Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there supposedly some look for someone who is bulimic? I went to A&E two days ago to get my arm seen to where I cut myself, and told them that I was bulimic - the Indian doctor said that I didn't "look" bulimic and basically that what I was doing was silly.

Nobody understands this!

Well unlike those who are anorexic, those who are bulimic can fall into the normal weight range for their age and height so it can often be very difficult to tell anything is wrong. The knowledge I have of bulimia is that often suffers can also yoyo between high and low weights depending on where the binge/purge cycle is at.

There are a couple of supposedly visible tell tale bulimic signs. Swollen cheeks or jaw area, scrapes on the knuckles, teeth that look clear and broken blood vessels in the eyes. Any other adverse effects on the health would probably be confirmed through testing. I have suffered with anorexia for 6 years but I do purge too. On the outside I look very thin but that's it, I obviously don't look fine but at the same time I don't look really unwell. on the inside however it has been a very different story.

If you are suffering from any sort of eating problem perhaps A&E isn't the best place for help unless you are in a very unstable state and need medical attention quickly for example due to severe dehydration. It might be better to ask for a longer GP appointment and discuss the whole extent of the issues you have there. Asking for an outpatient referral for some counselling or expert treatment might be a really good idea too. Before I started in therapy I used to think 'oh what will anyone else know' especially if they haven't experienced any sort of eating problem but it's been really helpful seeing someone who takes a completely outside view and challenges my own perception of myself.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    She probably just meant that you weren't showing signs like swollen cheeks, rotting teeth etc. A lot of bulimics don't show obvious symptoms, even at my worst with it, when I felt ill all the time from it, I looked fine, and was still overweight.

ReputationRep:
    John prescott was bulimic but appears to be overweight so very hard to tell

Like someone else said there are other signs that can tell you ie like your skin, hair and eyes etc...

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like he doesn't really have very much knowledge of eating disorders, doctors often don't because it isn't necessarily their area of expertise.
    Perhaps he was referring to the physical symptoms or perhaps conflated bulimia with anorexia.

Either way, don't let this put you off! See your gp and hopefully you'll be able to get some help from somebody more qualified in this area. Or perhaps look into any eating disorder groups that meet where you live? Take care.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, doctors are stupid.

ReputationRep:
    My doctor once 'accused' me of being bulimic because I was ILL and had trouble keeping my food down. The truth was I guess maybe she did see something that gave me away.. I was throwing up my food on purpose at the time nearly every week but since I actually got ill I hadn't... Maybe there is a 'look', one that doctors are trained to spot or something. I don't know, I was a medium weight medium height imo so I don't know how she knew.

Wow, that doctor just sounds like a douche. You can certainly 'look' bulimic but if you don't, well, that doesn't mean that you're not bulimic or that you shouldn't be taken seriously.

ReputationRep:
    bit of a dumb comment tbh, there isn't a specific 'bulimic' look.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.