Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    Light weight and white lights, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Competition day!

Today was great fun and I can't wait to do another competition. Marginally missed out on bench and deadlift PBs but I made up for it with a big squat.

Squat:
    Attempt 1: 125 good lift
    Attempt 2: 132.5 good lift
    Attempt 3: 142.5 good lift (PB by 12.5kg)

Bench:
    Attempt 1: 75kg good lift
    Attempt 2: 82.5kg good lift
    Attempt 3: 87.5kg fail

Deadlift:
    Attempt 1: 130kg good lift
    Attempt 2: 142.5kg good lift
    Attempt 3: 147.5kg fail

Total: 367.5kg
    Wilks points: 272.8

Great stuff, had a lot of fun. Getting such a big improvement on the squat (with IPF judge approved depth so no worries about whether it was legit) was amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome work dude :yep: Did Cambridge win?

ReputationRep:
    My immediate question was also going to be if we won varsity:p:

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge got ******* raped. Massive respect to Oxford, they have such consistency in their squad - they brought along (I think) 8 guys and not one of them failed to deadlift 200kg or more. I can't remember the exact result but I'll link them when they're posted. Of our guys, I think the best was Jerrell with a 210 squat, 155 bench and 255 deadlift at 92kg bodyweight.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, good going by Oxford.
    Looks like you did pretty well , pity about the last deadlift/bench though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Wow, good going by Oxford.
    Looks like you did pretty well , pity about the last deadlift/bench though.
    Yeah they were mighty impressive. I was pretty happy with how I did - I think on a good day if I was just going for a max on each individually I could hit 87.5 on the bench and 147.5 on the deadlift, but it wasn't to be today. It still represents a 9kg increase on my previous best 'total' and that wasn't even a total acheived on a single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah they were mighty impressive. I was pretty happy with how I did - I think on a good day if I was just going for a max on each individually I could hit 87.5 on the bench and 147.5 on the deadlift, but it wasn't to be today. It still represents a 9kg increase on my previous best 'total' and that wasn't even a total acheived on a single day.
    I always think the whole everything in one day context makes it slightly harder, because I'd imagine a completely max effort squat/DL on the same day would be almost impossible.
    Good job though anyway!

ReputationRep:
    Well done mate, I had my first comp a few weeks ago, so can relate to the feeling

Bet you can't wait for your next one now, I know I cant

Any videos?

Congrats on the PB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    Well done mate, I had my first comp a few weeks ago, so can relate to the feeling

Bet you can't wait for your next one now, I know I cant

Any videos?

Congrats on the PB
    Yeah, looking forward to my next chance to compete! Great atmosphere, it really brings you to the top of your game. It was also great to see some really impressive lifters going to the limit (Oxford's heaviest dude hit his 2nd attempt deadlift of 290kg and in order to try to win overall he had to go for 320kg on his last attempt - he didn't get it but it's great to watch lifters of that standard).

No videos as yet, but there was an Oxford guy recording a lot of stuff. I don't know if he recorded Cambridge lifts though.

ANYWAY: Today, 20 minutes of (slow and heavily interrupted by walking) running to try and loosen myself out, followed by plenty of stretching. I'll probably take a rest tomorrow and get back in the gym for a light session on Tuesday.

At the moment, my plan is keep doing roughly the same thing in the gym and get back to doing plenty of my other sports (I'm getting an epee from my friends as a late birthday present so I should really start fencing again to justify getting it, for a start). I will be putting a little more focus on speed in my lifting now because that's my real weak point, so I'll be learning cleans and doing some front squats, push presses etc and doing heavy sets of squats and deadlifts slightly less often. This should help my speed issues and also have a good effect on my sporting performance in speed stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Just looking at the final scores now shows how strong the oxford team were - here's a list of their lifters (in descending wilks order):

83.5kg guy with 227.5/155/240
    110.5kg guy with 230/155/290
    63.7kg guy with 180/105/200
    80.1kg guy with 190/135/235
    91.2kg guy with 190/137.5/232.5
    88.8kg guy with 185/107.5/245
    82.2kg guy with 170/97.5/227.5
    85.4kg guy with 155/100/210

That's one hell of a good team.

ReputationRep:
    Christ that is a good team! that 63.7kg guy is very strong..

ReputationRep:
    :yes:

was this raw?

ReputationRep:
    It counts as raw with just belts right? If so, yes. By the way just had to edit it - the 110kg guy deadlifted 290kg, not 190kg.

ReputationRep:
    yup, no wraps, no suits.

very cool stats.

ReputationRep:
    Impressive stuff.
    Didja get Pete to turn out btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Impressive stuff.
    Didja get Pete to turn out btw?
    Nah, I think either he was involved with GB stuff this weekend or is the following weekend so he wasn't keen. I'm not entirely sure - I think he's signed up to be down at the gym about an hour after me today so if I'm still there when he arrives I'll ask him.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNsecg_Eb0

video of the oxford lifters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_wut)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNsecg_Eb0

video of the oxford lifters
    Cool, thanks. You can see me a few times in there - little guy in the light blue t-shirt, black shorts and red-topped socks.

ReputationRep:
    The gym was full today so I cleverly combined handing in some essay work on the other side of Cambridge with some cycling. Nothing too major, just alternating high and low intensity. It felt pretty good.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.