Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Wicked session today, despite the fact that I was an hour late to the gym.

Squats 100kg 3x5

Overhead press 45kg 1x5, 47.5kg 2x5

Chins 2x8

I was supposed to be squatting 95kg but because there were no 2.5kg plates around and I thought doubling 1.25s would be inelegant, I went for 100kg. In each of the first two sets there was one rep in which I let my knees come forward too much and rounded my back a bit, and the last rep of the last set was a little slow, but they were all a good depth and mostly felt very solid. Plenty more in the tank.

I couldn't decide whether to go for 42.5kg or 45kg on the overhead press but after a couple at 40kg in the warm-up which felt easy I went for 45kg, which felt really light and shot up. The 47.5kg sets were harder but still very solid, so I was really pleased with them.

I seem to have totally lost the ability to do chins this term (used to do 5 at +16.5kg) but it's no biggie. I'm sure they'll get better.

ReputationRep:
    Also, diet for yesterday:

Fried breakfast (egg/sausages/bacon/beans/toast/tomato)
    Chicken sandwich, milkshake and smoothie (1150kcal, apparently)
    2 pints of milk
    3 course dinner (pretty big)
    Loads of alcohol

Man was I drunk last night. I was working the college bar with 3 friends (one being Mike, the world's most lenient head bar person) and it was a quiet night so basically all we did was drink for free. I'd had half a bottle of wine beforehand at the meal, followed by (at least) a pint, 3 strawpedo'd reefs, a jaegerbomb, a double amaretto and coke and a double sambuca.

Today I've only eaten a pizza slice so far but I'm now chinning a pint of milk and I'm about to head to KFC for a barbeque box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Also, diet for yesterday:

Fried breakfast (egg/sausages/bacon/beans/toast/tomato)
    Chicken sandwich, milkshake and smoothie (1150kcal, apparently)
    2 pints of milk
    3 course dinner (pretty big)
    Loads of alcohol

Man was I drunk last night. I was working the college bar with 3 friends (one being Mike, the world's most lenient head bar person) and it was a quiet night so basically all we did was drink for free. I'd had half a bottle of wine beforehand at the meal, followed by (at least) a pint, 3 strawpedo'd reefs, a jaegerbomb, a double amaretto and coke and a double sambuca.

Today I've only eaten a pizza slice so far but I'm now chinning a pint of milk and I'm about to head to KFC for a barbeque box.
    Lightweight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Lightweight!
    There are probably other things I can't remember too but I'm not too bothered about not having a massive alcohol tolerance - it's cheaper.

As for food, I'm being considerably more heavyweight - instead of KFC I've bought a Tesco takeaway indian meal for 2, weighing in at 2100kcal with 90g of protein. Massive win. That'll bring me over 3000kcal today before I even think about eating this evening (which admittedly I might not do much of since this meal is a joint lunch/dinner.

ReputationRep:
    There are probably other things I can't remember too but I'm not too bothered about not having a massive alcohol tolerance - it's cheaper.

As for food, I'm being considerably more heavyweight - instead of KFC I've bought a Tesco takeaway indian meal for 2, weighing in at 2100kcal with 90g of protein. Massive win. That'll bring me over 3000kcal today before I even think about eating this evening (which admittedly I might not do much of since this meal is a joint lunch/dinner.
    Speak for yourself mate, I'm in the land of 1E wine and 4E vodka. :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    Speak for yourself mate, I'm in the land of 1E wine and 4E vodka. :gthumb:

WHAT? You git. I can't really complain though, almost everything I drank yesterday was free because you get to drink when you work behind the bar.

P.S. This curry is brilliant. I am going to be so full when I'm done.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Grind grind grind. Lifts were ok today but everything was SO SLOW. Also, I was probably wrong about being able to squat and deadlift on the same day - at my weight, I think my lifts are advanced enough that this is a bad idea so I'll be keeping heavy squats out of deadlift days from now on.

Deadlift:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x4
    115kg x5
    80kg x5 (looking for some speed)

Bench:
    20kg x12
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    65kg x5
    67.5kg x5
    67.5kg x5

Squat:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    92.5kg x5
    102.5kg x5
    100kg x5
    90kg x5

Had to back off on the squats because being so slow killed my confidence and I didn't feel like I was sitting back properly or getting to a consistent depth. I'll probably do some box squat doubles/triples next session with 105/110kg when I'm not tired from deadlifts and then take the box away to see if I can keep the confidence to sit back with a decent weight when it's not there.

ReputationRep:
    Does your deadlift not seem quite low compared to your squat? Or do I just have bizarre ratios?:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Does your deadlift not seem quite low compared to your squat? Or do I just have bizarre ratios?:p:
    It is quite low, mainly as a result of having a lot of lower back problems last year (and also enjoying squats more when I started out, though at the moment I enjoy deadlifts more). The weird ratio is even more obvious in my maxes - 135kg deadlift and 125kg squat (and a 130kg box squat around the time I did the 135kg deadlift).

ReputationRep:
    It is quite low, mainly as a result of having a lot of lower back problems last year (and also enjoying squats more when I started out, though at the moment I enjoy deadlifts more). The weird ratio is even more obvious in my maxes - 135kg deadlift and 125kg squat (and a 130kg box squat around the time I did the 135kg deadlift).
    Oh fair enough then.
    Hope the back's all cleared up and you can soon beat my deadlift as well as everything else

ReputationRep:
    Ugh. Grind grind grind. Lifts were ok today but everything was SO SLOW. Also, I was probably wrong about being able to squat and deadlift on the same day - at my weight, I think my lifts are advanced enough that this is a bad idea so I'll be keeping heavy squats out of deadlift days from now on.

Deadlift:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    100kg x4
    115kg x5
    80kg x5 (looking for some speed)

Bench:
    20kg x12
    40kg x5
    50kg x5
    60kg x5
    65kg x5
    67.5kg x5
    67.5kg x5

Squat:
    60kg x5
    80kg x5
    92.5kg x5
    102.5kg x5
    100kg x5
    90kg x5

Had to back off on the squats because being so slow killed my confidence and I didn't feel like I was sitting back properly or getting to a consistent depth. I'll probably do some box squat doubles/triples next session with 105/110kg when I'm not tired from deadlifts and then take the box away to see if I can keep the confidence to sit back with a decent weight when it's not there.
    Mate the key is that you're getting the weight up. You're trying to get strong at the moment. Eat well,sleep well, throw another 2.5 on next time and you'll probably be even quicker with that. Too early for box work, you haven't even stalled once yet.

ReputationRep:
    Mate the key is that you're getting the weight up. You're trying to get strong at the moment. Eat well,sleep well, throw another 2.5 on next time and you'll probably be even quicker with that. Too early for box work, you haven't even stalled once yet.
    I've found box work handy before in getting me to sit back, but you're probably right in that I'm trying to get back to basics for a while until I'm back to a few kgs more than my biggest lifts before were and throwing in box squats as a gut reaction to my squats being understandably worse after deadlifting. My technique has been fine up to now so I'll chalk it up to being tired on an already sluggish day - I've got no doubt I can nail 105kg on Saturday.

I won't be squatting heavy and deadlifting heavy on the same days any more though - maybe I can fiddle some things around so I do some front squats on deadlift days. I like front squats.

As for the speed, it's not something that bothers me too much as I can feel the strength is there - haven't flat benched in about 2-3 months but even though the 67.5kg ones were slow there was never a doubt about them going up. It's just a little annoying and untidy to have to grind out reps when normally I'd be faster.

ReputationRep:
    Squats:
    20 x10
    60 x5
    80 x5
    95 x5
    105 x5
    105 x5
    105 x5

OH press:
    20 x10
    30 x5
    40 x4
    45 x2
    50 x5
    50 x3 - fail and hurt my shoulder a bit.

Chins:
    +0 x5
    +0 x5
    +7.5 x3
    +12.5 x3
    +12.5 x3

Bit of a mixed bag this morning. On the one hand, I more than a bottle of wine last night and whilst I wasn't at all hungover this morning, I could feel it when I started exercising, plus my right shoulder was sore from benching (as usual) and I unracked the weight sloppily for my second working set of OH presses which further traumatised it. On the other hand, I hit my squats solidly even though drinking the night before meant I definitely wasn't on top form, and my decision to switch from reps on the chins to adding weight felt like a nice change and should hopefully carry over to doing them unweighted - at all three weights I did today the first three felt fast and powerful.

It was definitely the right decision to carry on with my squats as normal instead of faffing with box squats yet. I may have cheated myself out of a little depth at the end of the 2nd set but I made sure every rep of the 3rd was bang on. Given that I wasn't at my best this morning, I'm really happy with where my squats are at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Today:

Deadlift:
    60 x5
    80 x5
    - Belt on -
    100 x3
    110 x2
    122.5 x5
    130 x2
    140 x1
    145 x0
    145 x1 - PB by 10kg

DB Bench
    15 x8
    22.5 x6
    27.5 x8, x8, x8

Deadlifting WIN. I decided I'd try out using a belt since one of last year's varsity guys had said anyone could use his which was still in the cupboard as getting used to lifting in a belt would be a good idea. I was going to do 120 x5 without so I thought 122.5 x5 seemed reasonable. It was pretty tough but there was a lot left in the tank and I didn't really want to do any front squats because my knees are a little funny at the moment so I did more deadlifts. 130 x2 was a joke, then 140 x1 felt hard but went up quite fast. The only reason I failed 145 the first time was because of my grip - I was still using double overhand and it was slipping. I didn't leave that much time before my second attempt at 145 with a mixed grip so it went up more slowly but was still solid. I reckon after a performance like that even after my normal set of 5 I'm easily on for 160kg at the end of the month.

Bench was tough after all that deadlifting, but they all went up fine. In a rare occurence, I was really feeling the burn. Maybe this will grow me swole pecs, maybe I don't care because my deadlift is finally looking up.

ReputationRep:
    Today:

Deadlift:
    60 x5
    80 x5
    - Belt on -
    100 x3
    110 x2
    122.5 x5
    130 x2
    140 x1
    145 x0
    145 x1 - PB by 10kg

DB Bench
    15 x8
    22.5 x6
    27.5 x8, x8, x8

Deadlifting WIN. I decided I'd try out using a belt since one of last year's varsity guys had said anyone could use his which was still in the cupboard as getting used to lifting in a belt would be a good idea. I was going to do 120 x5 without so I thought 122.5 x5 seemed reasonable. It was pretty tough but there was a lot left in the tank and I didn't really want to do any front squats because my knees are a little funny at the moment so I did more deadlifts. 130 x2 was a joke, then 140 x1 felt hard but went up quite fast. The only reason I failed 145 the first time was because of my grip - I was still using double overhand and it was slipping. I didn't leave that much time before my second attempt at 145 with a mixed grip so it went up more slowly but was still solid. I reckon after a performance like that even after my normal set of 5 I'm easily on for 160kg at the end of the month.

Bench was tough after all that deadlifting, but they all went up fine. In a rare occurence, I was really feeling the burn. Maybe this will grow me swole pecs, maybe I don't care because my deadlift is finally looking up.
    Aren´t you throwing the belt on kind of early?

ReputationRep:
    Aren´t you throwing the belt on kind of early?
    Yeah, but I want to use it for the competition and wanted to try it out. Next few times I deadlift will be without it.

ReputationRep:
    Decent session today. Generally felt reasonably solid but nothing amazing

Squats
    20 x8
    60 x5
    80 x5
    100 x3
    110 x5, x5, x5

OH press
    20 x8
    30 x6
    40 x4
    50 x5, x4, x2

Chins
    +0 x5
    +10 x5
    +15 x5

Squats were good despite my back feeling a bit fried from the other day. I had plenty of confidence to go to a good depth and all of the reps were of a good standard. I was a little surprised at the OH press - I didn't feel that weak, the bar just felt really heavy. I think my chest being weirdly fried from the other day ("feeling the burn" -> major DOMS) didn't help but at least I got more reps than last time. I might just go for 52.5 next time if I'm feeling confident - there's no way this is a proper stall. Unweighted chins were feeling very quick, and adding weight felt pretty good so I'll stick with going for as much as I can for sets of 5 for now rather than adding reps.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely putting on weight. I've just put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn since the start of term and they're certainly getting a little snugger. I've also had to get rid of a shirt that I wore again the other day and found to be really tight. I'm also able to grab more fat on my stomach than before. Hopefully this is mainly a consequence of all the big sensible meals I eat, rather than the dumb things like eating butter from the tub that I was doing this morning.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with eating butter from the tub. Was it proper butter? I don't think they put real butter in tubs, do they?

Nice log, everything's moving up nicely.

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely putting on weight. I've just put on a pair of jeans that I haven't worn since the start of term and they're certainly getting a little snugger. I've also had to get rid of a shirt that I wore again the other day and found to be really tight. I'm also able to grab more fat on my stomach than before. Hopefully this is mainly a consequence of all the big sensible meals I eat, rather than the dumb things like eating butter from the tub that I was doing this morning.
    That´s rank mate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.