Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog Watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't spam Chumb's log with posts about Adonis. No matter what his measurements are, noone cares if he is a ****. Also, my lifts are better than his without juicing, so maybe I can say that without getting blasted:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Oh come on Chumb, I'm sorry to invade your thread but I thought someone slating Adonis that hard would at least have something decent as his stats. Sorry to be a complete **** and I won't post again so forgive me but...

A 39" chest and a 13" biceps, really? Really?!

I mean I know you "don't train for size" but considering Adonis has a 44" chest and 16-17" bi's who doesn't train for strength, he must be doing something right if he can be much, much bigger than you.

As for your lifts mate... 77.5kg on bench for 2 sets, that's hardly on par considering Adonis can do 90kg for 4 on incline (and that was in April, I'm sure he's mentioned doing much more recently).

And he does about 12 sets on bench... hardly the same level is it now?

I just found it funny how you forget about volume when it comes to comparing lifts lol. And how you can claim to be similar to his level on something he doesn't actively seek but nowhere near in terms of size; I'd love to see anyone here who *****es about him with similar body stats tbh.
    GTFO my thread.

This is the internet, stop taking everything so seriously and leave the discussion in its own thread. It pisses me off when people bring stuff to my thread because they disagree with me elsewhere - it's just a demonstration of the fact you're too invested in the issue.

You know something? As much as I used to disagree with Adonis in general threads I'd very rarely actually go into his log to post and I'd never do so with something that was just derisive, because the whole point of these logs is to record your progress, not allow people to bring up SERIOUS BUSINESS grievances. If you want to keep discussing this, send me a PM and I will ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Lifting.

Deadlift
    60 x5
    90 x4
    110 x2
    130 x2
    140 x4
    100 x5

Overhead Press
    20 x10
    40 x5
    52.5 x5
    52.5 x5

DB Row

22.5 x12
    40 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

Then some lateral raises, curls and plate pinches

Very happy with the deadlifts today. I think they're going to shoot up now I've found that lifting sumo is much better for me. I still need a bit of getting used to it and my right hip felt tight afterwards, but I'm confident I'll get it sorted out. I know my deadlift is still very poor and I don't want to make excuses for that but I think if I'd been lifting sumo for longer it would be higher because it feels much more natural for me.

I'm going to mix up the sets and reps on my pressing a bit because although I'm progressing a bit with trying to get 3x5s out it just feels a bit tedious. Next time I'll go for maybe 3x3 at 55 or 57.5, or maybe even some doubles at 60 if I'm feeling strong. Rows were moving pretty fast today so I think my back is doing alright at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Nice OHP

ReputationRep:
    Try 5x3 for OHP, it really worked for me. It helped me break a plateau from 5x5ing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Try 5x3 for OHP, it really worked for me. It helped me break a plateau from 5x5ing.
    I'll give it a go. I'm pressing better than I ever have now but progress feels slow. Even if it's not any faster doing it 5x3 for a bit instead of staying with 3x5, it'll at least be less monotonous.

ReputationRep:
    I've just ordered the 10mm double prong belt from Strength Shop. I shall report on its quality when it arrives but I'm sure it'll be pretty good. Not bad for £40, it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Lifting.

Deadlift
    60 x5
    90 x4
    110 x2
    130 x2
    140 x4
    100 x5

Overhead Press
    20 x10
    40 x5
    52.5 x5
    52.5 x5

DB Row

22.5 x12
    40 x8
    40 x8
    40 x8

Then some lateral raises, curls and plate pinches

Very happy with the deadlifts today. I think they're going to shoot up now I've found that lifting sumo is much better for me. I still need a bit of getting used to it and my right hip felt tight afterwards, but I'm confident I'll get it sorted out. I know my deadlift is still very poor and I don't want to make excuses for that but I think if I'd been lifting sumo for longer it would be higher because it feels much more natural for me.

I'm going to mix up the sets and reps on my pressing a bit because although I'm progressing a bit with trying to get 3x5s out it just feels a bit tedious. Next time I'll go for maybe 3x3 at 55 or 57.5, or maybe even some doubles at 60 if I'm feeling strong. Rows were moving pretty fast today so I think my back is doing alright at the moment.
    Do you think it has something to do with shorter arms perhaps? I have T -Rex like arms and was struggling with 140x1 conventional but the next week managed 150x2 with sumo. Maybe something to do with allowing a better setup, for me personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Young Pretender)
    Do you think it has something to do with shorter arms perhaps? I have T -Rex like arms and was struggling with 140x1 conventional but the next week managed 150x2 with sumo. Maybe something to do with allowing a better setup, for me personally
    The strange thing is that I always thought I was built more for conventional deadlifting because I have short legs and longer arms and torso. I think for me my back copes much better with sumo deadlifting than with conventional, and my back is always what limits me as I've had long-running problems with it.

I think there are a number of factors that affect which is better for you, but in the end it comes down to trying out both and seeing which is more comfortable and/or lets you lift more.

ReputationRep:
    Your squat is very good compared to your conventional though isnt it? Sumo is more like a squat that conv... I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Witchita)
    Your squat is very good compared to your conventional though isnt it? Sumo is more like a squat that conv... I think
    Yeah, at one time my squat and deadlift PBs were both 145kg. My deadlift's pulling away now, but I haven't maxed out on squats in quite a while. I'll do maybe some doubles or triples when my belt gets here to see what my squats are like. I reckon I'll be good for a 175kg deadlift as well, but we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at one time my squat and deadlift PBs were both 145kg. My deadlift's pulling away now, but I haven't maxed out on squats in quite a while. I'll do maybe some doubles or triples when my belt gets here to see what my squats are like. I reckon I'll be good for a 175kg deadlift as well, but we'll see.
    Hi, put videos up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 808)
    Hi, put videos up?
    Good plan if the quality of the video on my old camera is any good. I'll record some squats and deadlifts and maybe even some benching.

ReputationRep:
    Good plan if the quality of the video on my old camera is any good. I'll record some squats and deadlifts and maybe even some benching.
    Nice one, if you're doing a similar routine to me then tomorrow is a big day I'll be putting some stuff up aswell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 808)
    Nice one, if you're doing a similar routine to me then tomorrow is a big day I'll be putting some stuff up aswell!
    I'll wait until I've got my belt to do my videos since until then I'll just be doing the stuff I've done for the last few weeks with sets of 5 and I'd rather video some heavier weights and sets of 1-3.

ReputationRep:
    I'll wait until I've got my belt to do my videos since until then I'll just be doing the stuff I've done for the last few weeks with sets of 5 and I'd rather video some heavier weights and sets of 1-3.
    Doesn't your gym have belts lying around? Doesn't really matter what you put up if you havnt got a belt you can't go as heavy simple as that. Either way, put up what you can it's all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 808)
    Doesn't your gym have belts lying around? Doesn't really matter what you put up if you havnt got a belt you can't go as heavy simple as that. Either way, put up what you can it's all good.
    The one at uni had a cupboard full of good kit (belts, bands, chalk, grippers, wraps etc.) but at the moment I'm at home in a crappy chain gym that doesn't even have chalk. It's essentially an ego thing because my lifts are pretty poor and I want to be able to post up ones that are as big as possible.

Anyway, no gym for me today as I've got a bit of a cold. Just the usual sore throat and swollen glands in my neck but it's robbing me of quite a bit of energy and I think it'll be better to leave it today and recover quickly for Sunday. Instead I will sit in my room and play guitar all day.

My belt came from Strength Shop today (very quick delivery) and it looks pretty good. The build quality seems solid with a chunky buckle that's well secured into the material. They're right that the material is a little more supple than a regular leather belt but it feels comfortable. I think it was a pretty good buy.

ReputationRep:
    I trained today but I think I must be still suffering from a lack of energy because my big deadlift attempt was awful - I just couldn't generate any force. The other stuff wasn't too bad though. I've switched back onto an upper/lower split because I always liked that more and the full body stuff was just to get back into and show my friend the basics.

Deadlift
    60 x5
    90 x3
    (belt on)
    110 x3
    140 x1
    155 x1
    165 xFAIL
    (didn't even move and I barely felt like I was applying any force)

Front Squat
    50 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6
    70 x6

Good Morning

20 xSome
    40 x6
    60 x6
    60 x6
    60 x6

SLDL

70 x10
    75 x10 (slight deficit - small 15s as the biggest plates)
    75 x10
    75 x10

Hanging Leg Raise
    x8
    x8
    x8

Aside from the complete lack of a big deadlift, things went fairly well. I'm obviously fine to work through a whole session and not get too fatigued, but it wasn't in me to do anything at max effort today. Ah well. I'm eating two big dinners tonight and back to training the way that suits me best, with an upper body session tomorrow (probably dynamic/repetition focused given how the heavy stuff worked out today).

Also, I realise it's a little superflous to do SLDLs as well as GMs, but I was showing my friend the new exercises as he's got the basics now. He got an 80x2 deadlift today which is not bad after 4 weeks of training and struggling with 50 to start with.

ReputationRep:
    Was that 165 sumo or conventional? You'll have it next time, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Was that 165 sumo or conventional? You'll have it next time, good luck!
    The old 165 was conventional. I certainly feel better lifting sumo and I've not done anything as good for reps as my 140 x3 sumo so I'm sure it will end up being the better way for me. If I'm properly fueled up (I'd eaten nothing but a bowl of branflakes before the gym today) and feeling completely healthy (I thought I was ok today but over the weekend I felt like even though I wasn't particularly ill my energy levels were right down) I'll hit 165 and go higher with no trouble at all.

I'm already experiencing a lot of soreness in my legs on account of returning to my previous Westside-ish training. It does tend to result in a lot more pain the next day (though obvious less once I'm back into it) but much better results overall. My bench and deadlift did very well on it before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.