Turn on thread page Beta

Can somone please clear this up for me? (regarding French GCSE) watch

ReputationRep:
    My brother is doing French for GCSE (AQA i think) at the moment. He's in Year 10, not doing it a year early, and claims he has a real speaking exam this week. Although this suprised me, as surely you're only going to improve over the two years, i was just about willing to accept it. Except i just found out that he's only got about 6/7 questions all on one topic, of which he says all will be asked, and all in English with him replying in french. wtf? i remember my speaking exam and it was not in english! please someone tell me this is not a real exam...

ReputationRep:
    Mine was in yr11, and nothing like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellynubbin)
    Mine was in yr11, and nothing like that!
    same. i keep on telling him that it will just be a thing for the teacher to check up on them but he's convinced its his real speaking

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's the real exam. That was nothing like my French speaking.

Perhaps his teacher has told the class it's a "real" exam so that they all do some revision and not just sit back and take it easy; whereas she/he probably just wants to check how they're all doing. :p:

Edit: Sorry, I got muddled up, I didn't do AQA for GCSE, I did edexcel! I do AQA for A-level! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edmhaslam)
    My brother is doing French for GCSE (AQA i think) at the moment. He's in Year 10, not doing it a year early, and claims he has a real speaking exam this week. Although this suprised me, as surely you're only going to improve over the two years, i was just about willing to accept it. Except i just found out that he's only got about 6/7 questions all on one topic, of which he says all will be asked, and all in English with him replying in french. wtf? i remember my speaking exam and it was not in english! please someone tell me this is not a real exam...
    I'm in year 10, doing French GCSE (only its edexcel) and you can do that. It's all modular now, and you take 3 to 5 speaking exams and then your best three marks are picked. The school can choose which modules to asses on, ie my schools doing 2 summer/spring and 2 winter next year, but you could do them all this year etc. I know you can improve over 2 years, but that's the way it is so there is less pressure. They've changed the format of writing cw though, its not controlled like a test which prep before. It's on one topic because its modular.

That said, I'm surprised the questions are in English - mine are deffo in French and I thought you didn't have questions before, not sure. Maybe its an AQA/Edexcel thing, though not sure I'm not on AQA actually!

Hope I've helped...

What was it like when you did french?

Shanti

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    What was it like when you did french?
    i did french and german (both AQA). We had a speaking exam a month or so before all the written exams. We had about 6 topics of speaking questions (3 were chosen and you did as much as you could in a time limit), role play and a short presentation on a topic of your choice. All one exam at the end of the year. All questions in French/German.

ReputationRep:
    I had a mock oral in my german last week. Hes speaking utter crap.

ReputationRep:
    not it isn't speaking questions normally have between 7-10 topics with between 15-30 questions on each, none asked in english

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSE in 2005. The speaking test was at the end of year 11, but there was a module exam as an alternative. New GCSE specifications were introduced for first teaching in September 2009. All GCSE French specifications have now been divided in to modules. The speaking test is now assessed by the teacher, not an external examiner.

For more information, you may find the following useful:

http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/newgcses/...?id=11&prev=11

ReputationRep:
    turns out they were real, although the questions were in french! this is making a mockery of my French and German GCSE - that speaking consists of just 5 pre-prepared questions in order

ReputationRep:
    this is making a mockery of my French and German GCSE - that speaking consists of just 5 pre-prepared questions in order
    I remember when I had to do a presentation, have a conversation and respond to a role-play for the Speaking test in French GCSE. For science, the exams took the form of written papers, but I have some extended family members who took multiple choice papers. How times have changed!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplebanana)
    I remember when I had to do a presentation, have a conversation and respond to a role-play for the Speaking test in French GCSE. For science, the exams took the form of written papers, but I have some extended family members who took multiple choice papers. How times have changed!
    thats how my speaking was.

in science i did do multiple choice exams for the first module - it was either one written or two multiple choice exams. ironically i did better on the written exams for modules 2 and 3 (where there was no choice) than in the first exams!

ReputationRep:
    it was either one written or two multiple choice exams. ironically i did better on the written exams for modules 2 and 3 (where there was no choice) than in the first exams!
    Yes, although the multiple-choice tests are not as new as some news reports seem to suggest because these were available when I took my GCSEs, but they were in the modular specification. I think the written exams provide more effective preparation for A-level science.

ReputationRep:
    He's in year 10? It's probably those new specs.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Im in year 10 and i do think your brother/sister is probably having his/her real oral exam. My french teacher also said that we were going to have our orals in January, we were going to be given 7 questions 6 of which we knew the questions and 1 random question. My older sister also found this strange but i'm pretty sure it's true! By the way, mine got delayed due to work experience so i should be having it sometime soon! I wish your younger sibling the best of luck in his/her exam!

Ciao (:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it is a real exam. My German teacher decribed that as the new specification the other day. I prefer it how it is for me though, because you actually have to be able to have a proper conversation in the language and can't just rely on learning set answers.

ReputationRep:
    Pleasseee Helpppp I Need Help On What Topic To Choose For My 1 Minute Presentation!!!!!!! And I Need Advice On How To Remember All Those Answers To The Topic Questions Omg!!! And My Exams Next Week!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I did music. Types of music i liked, instruments i play, bands i like. CDs etc I've bought (past tense). Gigs i'm going to (future). Sorted. Just make it up - doesnt have to be factually correct.

as for remembering the answers, for german i just wrote them out and repeated them over and over again. For french i couldnt be bothered so i just made it up as i went along. Upon reflection i probably should have done it the other way round. I still remembered quite alot of my french though just from when i wrote it.

Good Luck!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 14, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.