Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I think I may have done something completely stupid. Before going to uni I spent a couple of years travelling about and worked in a few different jobs, both here and whilst abroad. All pretty low skilled and generally through agencies. I didn't keep records of the dates I worked in these jobs, don't have payslips, and don't have the contact details of the agencies I worked for when abroad. So, stupidly, I guessed the dates when filling in my TC/VS applications. They are only likely to be out by a few weeks at most, but apart from the last job I had (in the UK), none of them will be exactly right. Like an idiot, I thought that firms would only require references (from my most recent job and uni) and would not require a full background check, especially as the jobs concerned were completely irrelevant to law and were not in the UK. However a thread on the IB section of this forum indicates that employers in that sector call up every previous employer for basic details.

So, a couple of questions. First, do law firms also do this? In the case of the foreign agencies, this would require a bit of time/effort on their part as their details don't seem to be on google. Secondly, if they do, what impact will this have on my chances of employment? And finally, if they do check and it is likely to be cause to retract a TC offer, what can I do about it now? Should I contact the firms straight away to let them know the dates are wrong, or wait and see if I get an offer first and then talk to GR about it? It's so frustrating to think I might have messed up my chances over something as utterly stupid as this

ReputationRep:
    No one checks every single past employment, it's a waste of time and effort. Plus, you give them permission to contact referees, they can't just randomly choose to contact other people without your permission...the likelihood of them getting a response is slim, even if they're in the same country, let alone if they're abroad.

Don't worry about it...unless you have blatantly lied and a quick check will show them that you've lied, then there's not a problem. And if you have lied, don't do it again in future applications. If necessary state that the dates are approximate as you were travelling and didn't keep exact records.

ReputationRep:
    You could perhaps mention that they are approximate dates but generally in the right ball court.

ReputationRep:
    I start a TC with a big city firm this Sept and we recently got an email requesting our permission for them to use a security firm to carry out proper background checks on us to clarify grades, previous work, criminal records etc.

But, even if anomalies came up in your case, I doubt it would be a major issue if you're not being dishonest knowingly.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies everyone, and apologies for the slightly melodramatic first post! I'd just received a TC invite from one of my favourite firms, then saw that thread about background checks in the IB forum and ended up a bit panicked. I'm hoping it'll be all right, it's not like I lied about grades or claimed to have had a job that I didn't. Fingers crossed any firm that does offer me a TC will be willing to forgive a bit of idiocy on my part. Thanks again!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.