Turn on thread page Beta

Chumbaniya's New Year's Resolution Tasty Washboard Abs and Toning Blog watch

ReputationRep:
    I got forgotten

Luckily I fit your theory. I study Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    Back in the gym today. I have been doing bits and bobs over the last week but since it wasn't anything I was measuring too strictly and I didn't think anybody would be interested in posts that said simply "I went running" or "I went swimming" I'd leave it.

Anyway, ME upper today:

Bench
    20 x12
    50 x6
    60 x5
    70 x4
    75 x4

Incline DB Bench
    16 x20
    16 x15
    16 x8
    (endurance fail)

Rows
    40 x8
    60 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5

Shrugs
    60 x12
    60 x12
    60 x12

Dem curlZ
    20 x12
    30 x5

I'm pretty happy with the bench given that I haven't been in the gym for the best part of a month, and most of the other stuff felt solid. It was pretty tiring and I didn't do the superset of seated DB cleans with the rows, but given how badly I slept last night (resulting in a bit of a headache today) it's not surprising I got fatigued.

Now I'm just looking forward to seeing how my lower body strength is doing on Tuesday.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Damn I've got to get my benching sorted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Damn I've got to get my benching sorted!
    Likewise - the first time I benched 75 x5 was about a year ago! About time I stopped dicking around and made some progress.

Anyway, today was about an hour of cycling. Nothing too taxing but my fitness is definitely not top-notch. That said, the way out did feel disproportionately hard because the wind was against me and it's normally with me on that route - the way back felt reasonably good.

ReputationRep:
    New (auxiliary) aim: to be able to do a two footed jump onto the wall in my back garden. It's about 40 inches, maybe a little more, and I can get the underside of my feet onto the edge but I'm not high enough to actually balance and keep on it. Practising this should be good for making my neighbours think I'm a nutter.

ReputationRep:
    ME lower today. Very tiring - separating upper and lower sessions makes you realise just how much more lower body exercises take out of you even if you're putting the same level of effort into each.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x5 (used mixed grip from here on because the gym is still waiting for a chalk delivery)
    120 x3
    130 x2

Split Squats
    +0 x10
    +30 x8 (2x15 DBs)
    +30 x8
    +30 x8

Good Mornings

20 x10
    50 x8
    50 x8
    50 x8

Hanging Leg Raises
    x8
    x8
    x8

Good session overall. I'm glad my deadlift is still around where it was before the holiday and I expect it'll pull away from my squat a bit this term - I'll probably be doing deadlifts a bit more often than squats for my max effort exercise aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    ME lower today. Very tiring - separating upper and lower sessions makes you realise just how much more lower body exercises take out of you even if you're putting the same level of effort into each.

Deadlift
    70 x5
    100 x5 (used mixed grip from here on because the gym is still waiting for a chalk delivery)
    120 x3
    130 x2

Split Squats
    +0 x10
    +30 x8 (2x15 DBs)
    +30 x8
    +30 x8

Good Mornings

20 x10
    50 x8
    50 x8
    50 x8

Hanging Leg Raises
    x8
    x8
    x8

Good session overall. I'm glad my deadlift is still around where it was before the holiday and I expect it'll pull away from my squat a bit this term - I'll probably be doing deadlifts a bit more often than squats for my max effort exercise aswell.
    I completely agree with you on the difference between lower and upper lol.

Good lifting, although cunning notation of DBs on the split squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Burningnun (bio-chemistry)?

Even in this section, I think most of us regs are science/technology guys.

Me - engineering.
    Chumb - maths
    Nun - bio-chemistry
    SMed - medicine
    redbuthotter - physics
    Powerlifter - pilot or something
    Miso - medicine
    rummang - something with technology
    Stamper - petroleum geology
    ch0c - vet

That's all I can think of off of my head
    I'm a computer scientist. I'm by no means that great though. :p:

All the people I know that lift are scientists bar one too, mind you he's prolly strongest and going to be doing Econ & Sociology... Maybe he'll stop at uni :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    Good lifting, although cunning notation of DBs on the split squats
    I don't think it's that cunning since it's not a dumbbell exercise where I'm lifting one with each arm - each of the legs is lifting both. They were totally knackering though. My quads got totally fried and then the good mornings fried my hamstrings so my legs were like jelly when I was walking home.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that cunning since it's not a dumbbell exercise where I'm lifting one with each arm - each of the legs is lifting both. They were totally knackering though. My quads got totally fried and then the good mornings fried my hamstrings so my legs were like jelly when I was walking home.
    lol, been thinking about what i typed and i dont really know why i said it.

I agree completely, db split squats are the hardest lift that ive used in WS4SB so far. Although i suppose that it doesnt help that i cycled to and from the gym [presumably the same muscles?].

Do you still cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gone Revising)
    Do you still cycle?
    Not as much as I used to, but I'm getting back into it. Obviously I've been doing a lot of everyday cycling (a lot of which is actually quite tiring because I can't bear going slow) but I've been doing a couple of more 'serious' rides recently ('serious' being defined by whenever I wear my padded shorts :p:).

And yes, cycling is going to hammer your quads so I wouldn't want to cycle with effort before doing split squats.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was having a day off today, then I realised that I should probably have a go at a repetition upper day. Pile of ****, if you ask me.

DB Bench
    16 x13
    22.5 x15
    22.5 x12
    22.5 x8

Chin-ups superset with seated DB cleans
    x6
    x6

Seated DB Cleans
    15 x8
    - sloppy, dropped the weight
    12 x8

DB Military Press
    15 x10
    15 x8
    15 x4
    - my triceps are evidently made of cotton wool

Barbell Shrugs
    70 x10
    70 x10
    70 x10

Dem Curlz
    25 x10
    25 x10
    25 x7

Didn't do grip work as my forearms were already feeling horribly tight.

Awful session. My upper body endurance is terrible because unlike the lower body where I do enough other stuff to balance out training low reps all the time, my upper body has only ever done low rep training. Furthermore, I hate upper body high rep work because it means you spend your whole time in the gym pissing around with tiny little weights and even though you get a really unpleasant pump and find it hard at the time, you don't feel like you've really done any work. Plus I still felt sore from Saturday, which is pretty understandable since it was my first session in nearly a month.

On the plus side, I suppose, I did look pretty swole afterwards. Forearms and shoulders looking particularly good which is nice when it's coming up to the time we can start using the pool in college.

ReputationRep:
    There's only one way to make it feel like more work:

LIFT MOAR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    LIFT MOAR
    See above comments about my triceps being made of cotton wool.

I'll just suck it up and do the repetition sessions for a couple of weeks with the same sort of mini-weights - at least the ME upper sessions are feeling good. If the reps sessions don't get substantially better after a few weeks, I'll change them to be more friendly to my sort of training.

ReputationRep:
    Damn. I can understand the bit of chest and trap DOMS I have from yesterday, but far worse than both of those is the hamstring DOMS from Monday. My god they feel tight. I think it's because when I'd done good mornings before I'd bent my legs a little whereas on monday my legs were straight so it properly caned my hamstrings, in addition to the deadlifting which I now do with better form so it was heavier on the glutes and hamstrings and instead of crippling the lower back.

ReputationRep:
    In theory, dynamic lower today, though I mixed it round a bit. I didn't want to do the jumps because even after a short run yesterday my shins were giving me a lot of trouble and I didn't want to do anything involving impact on my legs. So I did some front squats instead.

Front Squats
    20 x5
    50 x3
    70 x3
    80 x2
    80 x2
    85 x2
    85 x2
    85 x2

Step-ups
    (holding DBs)
    2x10 x5
    2x22.5 x6
    2x22.5 x6
    2x22.5 x6

Romanian Deadlifts

50 x8
    70 x8
    70 x8
    70 x8

Hanging Leg Raises
    x8
    x8
    x8

Reasonably happy with the session overall. The front squats were pretty straightforward, though after not doing them for a while I had to be careful to get the bar sitting properly on my shoulders. They were all deep and pretty fast - I reckon I could easily get 100kg for a single and probably could have done all my sets at 90kg today but I wanted to be conservative since I hadn't done them in a while. Step-ups were good, though holding the dumbbells did take quite a bit out of my forearms. It was the first time I'd done RDLs today and I quite liked them. At first it was a bit funny for my back but when I got into it they were very quick and felt like they should be useful.

I'm looking forward to benching tomorrow, as I'll be going for 80kg x5. I'm confident I'll get at least 3, I expect 4 and I see no reason why I shouldn't get 5, but we'll see.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Sounds like a good session there mate. Better than mine.

ReputationRep:
    NOMed up a big box of KFC this evening, followed by a load of Haribo. Not so much a dirty bulk as a dirty maintain-but-try-to-get-a-little-bit-heavier-gradually.

ReputationRep:
    NOMed up a big box of KFC this evening, followed by a load of Haribo. Not so much a dirty bulk as a dirty maintain-but-try-to-get-a-little-bit-heavier-gradually.
    Damn thats made me hungry. I'll have to go and drink some MILK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Damn thats made me hungry. I'll have to go and drink some MILK!
    Man that's a good idea. I've been drinking less milk lately because I've been having it mainly in my shakes and not on its own, but now I can drink a pint of milk and have some tortellini and it should make up for my lunch and breakfast being rolled into one because I was up late today. The shakes are 550kcal each but I still feel like I'm definitely under budget on calories today.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 7, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.