Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Since my sessions have been more spread out this week I decided to go straight back to a max effort upper day instead of doing a repetition upper.

Overhead Press
    20 x10
    35 x7
    45 x3
    50 x3
    55 x3
    57.5 x2

DB Bench

20 x10
    27.5 x8
    27.5 x8
    27.5 x8

Chins
    x6
    x6
    x4

Dips

+0 x5
    +12.5 x4
    +17.5 x4
    +20 x4
    +20 x4

Rows
    60 x8
    60 x8
    60 x8

Average session really. I was very disappointed not to get 3 reps out at 57.5 for the overhead press since 55 felt good and I felt I had another rep or two there. DB bench was fine, but the last rep of the last set was a bit of an epic grind. Chins were shameful - I really need to just get a higher volume of chins in so maybe I'll start doing them assisted for higher reps and also lower reps for more sets (e.g. 6x4). I haven't done dips in a long time but since there's a dip station in the gym and they're a good exercise I did a few and they were all pretty good, especially as my tris were already tired. I'll probably do some max effort dips soon and try to get some heavy sets of 3 out at maybe 35-ish. My back is still sore from Monday so I kept the rows light.

I used my new wrist wraps (Strength Shop 'Zeus' ones) for the overhead press today and they're pretty chunky wraps for only £10 so I'm happy with them.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I thought your overhead press would be better given your bench annihilates mine.

Do you actually notice any correlation between the two? I don't. There's been times when I've been able to bench 80 and barely been able to press 40 for 5; now I can easily press 55 for 5 and find 70 for 5 challenging.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I thought your overhead press would be better given your bench annihilates mine.

Do you actually notice any correlation between the two? I don't. There's been times when I've been able to bench 80 and barely been able to press 40 for 5; now I can easily press 55 for 5 and find 70 for 5 challenging.
    I don't see much correlation between the two really. I've seen big bench improvements recently but barely any increase on my press. It seems my bench moves around quite a bit while my press stays constant - whether I've trained it regulary or not trained it in months I always seem to be around 45x5 to 50x5.

ReputationRep:
    Short and sweet session today.

Front Squat
    20 x8
    60 x5
    80 x3
    90 x1
    95 x1
    100 x1
    105 x1
    110 x1
    115 x1
    120 x1

Deadlift

50 x5
    90 x3
    110 x1
    130 x1
    130 x1
    130 x1
    130 x1
    130 x1
    130 x1

Reverse Lunge
    (alternating - reps are per leg)
    60 x8
    60 x8
    60 x8

Then I went to play football afterwards, and pushed quite hard on my cycle home.

I'm pretty pleased with today. The front squat was big and fairly easy really. 120 was pretty fast but I didn't want to go higher because I don't think front squat fails are particularly pretty and I was so full of chicken at the time that I didn't want to grind a massive effort out and cause myself to chunder everywhere.

Deadlifts were really an excuse to test out my straps (which are good and will eliminate grip issues with heavy deadlifting until I'm in a gym that allows chalk again) but they were all smooth and relatively quick. It would be interesting to know what I'm capable of without a belt on - I've done 145 from a deficit but I think I had more in me, so maybe around 155. That won't happen for a little while though - max effort squats are more of a priority now after a while typically doing deadlifts as a max effort movement. Lunges were cool - more weight and slightly fewer reps than before but the same idea of doing tough, long-lasting sets.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    That's a nice front squat. I tried 120 a month ago and it didn't go well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    That's a nice front squat. I tried 120 a month ago and it didn't go well.
    I'm pretty sure your back squat is above mine though. I think I'm just quite quad-dominant still.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, also a funny thing - when I was doing my lunges today I worked in with a guy doing some crappy knees-miles-forward half squats with 70kg and when I got some 20s to replace the 25s he said in a 'wow I thought you were going to lift a crazy weight' sort of way that he thought I was going to put the 20s on top of the 25s, so I was there thinking that if 110kg squats would impress him he should have seen my front squatting earlier.

I briefly contemplated correcting his form, but then realised if I started correcting people's form in my gym the flood gates would open and I'd have to spend all my time telling people not to do things so badly instead of getting any actual training done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Oh, also a funny thing - when I was doing my lunges today I worked in with a guy doing some crappy knees-miles-forward half squats with 70kg and when I got some 20s to replace the 25s he said in a 'wow I thought you were going to lift a crazy weight' sort of way that he thought I was going to put the 20s on top of the 25s, so I was there thinking that if 110kg squats would impress him he should have seen my front squatting earlier.

I briefly contemplated correcting his form, but then realised if I started correcting people's form in my gym the flood gates would open and I'd have to spend all my time telling people not to do things so badly instead of getting any actual training done.
    lol

Yeah, I generally don't ever comment on people unless they ask. But I will talk to people if it's clear it's their first day to step into a gym, or it's obviously the first time they're done a particular lift. And then only if they're working in with me. It is rare though, because nobody asks these days... barely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    lol

Yeah, I generally don't ever comment on people unless they ask. But I will talk to people if it's clear it's their first day to step into a gym, or it's obviously the first time they're done a particular lift. And then only if they're working in with me. It is rare though, because nobody asks these days... barely.
    I suppose the ideal situation is that people will simply watch you lifting and say "You are a complete hero, teach me how to squat like you" and then you can correct their crappy form without having to intrude.

ReputationRep:
    Hill sprints on the bike this evening. Nothing too massive but I need to get back into doing more cycling. 6 reps of a short but steep hill plus a bit of pootling around. I don't have my bike computer attached at the moment and since it was just pretty arbitrary reps it wouldn't have been interesting info anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Alright day today, slightly spoiled by poor endurance and a total lack of coordination.

Push Press
    20 x8
    40 x6
    50 x5
    60 x5
    65 x5
    70 x4 (failed fifth - went off balance)
    70 x4 (failed fifth - lockout out but couldn't get stable under it so I had to throw it down)

DB Row

22.5 x10
    40 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

Bench

20 x10
    50 x8
    60 x5
    65 x8
    65 x8
    65 x5

Lat Pull-down

30 x10
    55 x8
    55 x8
    55 x8

Dips
    +0 x8
    +10 x6

Push presses were pretty decent and the only thing holding me back was my stability with the weight overhead - in both of the failures I had plenty of strength there but little wobbles were creeping in. Practice and a stronger core will see to that though and I'll have 80kg over my head in no time. On the first rep when I started warming up I didn't realise how fast the bar would move and I hit myself in the chin with it. Cue taste of blood.

Rows were ok, but made crappier by the fact the dumbbells in my gym have retarded handles which are thicker in the middle than the outside causing the dumbbell to slip. I may use straps for rows (pathetic, I know) next time just because it's so irritating. Bench should have been much easier but as with the last time I benched more than 6 reps, my chest started to burn out really noticeably. Lat pull downs are just something I wanted to throw in as an aid for chin ups, and I'd wanted to do some 6-8 reps dips but I just felt tired.

There was a guy who I presume was a decent lifter in the gym today (which is notable because it is such a rarity) - wearing do-wins and talking to his mate about working up to a 180 powerlifting style squat before going oly style for a bit. He left just as I arrived though so I didn't get to see him lift or talk to him.

ReputationRep:
    Today was kind of scrappy. Not too happy with it but I think the push presses on Sunday really beat me up a bit.

Power Clean
    20 x5
    50 x5
    65 x4
    75 x3
    75 x3
    (shoulder pain stopped me, would have done 4 sets)

SLDL
    60 x8
    95 x6
    95 x6
    95 x6

Squat
    (atg)
    20 x12
    50 x12
    60 x30

Decline sit-up
    (~30 degrees)
    x15
    x15

My shoulders were very troublesome after push pressing two days ago, and my back is still dodgy from the one I had to dump. Still, I got what I wanted done and I was glad not to be obscenely weak on the high rep squats as I'd feared I might be. 30 reps was actually not too much of a challenge with 60kg (the only trouble was lower back pain, which wouldn't happen normally). I'll do 80 for 20 soon and see how I go from there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    What type of shoulder pain were you getting?

ReputationRep:
    Thats a good press compared to bench. I guess you've been focusing on press for quite a while to get those kind of figures?

Nice front squat too. I'm looking at my form with 60kg at the minute, still all over the place! Haha. Do you use clean or cross arm grip?

ReputationRep:
    The best way I've found (if clean grip hurts) is to use lifting straps and loop them around the bar and hold the ends up. Kinda like a clean grip, but without such an acute elbow/wrist angle. I can do a clean grip when standing, or for power cleans, but if I have to go deep it kills my wrists.

ReputationRep:
    Like this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    What type of shoulder pain were you getting?
    It's hard to describe but it's quite deep down towards the front, with a feeling of complete weakness to it. My shoulders are usually a bit troublesome (though much less since I learned to bench properly) and I think it was probably a bit foolish for me to go so heavy on the push presses when I hadn't done any in ages and the most I've overhead pressed recently is 57.5, so my shoulders weren't really ready for it.

(Original post by Antonious Block)
    Thats a good press compared to bench. I guess you've been focusing on press for quite a while to get those kind of figures?

Nice front squat too. I'm looking at my form with 60kg at the minute, still all over the place! Haha. Do you use clean or cross arm grip?
    I've always preferred overhead pressing to benching so it got a lot more work (I was pressing, I think, 47.5 for 3x5 when I was benching 70 3x5) but I've actually been focusing more on the bench recently. I think I'll be going back to more overhead pressing over the rest of the summer though as I haven't got training partners and it's easier to just overhead press rather than find spotters at my gym who probably have no idea what they're doing, meaning I can't max out on the bench very easily.

My front squats are clean grip - I've never actually tried the cross-armed way and since I want to improve my power cleans it makes sense for me to do more work in that position.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done any more weights sessions as I wanted a short rest after last time being a problem for my shoulders and back. Today I went for a bike ride of around 40 mins (again, no cycle computer so I don't know exactly how long) which was pretty good. I kept it fairly steady aside from the (short) hills and a sprint at the end. On the first steep climb my legs felt like lead, but then after that they were fine, strangely. I need to get some more time in the saddle in but fortunately the Tour de France is giving me plenty of inspiration to go on rides.

ReputationRep:
    Got back to it today and decided to do a mix of upper and lower body.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x3
    120 x3
    130 x1
    140 x1
    145 x1
    150 x1

DB Row

17.5 x12
    32.5 x15
    32.5 x15

DB Bench

20 x8
    25 x5
    32.5 x5
    32.5 x5

Front Squat

20 x8
    50 x6
    70 x4
    90 x4
    90 x4
    90 x4

Dips
    x8
    x8
    x8

A good session overall. My back still didn't feel quite right when I was deadlifting but that's a PB for deadlifting without a belt on and I'm pretty happy with it. Using straps made holding it a joke, but since I had no trouble holding 165kg with chalk and a mixed grip I'm not worried about using the straps for a bit now because it's so awkward otherwise without chalk. I decided to up the reps a bit for the rows and really just yank them up (I normally don't worry about being strict, but especially so today). Front squats felt quite hard but I think that as my legs aren't used to cycling at the moment yesterdays ride meant my quads were a little tired, and also my calves felt tired even though they don't play much of a role in front squats. Still, all reps were done with good form.

ReputationRep:
    I have been so lazy recently.

One-armed DB press - right/left
    14 x10/10
    20 x5/5
    25 x5/5
    27.5 x5/5
    30 x3/0

DB Bench

20 x6
    30 x6
    30 x6
    30 x6

Chins
    x5
    x5
    x5
    x5

Rowing machine
    250m - 45.2 (1:30.4 split)

Didn't really feel at my best today but it wasn't a bad session. I need to get more serious again, I'm letting my work rate go down.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.