Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only person who finds the right/left extremely disconcerting?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resu Eman)
    Am I the only person who finds the right/left extremely disconcerting?
    Question mark.

If this is the usual masturbation joke used to explain imbalance, you get an F- for humour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Question mark.

If this is the usual masturbation joke used to explain imbalance, you get an F- for humour.
    This is a right being on the left and left being on the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resu Eman)
    This is a right being on the left and left being on the right.
    I see. Rationale: I did the pressing with my right hand first and I wrote the exercises in the order I did them. On second thought, it is a silly way to write it.

ReputationRep:
    I put my proper pedals back on my bike today and put the cycle computer back on. I then did a fairly comfortable 20.5km in 45:30. I say 'fairly' comfortable because for the most part it was comfortable, except the 2-3km after the biggest climb, coming about 7-8km from the end. I was very strong on the climb itself (in fact I don't think I've ever climbed so well) and I didn't feel like I'd buried myself on it, but it's testament to how out of practice I am that my legs felt dead whenever I tried to apply anything more than minimal pressure for the next few minutes. My cardiovascular fitness feels fine and I've certainly got the strength to climb decently, but the ability of my legs to recover well after an effort has gone right down. More training needed.

I should be doing a lower body session tomorrow. I don't anticipate my legs being too tired after today so I should be able to do the 80kg x20 squat I'd wanted.

ReputationRep:
    I see. Rationale: I did the pressing with my right hand first and I wrote the exercises in the order I did them.
    Makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Cycling with a friend today - 60km. The time on my computer was 2 hours 37 but that included a number of stops, including popping in to see my friend's friend in Warwick, visiting Warwick castle (just stopping at the outside, obviously), stops to rest a couple of times and some navigating to get out of Warwick.

I started off strong and tried to keep plenty in reserve, but at around the 40-45km mark my legs were shot. After some more of my Snickers, they started to improve but the second half of the trip was noticeably worse than the first. My cardiovascular fitness is still completely fine, but the endurance of my legs needs a lot of work.

In better news, though, my back felt good for the whole of today when normally it wouldn't take a 30km ride without a bit of complaining. It was fine for the ride a few days ago awell (which I did without any breaks, when normally I'd need to stop once per 15km to loosen it out). Hopefully this means I can carry on and get back into proper riding again.

ReputationRep:
    I have been on holiday. I was active for some of it, swimming in the sea a couple of times and going on a couple of decent-sized walks, but I feel pretty lazy right now. Gym tomorrow.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    How many broads you bang?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    How many broads you bang?
    None. I was in Wales.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I didn't go to the gym on Sunday. I am a wretched excuse for a human being. I did, however, go to the gym yesterday.

Squat
    20 x8
    50 x8
    80 x5
    90 x5
    70 x10

Power Clean
    40 x6 (hang clean)
    50 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5

Deadlift

70 x5
    100 x5
    110 x5

Also some decline situps, but the ones with 5kg behind my head made my back feel funny so I did some stretching instead.

That was just getting back into it, since it's about 2 weeks since I did any lifting. Nothing too taxing. I'll do a similarly not-too-heavy session for the upper body tomorrow (I would have done it today, then I realised my next lower session would be on Friday since I'm away at a job interview on Thursday and I can do the session tomorrow so they're spread out more).

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I actually did some exercise for once.

Bench
    20 x8
    40 x8
    60 x8
    65 x6
    70 x5

Incline DB Bench (~30 degrees)
    14 x10
    20 x10
    20 x10
    20 x6

DB Row
    30 x12
    30 x12
    30 x12

Power Clean

20 x6 (hang)
    40 x6 (hang)
    40 x6
    55 x5
    55 x5
    55 x5

Average session, just trying to get myself off my arse and actually train. Upper body stuff was all fine. Cleans were mainly for technique but tired me out quite a bit (not the lifts themselves as they were all fast and easy, just recovering from each set).

ReputationRep:
    None. I was in Wales.
    My condolences.

ReputationRep:
    Short session today.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x3
    120 x3
    130 x3

Front Squat

20 x10
    50 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6

Then 2 sets of 15 decline situps and some stretching and core work. I didn't feel weak on the lifts today, but I'm not completely healthy and it showed in how quickly I fatigued. Deadlifts were pretty nice as I only wanted 120 x3 but that felt too easy for a real work set.

ReputationRep:
    Squat
    60 x5
    80 x5
    90 x5
    100 x5

Bench

50 x8
    60 x6
    70 x5
    70 x5
    70 x5

Pull-ups
    x6
    x6
    x3 lulz

Reverse Lunge
    40 x10 (alternating, 20 reps total)
    50 x10 (same)

Not a bad day. It's the first time in a while I've squatted 100 x5 and it was harder than it should have been. The first rep was super easy and the last was a grinder so I guess I should do 3x5s to sort out my consistency. Bench was pretty decent. I hate pull-ups.

A friend has started at the gym today so I'm helping him start off. He was doing the same exercises as me - squats at 20kg and 30kg and bench at 20kg. He's got a decent squatting action for a beginner (and surprisingly good depth) so hopefully I'll be able to get a good squat out of him.

ReputationRep:
    Today.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x5
    120 x5
    125 x5

Overhead Press

20 x5
    35 x5
    45 x5
    52.5 x4
    50 x3

Dumbbell Row

17.5 x12
    30 x12
    35 x12
    35 x12

Shrug

70 x10
    90 x10
    90 x10

Not a bad session. I think the deadlift was a 5 rep PB as I can only recall doing 122.5 x5 before (with a belt, which I didn't have today). I haven't done 5 rep deadlifting for a while though. Overhead press wasn't disappointing because I've been so lazy for the last few weeks and it's still where it was, but I would really like to go above 50 x5 soon. DB rows were fine but it's so hard to grip the dumbbell with sweaty hands, no chalk and the stupidly shaped handles the gym uses.

My friend was along today - his start on deadlifts wasn't as good as his start on squats but his overhead press was definitely better than his bench.

ReputationRep:
    Squat
    50 x5
    80 x5
    100 x5
    100 x5
    100 x5

DB Bench

17.5 x10
    25 x6
    30 x6
    30 x6
    30 x5
    (failed 5th)

Chins
    x6
    x6

I suck at chinups

Reverse Lunge (alternating legs, 20 reps per set)
    50 x10
    60 x10

One-arm standing press
    (left/right)
    14 x10/10
    20 x5/5
    25 x3/5
    20 x5/5

Definitely a good session today. It was nice to do a proper heavy 3x5 squat for the first time in a while - as last time it felt crazy light for the first rep and heavy for the last so it's clear I need to get used to doing 5 reps, but 100 felt better than last time. I took a narrower stance than usual because I realised I probably go artificially wide and actually feel better this way.

I was pleased to be able to do 60 for the lunges. They're such a good finisher exercise for the legs and arse. The one-arm pressing was just for a bit of fun. I've done better, but the bench was fairly hard so it wasn't really a disappointment.

ReputationRep:
    Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x5
    120 x3
    135 x3

Overhead Press

20 x8
    35 x5
    45 x5
    52.5 x5
    45 x5

DB Row
    20 x10
    32.5 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

Front Squat

20 x6
    50 x6
    70 x4
    70 x4
    - pulled my back a bit here, as usual

Curls
    something 2x8, 1x6

I think the deadlift was a 3RM (it certainly is without a belt) and 52.5 is a 5RM for the overhead press, so a good session all in all. My shoulder felt a little funny on the rows, hence only two sets, and I think I was a bit lazy on the front squat which left my upper back not tight enough so I pulled it in the usual place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    My condolences.
    No broads then, just sheep

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    You'll be joining the three plates club soon!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.