Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Nah, I think either he was involved with GB stuff this weekend or is the following weekend so he wasn't keen. I'm not entirely sure - I think he's signed up to be down at the gym about an hour after me today so if I'm still there when he arrives I'll ask him.
    Nah, I asked him in lectures, he was at commonwealth squad training or something.

ReputationRep:
    It turns out I've been somehow selected to compete in the Modern Pentathlon Varsity reserves match on the 26th-28th March. The reserves only swim, run and shoot but still I need to get my competetive hat on.

Tonight: fencing. Would go to the circuits session beforehand but I am swamped with work and have a bit of a throat infection.

ReputationRep:
    Lulz, just did a quick quad measurement and I'm 23 inches around - not bad for a 71kg dude, I reckon!

ReputationRep:
    Mine are down to a puny 24.5, not happy!

ReputationRep:
    Today: Fencing for an hour earlier (I was shocking after a term off) and a core/stretching session this evening.

(Original post by Brotherhood)
    Mine are down to a puny 24.5, not happy!
    I'm thinking of going on W4SB since I need a program that will gel well with running and swimming training for the moment. Any tips/suggestions/observations about it that would be relevant?

ReputationRep:
    Today: Fencing for an hour earlier (I was shocking after a term off) and a core/stretching session this evening.

I'm thinking of going on W4SB since I need a program that will gel well with running and swimming training for the moment. Any tips/suggestions/observations about it that would be relevant?
    Erm, not really. Make sure to switch up lifts when you stall, always do your jumps, GHRs are awesome, plan your week and diet around ME days, don't be afraid of doing what it says, even if it doesn't make sense e.g. max repping, inc for 20 after bench and so on, try and incorporate as much of the cardio he recommends like sprints and so on (it's not just a weights routine).

**** I dunno, I can answer any specifics but off teh top of my head nothing jumps out at me, it's been a while. Maybe look through my old posts?

Can't wait to jump back on it though. Maybe when I hit three plate squat for 5 and four plate dead. My bench seems to go up quicker on it than on SS. Gonna smash some freshers next year.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, not really. Make sure to switch up lifts when you stall, always do your jumps, GHRs are awesome, plan your week and diet around ME days, don't be afraid of doing what it says, even if it doesn't make sense e.g. max repping, inc for 20 after bench and so on, try and incorporate as much of the cardio he recommends like sprints and so on (it's not just a weights routine).

**** I dunno, I can answer any specifics but off teh top of my head nothing jumps out at me, it's been a while. Maybe look through my old posts?

Can't wait to jump back on it though. Maybe when I hit three plate squat for 5 and four plate dead. My bench seems to go up quicker on it than on SS. Gonna smash some freshers next year.
    I'll have to mix it up a bit given that some of my other training sessions are already set in the week, but I think I'll probably go for something like:

Monday - DE Lower
    Tuesday - ME Upper
    Thursday - ME Lower
    Saturday - RE Upper

I may not always be able to put in the DE Lower on Mondays but since that's not a part of the first incarnation of the program it is presumably not absolutely central so I'll just do it when I can. Things may change over easter anyway because I'll be at home for 3 weeks but I'll try to get to the gym when I can (probably pop into Birmingham to go to the Colliseum) and otherwise chuck a sandbag around in the garden and keep up some circuits/dynamic stuff.

I'll be in the gym tomorrow so I'll go for the ME Lower session. My favourite kind of session

ReputationRep:
    First Westside for Skinny *******s session today - it was a lot of fun! Feeling much more knackered than I normally do but that's to be expected when I normally do full-body workouts rather than an upper/lower split. I had a 5 minute jog to the gym and a jog back (which was much less pleasant!) - I did the ab circuit after jogging home because our gym is tiny and I didn't want to get in the way doing things I could do in my room. Anyway, the session! Work sets in bold:

A. Deadlift

70 x5
    100 x3
    120 x3
    130 x3

B. Split squats (holding DBs, reps per leg)

+0 x5
    +2x10 x5
    +2x16 x8
    +2x16 x8
    +2x16 x8

C. Good mornings

20 x10
    40 x10
    40 x10
    40 x10

D. Ab circuit x2 (short because I'm out of condition)

Crunches x15
    Hip-ups x10
    Toe touches x10

It was a lot of fun doing something new and I was happy to hit a reps PB for the deadlift - I didn't use the belt today and my previous best unbelted deadlift was 135 x1. I think sitting a little deeper into it helped, which makes sense given that my lower back is whats holding me back so I can shift more weight by bringing as much focus onto the legs as possible.

Split squats really hit the quads even though I didn't go as heavy as I maybe could have because I didn't feel totally stable on my first time doing them. The same goes for the good mornings; hit my hamstrings pretty hard though I didn't max out because I'm not used to them.

ReputationRep:
    Good news and bad news today.

The good news is that I was pleasantly sore after Thursday's session, and though I know this doesn't mean that much I do feel like it gave me a much more balanced lower body workout with a big lift and stuff focusing on the quads and then on the posterior chain than I ever got from doing just heavy squats or deadlifts. The other good news is that I received the sword (epee) today that was a birthday present from my friends. It's a pretty neat weapon and it'll also encourage me to practice footwork and accuracy in my room regularly.

The bad news is that what I thought was just a normal slightly sore throat is turning out to be a pretty bad cold. I had to miss running yesterday and combined run/shoot and my RE upper session this morning. I'll still be riding this afternoon but I don't feel too great. I'm not as bad as I was yesterday though - I was trying to work in the afternoon and just falling asleep because I felt tired and weak.

I don't think I'll make fencing tomorrow but I should have recovered sufficiently for monday to do the combined run/shoot and my DE lower day, even if I do scale it back a bit. For now I'll just eat well, rest, and see what work I can get done without giving myself too much of a headache.

ReputationRep:
    +1 for cold/infection.

ReputationRep:
    Recovering pretty well from the cold now. Went to the gym for my ME upper session today - my god I am I tired! Evidently on good form though since even though I'm not totally back to health yet I matched my old 5RM on the bench.

Barbell Bench

20 x12
    50 x6
    65 x3
    75 x5

Incline Dumbbell Bench

16 x17
    16 x15
    16 x12

BB Rows (supersetted with DB cleans)

60 x8
    60 x8
    60 x6

Seated DB Cleans

15 x8
    15 x8
    15 x5

DB Shrugs

26 x10
    26 x10
    26 x10

Dem Curlz (using that ******y, twisted bar)

Bar x8
    Bar+10 x8
    Bar+15 x8
    Bar+15 x8

Barbell benching was good - felt like I probably had another rep there if I'd wanted it. Incline DBs were ******* unpleasant but I always hate high-rep stuff. Not much to say about the rows and cleans except that I'm not used to doing such high volume for my upper body so I was tiring by the last sets. I have no idea how heavy I'm supposed to go on the shrugs (did some with 36kg to start with but I have no idea how high you're supposed to shrug so I'll leave it low for now - they feel like a crappy exercise anyway and I don't see what I'm getting out of them). Curlz were pretty standard - haven't curled in about a year but it wasn't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    Split squats really hit the quads even though I didn't go as heavy as I maybe could have because I didn't feel totally stable on my first time doing them. The same goes for the good mornings; hit my hamstrings pretty hard though I didn't max out because I'm not used to them.
    Split squats are brilliant although I've been doing them for a few weeks and I'm still wobbly whenever I increase the weight...

ReputationRep:
    I love split squats. Think I got up to two 35s for ten.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think they're a really good exercise - I always used to like one-legged squats (pistols?) but I found that because of the position in which you hold the weights my knee would go too far forward and it would feel a bit funny going to depth. No such problem with the split squats since the back leg stabilises you. I reckon I'll go for 22.5kg DBs tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Fencing this evening - very intense! I seem to be a million miles from where I was last week and I was doing pretty well against a lot of the guys who have been training all term without me (I slaughtered the womens captain with her hardly getting a hit). It was nice to use my new sword too.

ReputationRep:
    Shrug with BB high reps 10-20, heavy as possible. Use straps to go even heavier. Try to hold it at the top for a second.

The only thing to have ever made my traps grow since I started doing them regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Shrug with BB high reps 10-20, heavy as possible. Use straps to go even heavier. Try to hold it at the top for a second.

The only thing to have ever made my traps grow since I started doing them regularly.
    I was thinking I'd probably go with a barbell next time but my issue is that I don't know exactly what constitutes a shrug - how high do you need to shrug it up? I'm sure I could just grab the heaviest bar I can hold onto and shrug it up a centimetre or two but that's not going to help.

I'm not really too fussed about my traps growing for the sake of big traps and I'm not sure how it's going to help my strength. Just felt a bit pointless yesterday but I'll see if it goes better next time.

ReputationRep:
    I love split squats. Think I got up to two 35s for ten.
    Did 4 sets of 8 with 24's today and it almost killed me, 35s for ten sounds like hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    Did 4 sets of 8 with 24's today and it almost killed me, 35s for ten sounds like hell.
    Well, you build up to it.

Was gutted I stopped, wasn't too far from 40s, was harder holding the DBs than doing the squats.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you build up to it.

Was gutted I stopped, wasn't too far from 40s, was harder holding the DBs than doing the squats.
    Well at least I've got something to aim for now

Yeah, by the final set my grip is terrible...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.