Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Nice one mate, I never knew you were a fellow geek. Is this your first programming job then? You just graduated right?
    Yeah, just graduated and this is the first job I've applied for! I've got a little programming experience from a summer job last year but nothing that impressive - they're not a company who require programming experience anyway, they just want general smart people and give them on-the-job training.

ReputationRep:
    Fair play. I guess that's what a degree from Cambridge gets you! I'm taking a years work experience between second and third years and just hope it's gonna pay enough for me to be able to live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah, just graduated and this is the first job I've applied for! I've got a little programming experience from a summer job last year but nothing that impressive - they're not a company who require programming experience anyway, they just want general smart people and give them on-the-job training.
    Just because you went to Oxbridge doesn't mean you're smart

Diane Abbott! :rolleyes:

(you're clearly a smart bloke...)

Well done on the job front, especially given the current economic climate...

ReputationRep:
    It's not even the degree that's a big factor for them (although anywhere between 25 and 50% of employees have Cambridge degrees) as I only got a 2.ii in mine. They just have some really tough tests and interviews and decide that way.

ReputationRep:
    Sexy, smart AND modest! :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 808)
    1RM of 149 is 5RM of 132.5 according to my spreadsheet!
    How do you work the 1RM out? Just curious? Also, know anywhere I can download a decent spreadsheet?

ReputationRep:
    Sexy, smart AND modest! :moon:
    And rich. You forgot rich.

Seriously though, if they were looking for experience and I said I had that experience it wouldn't be boasting, so I don't see why if they're looking for brains and I have the brains they're looking for it's suddenly arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    And rich. You forgot rich.

Seriously though, if they were looking for experience and I said I had that experience it wouldn't be boasting, so I don't see why if they're looking for brains and I have the brains they're looking for it's suddenly arrogant.
    Who said you were arrogant? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Who said you were arrogant? :confused:
    Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic because I'd said they were employing me for being smart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not Your Usual)
    How do you work the 1RM out? Just curious? Also, know anywhere I can download a decent spreadsheet?
    1 rep max calculator in google. It is pretty accurate I've found for 1RMs I can do for bench

ReputationRep:
    congrats on the job
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Spill the beans: who are you working for>|? I was geting in about with some big oil grads tonight. Basically they said I'm screwed unless I get at the bare minimum a 2i because lats of mech eng grads want to work for them... because they're the most profitalbe company in the world and **** and can pay the best wages and ****.

Things might be different for software engienering. My dad;'s an It contractor. Dunno why I;m typing this, but lots of people get far in IT without a degree even; as long as they can programme/whatever it is they do, and do it well, they'll be vailed and very employable.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.

But anyway, if you're still interested while sober, Smack, the job is with Metaswitch, who make communications software for mobile and internet providers.

ReputationRep:
    His drunken, typo-ridden posts are all over the place. Sorry, aerw alojwver thwe plaices.l,

ReputationRep:
    Lol smack.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic because I'd said they were employing me for being smart.
    Oh no, I was being sincere!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    **** you guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    **** you guys, I don'et have blodo in my alchohol streeam!
    Nice.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, after all this derailing the thread with insignificant stuff about careers, here are some lifts:

Deadlift (first time doing sumo)
    60 x5
    80 x5
    100 x5
    120 x5
    130 x5

Overhead Press

25 x8
    40 x5
    52.5 x5
    50 x5
    50 x5

DB Row

20 x12
    32.5 x12
    32.5 x12

Plus a little core stuff

After the disappointment of feeling weak on Wednesday, today was much better. Sumo deadlifts turned out to work really well for me and 130x5 is a 5 rep PB despite the fact it's the first time I've lifted sumo. I had probably a couple of extra reps in the tank and I'll definitely go up to 135x5 next time. Once I get my belt I'll see about going for a max because it should be better than my regular max of 165kg.

Overhead press was good - 52.5x5 was easier than last time and although I wasn't going to get 3 full sets out I still had enough left to do the next 2 sets at 50. The last rep of the 2nd set at 50 was ridiculous, must have taken about 6 or 7 seconds as I really ground it out. Rows were fine.

Also I got a bunch of guys gawping at me when I was deadlifting today, which was a little depressing given it was a pretty modest lift. It wasn't as if Andy Bolton had just walked into the gym and started repping 350kg.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.