at 50kg is the best overhead pressing I've done (50 x5 was my best previously) which is quite good on a weak day and after all the other stuff (even if the last rep was a massive grinder where I almost went over sideways trying to get my left arm to lockout) but again I fatigued quickly. Curls were done because I want to throw them in on a semi-regular basis because my biceps have typically been a weak point.

ReputationRep:
    No training over the last few days as I was drunk then in Paris then at home. I did a brief conditioning sort of workout today but I'll be back to real training on Wednesday.

Today:

2km run

DB overhead press (one arm at a time)
    10 x12
    17.5 x20
    17.5 x15

DB Row
    17.5 x30

Split squat
    20 (2x10) x12, x12

Also did a few squats with my brother on my back (~60kg). Weight placement was difficulty as he was piggy back rather than across the shoulders so it was easy strength wise but an awkward position.

Nothing to say except that I need to do a lot more cardio because my running was pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    Just a messing around session yesterday.

Deadlift
    75 x4
    115 x2
    140 x1
    155 x1
    165 x1
    170 x0, 0

Power Clean

35 x some
    55 x3
    65 x3
    70 x3
    75 x2

Overhead Press

35 x8
    45 x5
    55 x3
    55 x3
    57.5 x2
    (failed 3rd)

One-arm Dumbbell Snatch
    15 x3
    22.5 x3
    26 x3

EZ-bar curls
    bar+20 x6
    bar+22.5 x6, x6

I was disappointed with the deadlift but I think I was just not feeling particularly strong yesterday. I know I've got 170-175 on a good day but it didn't seem to be happening. 165 was a little easier than it was from a deficit though. Powercleans were reasonable but I didn't push them too far. I've certainly got 80 plus but it's one of those movements where I feel pushing for a max without being confident about the form could be disastrous.

Overhead presses were pretty reasonable. I felt like I had an extra rep in me for the sets at 55 but 57.5 stalled at about eye level on the third rep and wouldn't go higher. Still a PB though as I've never actually done more than 52.5 before, and all reps were strict. Dumbbell snatches were something I just thought would be fun and I could have done 30 plus if I'd wanted, and curls were just curls.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift's a funny one. Sometimes you just don't feel strong.

Nice overhead work though. Nearly at a plate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Deadlift's a funny one. Sometimes you just don't feel strong.

Nice overhead work though. Nearly at a plate!
    Yeah, I am so aware now of days when I'm strong on the deadlift and days when I'm not. I don't think my pressing was particularly strong either - I'd done 50 x7 at the end of a pressing session shortly before so I think 57.5 x3 should have been on the cards without much trouble.

Anyway, I'm back home now and I've signed up for gym membership today. Since my brother will not be training with me after all, I won't be doing a 3x5 routine to get him into it; instead I'll carry on with the westside style training as it's working well for me, but with more of a focus on the central exercises than on variants and band-work (as there aren't bands at my gym at home) and adapting it a little based on how it feels I'm able to recover, as I will also be doing a fair bit of swimming and some sprinting/rowing machine based conditioning. Possibly I'll end up spreading the 4 weekly weights sessions over 8 or 9 days as I don't have many other commitments and can afford to be flexible at the moment.

I'll try to do a fair bit of my training in the morning, but as I'm at the pub tonight I'll probably go in early tomorrow afternoon. I'm looking forward to getting back into it, and particularly to getting some of my cardiovascular fitness back. I suppose I'll do a lower session and a short swim tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Things I did today:

Squat
    60 x8
    90 x5
    100 x3
    110 x3

Power Clean

50 x5
    65 x3
    70 x3
    75 x2 (failed 3rd), +1 10s later
    77.5 x3
    80 x1 (failed 2nd)

SLDL

70 x6
    90 x6
    90 x6
    90 x6

Reverse Lunge
    50 x10
    50 x10

Hanging Leg Raise
    x8
    x8
    x8

Also did a little overhead pressing since in addition to being a max lower session this was me getting back to the gym after a poor few weeks. 40 x13 then was weak as anything and got 40 x6 the next set.

My squats didn't feel very good but I'm loathe to call it a bad session because I haven't done any heavy free squats in a while and they were pretty much atg because I was unsure of my depth and didn't want to cheat myself. Power cleans were reasonably solid but I need to be more explosive with my hip extension and make sure I'm using the shrug properly. Also, although they're power cleans, I'm not really dipping at all at the top and I think I should be at least a little. SLDLs were pretty good (3rd set very fast) but not much fun without chalk and using double overhand. The same goes for the leg raises - good, but no chalk meant sore hands. Lunges just hurt, obviously.

The main point I took away from today, though, is how different it is training at an ordinary commercial gym compared to training at the uni powerlifting club. The entire gym today was full of chicken-legged curl monkeys who seemed astonished at the fact I was squatting at all, let alone to depth, and who must have been incredibly confused by my power cleans. It's kind of nice to feel like a pro amongst a bunch of useless guys, but I'd rather still be training with people stronger than me because it forces you to go that little bit further.

ReputationRep:
    A couple of hours of football today. A bit of just booting it around but mostly a 3 on 3 game (one goal and a neutral goalie). I was absolutely knackered but it was a pleasant surprise to find out that I did't actually suck - my passing is actually pretty good and my shooting wasn't as bad as I thought it would be (scored more goals than anyone and loads more on target or just out). Definitely a bit rusty defensively though.

ReputationRep:
    Today I lifted some things.

DB Bench
    22.5 x8
    27.5 x4
    30 x4
    32.5 x4
    35 x4

CGBP

20 x12
    50 x6
    70 x5
    70 x5
    67.5 x5
    67.5 x5

DB Row

27.5 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

JM Press (no bands)
    20 x6
    20 x6
    20 x6

I also did a spot of rowing. I planned to do a quick 1km but realised my legs were dead from tuesday and yesterday when I was warming up so I just did a fairly unimpressive 250m sprint.

250m - 45.7s (1:31.4 split) rate 38

Dumbbell bench wasn't bad today (I'm pretty sure I've not done more than 32 before) but otherwise a mediocre day because my shoulders went funny, particularly my left. I think it's because I warmed up too hastily at the start. I should know better really, since my shoulders are always giving me trouble and I know the only way to stop it is to break them into things gently. Pressing on tuesday probably didn't help much either. Still, the numbers were alright, although my CGBP was low (no spotter so kept it where I was confident of all the reps).

Tomorrow should be swimming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Today I lifted some things.

DB Bench
    22.5 x8
    27.5 x4
    30 x4
    32.5 x4
    35 x4

CGBP

20 x12
    50 x6
    70 x5
    70 x5
    67.5 x5
    67.5 x5

DB Row

27.5 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

JM Press (no bands)
    20 x6
    20 x6
    20 x6

I also did a spot of rowing. I planned to do a quick 1km but realised my legs were dead from tuesday and yesterday when I was warming up so I just did a fairly unimpressive 250m sprint.

250m - 45.7s (1:31.4 split) rate 38

Dumbbell bench wasn't bad today (I'm pretty sure I've not done more than 32 before) but otherwise a mediocre day because my shoulders went funny, particularly my left. I think it's because I warmed up too hastily at the start. I should know better really, since my shoulders are always giving me trouble and I know the only way to stop it is to break them into things gently. Pressing on tuesday probably didn't help much either. Still, the numbers were alright, although my CGBP was low (no spotter so kept it where I was confident of all the reps).

Tomorrow should be swimming.
    Hey man, isnt that an amazing split time?! Even if its only 250m!

ReputationRep:
    Especially for a short guy?

ReputationRep:
    Strong cleans :top:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B1G CUP \_/)
    Hey man, isnt that an amazing split time?! Even if its only 250m!
    It's not an awful split (though to be honest with the way my legs felt today I'm sure I can do 250m at about 1:27-1:28 even without any extra training on a day when they're fresh) but splits do vary a lot dependent on distance. I wouldn't be anywhere near that for a 2k, though I think in about a month if I do some rowing HIIT alongside my swimming my 2k could be under 7:00. My strength is good, I just need to get some endurance back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Strong cleans :top:
    Cheers - I've been really getting into them the last few sessions and I'm hoping that if I get used to them and my technique gets more solid I can clean 100kg by the end of the summer.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops, left much too long between the last session and this one. Anyway - dynamic lower.

Speed Deadlift
    60 x5
    90 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3
    110 x3

Front Squat

20 x8
    50 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6
    75 x6

Good Morning

20 x8
    50 x6
    50 x6
    50 x6
    50 x6
    50 x6

Leg Press
    (machine thing - 160 was the max)
    110 x10
    160 x15
    160 x15
    160 x15
    (all super fast)

Decline Sit-up (~30 degrees, weight behind head)
    x12
    +5 x8
    +5 x8
    +5 x8

Calf Raise
    (holding barbell, toes on plates)
    70 x12
    70 x12
    70 x12

Definitely a good session. The deadlifts were not quite as fast as I would have liked but they were decent and I think that something about the grip was slowing me down (no chalk in our gym - straps will arrive soon). Some idiot gym instructor came over to tell me not to hit the weight on the floor so heavily after the lift - despite the fact I was in the specific deadlifting area with extra thickness flooring, and I had my hands on the bar the whole time - but I just told him I would then carried on whacking it down.

Front squats were the highlight of today - all really deep and fast. I think I'll do something a bit different and front squat as a max effort lift for my next max effort lower. Good mornings were light but I wanted to just get the volume in and do them with a decent bit of speed. Leg press was just added because I felt like I had more energy and a bit of extra volume wouldn't hurt, and the same goes for the calf raises. Decline sit-ups were actually quite hard with the weight held behind the head so I'll probably do some more of them along with the usual hanging leg raises.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.