Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm in Year 11 and I have to decide on my Sixth Form options by next Friday, but I just need some things cleared up basically for one of the subjects I wish to take. I need descriptions for Applied ICT and Computing (sorry if this should go on that board) - I am really confused as I've been asking many different people about what each subject really is about, and I've been getting really different answers from everyone! I just need a definite and clear description about what kind of things you get to do in each subject.

I've asked a couple of teachers (stupidly none of the ones who work in IT) but they're not entirely sure either, and I'm asking here now as I want to get my form filled in tonight to be handed in tomorrow...

Quite literally in the same position as you.

Heres what Computing is basically:
    Coding & programming
    looking at hardware & motherboards and evaluating them
    systems of the computer

ICT is:
    working with databases
    working with projects

Basically, if you want a more respected last subject (looking to drop at the end of year 12) and your interested in how to program and learn the essential and more intellectual level of computers and how they work- computing is best.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Computing is generally more respected I beleive. But it's obviously up to you guys.

Thanks a lot to both of you, that's helped. Applied ICT is what I would go for then...I don't think I would personally suit computing much.
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.