Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,

I haven't seen much of PhD applications in languages or Literature being discussed in existing threads, but I can't possibly be the only one... or can I?
    Feel free to speak about your thesis topics, areas of interest, universities applied to, etc ...

I'm applying to English & French at Oxford, King's and UCL (haven't finished the last two) and working on Samuel Beckett...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sooz2471)
    Hello people,

I haven't seen much of PhD applications in languages or Literature being discussed in existing threads, but I can't possibly be the only one... or can I?
    Feel free to speak about your thesis topics, areas of interest, universities applied to, etc ...

I'm applying to English & French at Oxford, King's and UCL (haven't finished the last two) and working on Samuel Beckett...
    At King's, are you applying to English and French deps separately or to Comp Lit?

ReputationRep:
    Separately in each case. You?...

ReputationRep:
    Separately in each case. You?...
    You could look into Comp Lit PhD there, then you could work with supervisors from both French and English deps.

Do you know who would potentially supervise you at King's?
    I am doing my MA here now so can be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    I know, I thought about it but I'm already submitting 6 applications - not to mention the 300 euros to have my transcripts translated - and I couldn't get round to spending more than that...
    But thanks, no, as for now I don't know anyone at King's, of course I could sneak someone's name in my research proposal and I think I'll do it but that's a bit superficial.
    Why, do you have any specific supervisor in mind for me?

ReputationRep:
    I know, I thought about it but I'm already submitting 6 applications - not to mention the 300 euros to have my transcripts translated - and I couldn't get round to spending more than that...
    But thanks, no, as for now I don't know anyone at King's, of course I could sneak someone's name in my research proposal and I think I'll do it but that's a bit superficial.
    Why, do you have any specific supervisor in mind for me?
    If I were you I would have a good look at staff research interests and contact them before you apply. It's not just that it will give you an idea of who you can potentially work with. For King's, if you are applying for funding, they consider previous discussion of your project with a potential supervisor as essential and will take it into consideration when assesing your application.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for the masters in modern languages, with the intention of doing French and Russian special subjects; comparative literature programme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.