Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I really want to go to uni (i'm in year 12 at the moment), and my friends are all doing it so it seems the natural thing to do.however, i sometimes find it quite tough making friends by myself sometimes because i'm very insecure about myself.

I think that uni will either make or break me. I'll either loose all my inhibitions, become confident and everything. or i could just be so scared and not be able to make friends easily at all.

At uni how easy roughly is it to make friends?

That sounds so pathetic i know.. but you know what i mean.

Is it easy to become isolated?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Personally as someone who used to be reasonably shy I fell on my feet. I have many people I would call good friends and then many more on that that I know/would be happy to go out with.

Maybe I was lucky, I don't know even though I am at the sterotypically most nerdy uni I have no problems (almost everyone here is to some degree)

Also not just because I am a medic who are known from friendliness as I tend to prefer non medics.

ReputationRep:
    If you're shy at uni it shouldn't be a problem because people who aren't shy will be making friends with you as long as you put yourself available for them. Prop your door open of hang around in the kitchen or whatever. You'll soon find that it's not so bad!

ReputationRep:
    Two words: Fresher's Week.

From what I've heard, you'll make a lot of friends there. Everyone is is the same position as everyone else, after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_x)
    Two words: Fresher's Week.

From what I've heard, you'll make a lot of friends there. Everyone is is the same position as everyone else, after all
    Personally parts of that 2 weeks were the most depressing of my life.
    Having said that I am really good friends with the people who had to bring me up on the first night having passed out. That's one way to break the ice (I don't recommend it though it is painful and give to a reputation that (hopefully) I don't deserve)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Having said that I am really good friends with the people who had to bring me up on the first night having passed out. That's one way to break the ice (I don't recommend it though it is painful and give to a reputation that (hopefully) I don't deserve)
    This bit made me LOL.
    But I suppose not everyone would be suited to fresher's week, guess it's like being thrown in at the deep end. I wouldn't know, I go this September :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Do you mind me asking what happened?

I'm just a bit nosy as I'm hopefully going to Imperial in October and wondered alot about freshers week and if its as good as it is at other unis.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't make any friends in freshers week, though i did die a little inside.

got to know quite a few good people once it all got started though and I started going to things I wanted to rather than **** clubs advertised as "Over 4000 students in one night", "D-rate Hollyoaks celebrity appearance tonight" and "STI Get infected".

ReputationRep:
    Look at it this way. It's very easy to end up lonely and isolated if you don't make the effort, but very easy to become surrounded by friends if you do.

I went to university an extremely shy individual, having had no friends prior. I ended up one of the most well-known faces, with a huge number of acquaintances and an excellent group of close friends. Just don't lock yourself away, hoping for the best, and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystallinegreen)
    Hey

I really want to go to uni (i'm in year 12 at the moment), and my friends are all doing it so it seems the natural thing to do.however, i sometimes find it quite tough making friends by myself sometimes because i'm very insecure about myself.

I think that uni will either make or break me. I'll either loose all my inhibitions, become confident and everything. or i could just be so scared and not be able to make friends easily at all.

At uni how easy roughly is it to make friends?

That sounds so pathetic i know.. but you know what i mean.

Is it easy to become isolated?

Thanks
    I understand Be positive though because you may find that you will really suprise yourself. I am horrifically shy in new situtations, always have been and I'm 21 now. In my opinion, being shy and being confident is two entirely different things. I'm going to uni this year too and I'm absolutely terrified, mostly of freshers week and the fact that I probably have different priorities to others, that I don't drink etc etc. The thought of just walking around on my own, sitting in my room makes me feel sick to my stomach.

However, I've already done the whole moving away stuff and each time I completely shocked myself at how different I felt and how much I came out of my shell and I know it will be the same this year. Hopefully it will be the same for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_x)
    This bit made me LOL.
    But I suppose not everyone would be suited to fresher's week, guess it's like being thrown in at the deep end. I wouldn't know, I go this September :woo:
    I am glad. Trusting youself to people you have known for lass than 12 hours does wonders for bonding :p:

I agree, depends on who you are.

(Original post by aeonflux)
    Do you mind me asking what happened?

I'm just a bit nosy as I'm hopefully going to Imperial in October and wondered alot about freshers week and if its as good as it is at other unis.
    To me? if I give much more detail almost will give me away :p:
    Put it this way, drinking vast quantities of neat spirits is a VERY BAD idea and not something you should ignore 'because its freshers'

As for the fortnight as a medic I spent most of it with them as they had some absolutely fantastic events (one I spent totally sober and was one of the best nights!) Though personally first week I was not sensible and didn't stop. It had its highs and lows but many days were good fun.

As for normal non medic/bio IC freshers I went to a few events - mingle first night I don't remember and the one the next day (I went to both though cunning) was amazing. IC ball pretty rubbish tbh for its cost ICSM one was FAR better.
    Other events in the first week were from what I have heard pretty poor (though this could be because just personality of friends) and you are probably better going out with people you meet at the mingle to a club if you want that sort of thing, might be better next year who knows.

ReputationRep:
    It's really easy to meet people at uni.
    You meet loooaaads of people in freshers week, but you don't necessarily stay in contact with all of those.
    Stay in halls and then it's much easier to make friends... there's people in the same flat as you, and then when you see the people who live next door / below / above you just invite them out or round your flat.. that's how I made friends.
    Then there's the people on your course.
    I'm not exactly the most confident person I know. You just need to make the effort

ReputationRep:
    From my own experience, freshers week was horrible, I didn't even meet the people who lived on my floor until about 6 days in, but since then I've met loads of great people, from my halls and my course. Even if it takes a few weeks to find your feet, no one is without friends, it's impossible to not find people you get on with.

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, you've made me feel quite abit more confident about going now!

now just to decide what course i actually want to do.. haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crystallinegreen)
    thanks guys, you've made me feel quite abit more confident about going now!

now just to decide what course i actually want to do.. haha
    glad we could help

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.