Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm new to this site !

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on my a level choices.

I dont have any idea of what career I want to go into, but I have managed to narrow my choices down to 6:

English Language (definately doing)
    Business Studies
    Economics
    Psychology
    German
    IT

If anyone has any information or experience of any of these courses id appreciate your help, its soo hard to decide!!

Thank you for your help

ReputationRep:
    Definately German, languages are very well respected.

I'd choose Economics over Business Studies. I believe it's a bit more respected.

Then probably Psychology to balance things out again.

Eng Lang, German, Psychology and Economics. Yes, sounds good to me

Main thing is do what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I can only give info on English Language as that's the only one out of that list that I do. Hope this is ok.

Eng Lang is great, I love it! Don't expect it to be like the GCSE "English Language" because it's completely different. Every 6th form works differently, but for the first term at my place we just studied grammar. I won't deny it, it was very boring and monotonous; but it's essential for the coursework (which is done before and during Christmas). Now we've moved on to studying conversations and child language acquisition (how children learn language etc.) which I'm enjoying. The lessons are quite varied, but be prepared to take lots of notes. I've filled a whole folder in three months! But that said, I'd certainly reccomend it.

That's all I can think of to say at the moment, but if you have any questions, please feel free to ask them or PM me. This may help you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...glish_Language

Good Luck!!

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend on what you want to do, and what you enjoy. Although economics is more respected than Business Studies (and I would have taken it given the opportunity) if you have a vaguely business like bone in your body you will find the course easy going, and you can work towards top marks. Psychology requires you to learn a lot more, and there is less application of theory, so if you have the willpower to sit and revise, you could achieve good marks with this subject too. I was told by my college that in order to score highly and enjoy a language at AS/A level, you should get a least an A at GCSE. So, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    English Lang. plus German, Economics and Psychology. IT and Business Studies are considered by some universities to be "soft"- something to generally avoid. German and Economics are particularly respected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redyellowblack)
    Hey guys, I'm new to this site !

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on my a level choices.

I dont have any idea of what career I want to go into, but I have managed to narrow my choices down to 6:

English Language (definitely doing)
    Business Studies
    Economics
    Psychology
    German
    IT

If anyone has any information or experience of any of these courses id appreciate your help, its soo hard to decide!!

Thank you for your help
    Those subjects sound good to me. I have no ideas which course you can apply for uni though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    definitely German, languages are very well respected.

I'd choose Economics over Business Studies. I believe it's a bit more respected.

Agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    definitely German, languages are very well respected.

this is a good idea!:yep:

good luck

ReputationRep:
    German is fun, I'm currently doing the A-level. However, only do it if you're definitely willing to stick at it, if you fall behind it's hard to catch up.
    I'm also doing English Language, the coursework was brilliant.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.