Turn on thread page Beta

Views on Quinn-Direct Car Insurance? watch

ReputationRep:
    I was with Quinn for my first year in 2006 after I had passed my test. They quoted me £1480 TPFT, the next lowest was £2.2k.

After my frist years no claims basicaly halved to £800 on my second year. After that I changed, as they wanted £800 again on renewal, despite being a year older and with an extra years NCB.

They are good for the first couple of years to build your NCB but after that their prices become less than competative.

Also, it is very easy to write-off a car. Don't think you need a big smash. 2 Broken bumper brackets is enough on lower end/older cars for insurers to decide on that course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    You wouldn't trust Direct Line with anything more than a naff car in fairness.

terrible insurers
    I was with DL for 4 years and they were very good. Didnt claim, but they are reputed as very quick and easy to deal with if you have a bump. Also there is no excess and retaining of your NCB if your involved with someone uninsured.

As for Quinn, brother had a claim off them and it got messy. The seemed pretty crap at trying to get the other party to pay for any of it. Admittedly my brother was an idiot for claiming for a £400 repair, but you live and learn....

ReputationRep:
    So, you pay extra after passing your test? Is this the norm?

Quinn didn't do such a thing in Ireland, it went the other way. Well, for me, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I pay £504 with Quinn on my provisional fully comp, including windscreen cover and legal protection - thats for me and mum and dad insured.

it'll go up to £1022 when i pass but thats still mighty cheap.

Bearing in mind Quinn policies include breakdown cover

they're also willing to insure other people - my mates borrowing my car for a week and it's only going to cost £45 to get him added to the policy for a week.

no complaints here

That's not at all far off what my parents are paying to insure my 17 year old brother! That's not cheap. What's the car? Do you live in a 'high risk' area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

Quinn didn't do such a thing in Ireland, it went the other way. Well, for me, anyway.
    Yes this is quite normal. You see, you are a higher risk when out on the road by yourself.

Also my experiences with Quinn have been good. (Well I say mine, I mean my girlfriends.)

She had an accident about 5 months after passing her test. Not her fault. The car was recovered that evening and replaced with a brand new courtesy car which she got to keep until the insurance payment was made.

Not alot of insurance companies at their prices do this sort of service to be honest. It seems to be a good insurance company for those who are starting out and wanting to build up their NCB.

ReputationRep:
    Two of my mates were on it and crashed their cars, and Quinn were really good to them giving them nice courtesy cars while they were getting fixed.

I would recommend them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lapis lazuli)
    Wrong, you dont have to use their repair centres.

Edit: Straight from the horses mouth.
    http://www.directline.com/motor/claim01.htm#q4
    well you certainly didn't used to be able to. This is about 4 or 5 years ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    That's not at all far off what my parents are paying to insure my 17 year old brother! That's not cheap. What's the car? Do you live in a 'high risk' area?

thats on my own policy though not with me as a named driver.

It's a 1.4S 16V engine with alloys and all that jazz though <3 veedub

ReputationRep:
    Quinn were awful when my friend tried to make a claim.

I pay £300 on my provisional with LV. I think I'm winning on the cheapest front

ReputationRep:
    thats on my own policy though not with me as a named driver.

It's a 1.4S 16V engine with alloys and all that jazz though <3 veedub

Yeah, I was taking it to be your own policy. Still not cheap, although I suppose alloys etc will always add on and it does depend upon where you live :s

ReputationRep:
    So, you pay more once you've passed your test and you have to pay extra for alloys? Deary me, never had to pay any extra for that kind of thing in Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlski)
    Yeah, I was taking it to be your own policy. Still not cheap, although I suppose alloys etc will always add on and it does depend upon where you live :s
    the cheapest quote i can get for when i pass it about £700 - but this doesn't include the windscreen cover, legal cover and breakdown cover I get with Quinn and the excess is about 700 whereas mine is only £250

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing maybe one out of all the people that have written here live in London lol... Got a friend who passed on the exact same day as me (nov 2, 2009) insure himself on a renault clio 1.2 and he ended forking out 2.8k

Should be either a VW Golf / MG ZR / VW Polo, have access to them all :P havnt decided yet tho!

So what classifys someone a "main" driver? If I'm only driving on the weekend am I the Main Driver or am I fine being a Named Driver?

ReputationRep:
    My car is 2.1k with direct line and with quinn is was going to be 2.8k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War)
    I'm guessing maybe one out of all the people that have written here live in London lol... Got a friend who passed on the exact same day as me (nov 2, 2009) insure himself on a renault clio 1.2 and he ended forking out 2.8k

Should be either a VW Golf / MG ZR / VW Polo, have access to them all :P havnt decided yet tho!

So what classifys someone a "main" driver? If I'm only driving on the weekend am I the Main Driver or am I fine being a Named Driver?
    whoever drives the most miles in the car is the main driver

ReputationRep:
    one of the few companies that used to offer a bit of a discount for named drivers, and on my first car were cheapest by £700!

ReputationRep:
    I was with them for provisional insurance, was £65 a month, when I passed I rang them up, found out I was actually only third party and not fully comp as they had told me, and they just wouldn't listen to what I was saying. I told them I'd passed my test and asked how much extra would it be, to which they said they'd take an additional £65 a month from my account (so £130 a month) for third party only and send me out the details. So I said that it was too much for third party only and so I wanted to cancel it and they would not accept it, just kept saying they would take extra money each month. In the end I gave the phone to my mum who practically shouted at them to cancel the policy or we'd be logging a complaint and eventually they did.

I'm now with Direct Line, £1200 fully comp with breakdown cover, windscreen cover, etching on the windows and other insurance policies at a discounted rate. Whereas Quinn wanted ~£1500 for third party only and nothing else.

Even my bank when I rang to cancel the direct debit asked me if I'd cancelled it with them first as they've heard constant bad reviews and cancellation fee is ridiculous. Fortunately, they actually gave me about £90 bad that I'd overpaid!

ReputationRep:
    all modifications from maufacturer specification have to be declared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)

Yes once you pass your test expect to pay a lot more. The thing is when you are learning you will always be with an experienced driver who will be able to help you and therefore you are less likely to crash. Once you have passed your test you drive by yourself will no help and so therefore you have more of a chance of crashing your car.

It really annoys me when people say 'oh my insurance increased by loads when i passed, my insurance company is ****' people lack so much general knowledge and are quick to mouth off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GurlGamer)
    Yes once you pass your test expect to pay a lot more. The thing is when you are learning you will always be with an experienced driver who will be able to help you and therefore you are less likely to crash. Once you have passed your test you drive by yourself will no help and so therefore you have more of a chance of crashing your car.

It really annoys me when people say 'oh my insurance increased by loads when i passed, my insurance company is ****' people lack so much general knowledge and are quick to mouth off.
    A bit late, someone already answered my query. I don't believe that to be the case wrt crashing but I'm not getting into an argument about it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.