Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog Watch

ReputationRep:
    Looks like instead of my max effort set of squats tomorrow, I'll be taking part in a squat competition. I don't imagine it'll make much difference to my day since heavy squats are heavy squats whether I do a set of 3-5 or 3 singles - I'll just do the rest of my stuff after we're done since I'm in no rush. Assuming I'm good for my current max of 142.5kg, I'll have a bash at 150kg. It felt like my 142.5kg the other week wasn't the absolute limit so it'd be good to have a competetive atmosphere to try and break a big milestone.

Also, that would give me a higher squat than my deadlift, which is apparently MONSTROUSLY CONTROVERSIAL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Looks like instead of my max effort set of squats tomorrow, I'll be taking part in a squat competition. I don't imagine it'll make much difference to my day since heavy squats are heavy squats whether I do a set of 3-5 or 3 singles - I'll just do the rest of my stuff after we're done since I'm in no rush. Assuming I'm good for my current max of 142.5kg, I'll have a bash at 150kg. It felt like my 142.5kg the other week wasn't the absolute limit so it'd be good to have a competetive atmosphere to try and break a big milestone.

Also, that would give me a higher squat than my deadlift, which is apparently MONSTROUSLY CONTROVERSIAL.
    I dislike being behind you. Fancy taking five months out? :gthumb:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    I dislike being behind you. Fancy taking five months out? :gthumb:
    If your squats are without a belt I'm pretty sure you're ahead of me. I reckon I'm good for 122.5kg for 5 without a belt at best, and that's for a single set. Hoping I get a PB tomorrow because the guy who proposed tomorrow's squat contest beat me by only 1.5 wilks points on the squat at varsity (87kg, squatted 165kg)!

I've spent long enough taking breaks or not being serious about things. I don't intend to back off on the training for a good while.

ReputationRep:
    An insight into my hilarious diet - today's food:

Couscous packet, 2 pitta breads and houmous
    1/2 pint (ish?) of cranberry juice
    3 pints of milk (will have a 4th before bed)
    2 cans of coke
    Packet of mini cheddars
    Garlic bread with sundried tomatoes, aubergine and sweet potato curry with rice and a bottle of cider (at a vegetarian restaurant)
    2 cans of red bull
    A little over half of a large dominos pizza

Reason for the 2 cans of red bull and the second coke - I'm staying up until 4am working. Not that I have a deadline tomorrow or anything, just a bunch of engineer friends are working late for report hand-ins and I felt I could get some extra work done too.

ReputationRep:
    An insight into my hilarious diet - today's food:

Couscous packet, 2 pitta breads and houmous
    1/2 pint (ish?) of cranberry juice
    3 pints of milk (will have a 4th before bed)
    2 cans of coke
    Packet of mini cheddars
    Garlic bread with sundried tomatoes, aubergine and sweet potato curry with rice and a bottle of cider (at a vegetarian restaurant)
    2 cans of red bull
    A little over half of a large dominos pizza

Reason for the 2 cans of red bull and the second coke - I'm staying up until 4am working. Not that I have a deadline tomorrow or anything, just a bunch of engineer friends are working late for report hand-ins and I felt I could get some extra work done too.
    I am disapoint. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Spent 2 hours in the gym today with some of the club guys - we did a squat contest and a bench contest (which I hadn't planned on and which screwed up doing my intended stuff).

Squat
    50 x5
    80 x5
    100 x3
    Belt on:
    110 x3
    120 x1
    130 x1
    137.5 x1
    145 x0
    (being a ******* idiot, I forgot to put the belt on!)
    145 - PB
    150 x0

Bench
    20 x10
    50 x6
    67.5 x4
    To commands:
    70 x1
    75 x1
    80 x1
    85 x0

Good mornings
    20 x10
    40 x8
    50 x10

Also did some ghetto GHRs with the setup Loius put together.

Happy with the squat and this time it felt like a genuine max - it was incredibly difficult. Maybe if I hadn't stupidly forgotten the belt on the first 145kg attempt and got squashed I would have had a better shot at 150kg, but I don't think I've got it in me yet. Bench was the same old thing really - feel like I'm getting nowhere with it and to be honest I don't care that much.

ReputationRep:
    Got incredibly plastered last night and didn't eat anything today until 3.30pm when I chundered. Now after a rather tentative pitta bread with houmous and a big tasty curry I am on a mission to have consumed 3000kcal by the end of today. Brb cooking 6 rashers of bacon.

ReputationRep:
    Nommed up 6 rashers of bacon, a big soup and a big naan bread - about 1000kcal. Then I've had a pint of milk and most of a litre of grape juice, and with my curry and pitta bread earlier, plus another pint of milk before I go to bed, I should be easily past 2500kcal so hopefully that'll limit the damage of getting smashed.

Back in the gym tomorrow - since my ME lower on friday wasn't as it should have been and I'm going home on wednesday (gym access not as eay) I'm going to do my ME upper tomorrow instead of tuesday and hopefully I'll be good for a proper ME lower on tuesday, with the DE lower probably on thursday as I can approximate that with jumps/throwing a sandbag around/split squats with dumbbells at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    I am disapoint. :yep:
    I am disappoint that you can't squat your own bodyweight.

ANYWAY: ME upper today:

Flat Barbell Bench
    20 x10
    50 x6
    65 x4
    72.5 x2
    77.5 x5

Dumbbell Incline Bench - about 30 degrees
    16 x23
    16 x12
    16 x9

Barbell Rows - supersetted with dumbbell cleans
    50 x8
    62.5 x8
    62.5 x8

Seated Dumbbell Cleans
    15 x8
    15 x8

Barbell Shrugs
    62.5 x10
    80 x10
    80 x10
    80 x10

Barbell Curls
    20 x10
    30 x6
    30 x5
    + 1 hilarious cheat rep

Happy with today - I've never benched 77.5 for more than 3 before and since my best bench is 83.5 (touch and go - 82.5 to commands which I find harder) I think this is probably the best I've ever been on the bench. I was getting a pain in my right elbow early on but it was nothing serious and eased as I went through the session.

It was shocking how quickly I tired on the incline bench - I was so much stronger on the first set than I was last session (23 compared to 17) but I felt knackered for the next 2. I'm just not used to this much upper body volume in one session, hence the dumbbell cleans and rows cut a bit short.

Shrugs with the barbell were so much better than with dumbbells and I actually felt it in the traps. Will stick to barbell shrugs from now on. Curlz were a bit naff but my grip was too wide and my forearms were so pumped it actually hurt a bit (only ever had them worse from rock climbing).

ReputationRep:
    I am disappoint that you can't squat your own bodyweight.
    We shall see about that :p: How long do I have to get swole before you come back home? Theres a sandbag in the garden I could throw around a bit :yep:

ReputationRep:
    We shall see about that :p: How long do I have to get swole before you come back home? Theres a sandbag in the garden I could throw around a bit :yep:
    I'm back on Wednesday. I'm probably going to cycle to B&Q to pick up another couple of sandbags (probably one at a time, unless you want to come with) so we've got a 25kg one for lighter work and a 50kg one for running around with.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No pictures of your tasty washboard abs? I am disappoint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No pictures of your tasty washboard abs? I am disappoint.
    My tasty washboard abs are covered in a little more fat now. Hooray for actually gaining weight for once!

I was kind of tempted to post a pic up given that I get a pretty substantial pump out of upper body routines on WS4SB but there's little point since I'm not interest in my development aesthetically and I'm still gaining weight. May whack up a pic when I decide I'm the right weight as a record of the kind of shape I end up in.

ReputationRep:
    I'm back on Wednesday. I'm probably going to cycle to B&Q to pick up another couple of sandbags (probably one at a time, unless you want to come with) so we've got a 25kg one for lighter work and a 50kg one for running around with.
    Not sure exactly how well I could cycle back with a sandbag, especially seeing as how i've not ridden a bike for years now. I'm sure I could walk it though, how far away is B&Q?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure exactly how well I could cycle back with a sandbag, especially seeing as how i've not ridden a bike for years now. I'm sure I could walk it though, how far away is B&Q?
    It's at least a couple of miles. I think even I'd get a bit tired carrying 25kg for that far. If you cycle with it in a bag on your back it'll be easy.

ReputationRep:
    It's at least a couple of miles. I think even I'd get a bit tired carrying 25kg for that far. If you cycle with it in a bag on your back it'll be easy.
    Couple of miles is fine. I'll stick it in a rucksack and have a jog back with it, will just be like hill-runs without the hill

ReputationRep:
    Couple of miles is fine. I'll stick it in a rucksack and have a jog back with it, will just be like hill-runs without the hill
    Your funeral, midget man. The backpack will be heavier than you :p:

ReputationRep:
    Your funeral, midget man. The backpack will be heavier than you :p:
    I can assure you I don't weigh less than 25kg. Plus 2 miles with 25kg has got to be less than 13 miles normally, so i'll be alright with it, even if it does take a while. I'll have a go tomorrow with the sandbag we already have to see how hard it is.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't make it to the gym this afternoon on account of the climbing I did instead (well, not instead of, but my shoulders were in so much pain after climbing that I assumed that if I tried to deadlift my arms would fall of). Climbing was actually easier than it's been before as my grip was really solid, it's just my shoulders are always a bit funny for a couple of days after heavy flat benching and all of the pulling on them today made them hurt something chronic - it was a case of alternating climbing and lying on the floor in so much pain I was almost crying. For some reason I wanted to keep going with the climbing anyway, since it felt like the kind of pain which wasn't causing me lasting injuries (and the pain has virtually all gone now).

Diet has been pretty big today, so far (with rough calories where I know them):

Pint of milk (~250kcal)
    200ml apple juice (~100kcal)
    Large naan bread with tomato puree (it needed some flavour!) (~400kcal)
    Potato croquets, beans, glass of juice and lemon mousse
    Curry, rice, side and naan (~1100kcal)
    250ml orange juice (~100kcal)
    250g haribo (~850kcal - whoops!)
    3 pints of milik (~750kcal)

So without even counting a decent lunch, that's around 3500 calories, and the lunch plus the banana I'll probably eat before bed will bump that up to 4000. I know quite a lot of useless sugar was in there, but I've gone through 4000kcal without a real breakfast and it hasn't been a chore - things are looking up for my diet.

I almost forgot - I weighed myself in trainers, shorts and t-shirt when climbing at the gym today and I was 72kg exactly. That's 2kg up on where I was at the start of term in the same clothing and in a similar state (shortly after lunch) so I'm pretty happy with how I've done. Here's to two more kilograms next term!

ReputationRep:
    Moved home from university today - not a lot of sleep last night but I napped a bit in the car.

Exercise for today: 4k run. Steady for most of the first 2k, then speeding up before a minute or two break, then the same again for the next 2k. Felt pretty fun. Then I went to throw the 25kg sandbag around in the garden but I was already out of breath from running and my biceps and shoulders were sore from yesterday's climbing which really limited me. I did two sets of 10 clean and push presses but I was really feeling the soreness so I'll leave my arms to recover for a couple of days and just run/cycle/do lower body stuff until they're ok again. I should hopefully do a ME lower session tomorrow.

Now I'm at home I've got the big bag of whey I ordered so I had a shake with 50g whey and 500ml milk after my run. It was pretty tasty even without any flavouring and at 450kcal and nearly 60g of protein it's a pretty good meal. The problem is having the whey means I'm just going to end up eating a ton of carbs and fats and then chug a shake or two!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up sugar, or salt?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.