Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else taking this tomorrow?

It's my last exam

ReputationRep:
    yep, i am

edit: sorry to hijack but would u be so kind as to take a look at this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1160348

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_91)
    yep, i am

edit: sorry to hijack but would u be so kind as to take a look at this?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1160348

thanks
    Can't be bothered to mess around with the numbers but I've shown how i'd approach it. (I would have thought they would guide you through these types of questions anyway like in Jan09 and some other paper where they aksed for the shortest distance)

ReputationRep:
    I've got this exam tomorrow aswell, the past papers are going pretty well after pretty much doing every question in the textbook over the space of a few days. If there's a question on finding the shortest distance between a 3 points on a plane and a single point i'm screwed though.

ReputationRep:
    How did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi I had this too. Found it ok. But I couldn't do the 8 marker on the simultaneous equations one. I realised at the end of the exam how to do it but too late then :p:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like it as much as the past papers. Think it went ok though- for the eigenvectors at the end I did it all again instead of realising the determinant thing in part (a) was to help you (d'oh). I got 10 and 11 though.

Yeah for the simultaneous equations for -1 it was inconsistant I think (there was a contradiction)? and 5/3 consistent (as involving all the equations it there was no contradiction..?)

ReputationRep:
    Why is FP so much easier than core!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palabras)
    I didn't like it as much as the past papers. Think it went ok though- for the eigenvectors at the end I did it all again instead of realising the determinant thing in part (a) was to help you (d'oh). I got 10 and 11 though.

Yeah for the simultaneous equations for -1 it was inconsistant I think (there was a contradiction)? and 5/3 consistent (as involving all the equations it there was no contradiction..?)
    Same (in terms of the answers and past papers). There were quite a few unusual questions in this that haven't come up at all in any of the past papers i looked at.

So nearly messed up one of the easier questions though when it said matrix C is transformation B followed by A. I wrote AB but did BA and ended up with this really weird matrix that i had no clue how to describe geometrically. Got the correct shear in the end though.

I probably lost a mark or two on some of the 1 or 2 mark questions but pretty sure i got the rest right after talking it over with my mates .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megeggan)
    Why is FP so much easier than core!
    There is no way in hell that Core 1 or 2 are harder than FP1 or FP2. Saying that i did do better in FP1 than i did in core 1 but i actually had to revise properly for the former rather than just having to turn up to the exam to do well like you do in core 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fab cesc)
    There is no way in hell that Core 1 or 2 are harder than FP1 or FP2. Saying that i did do better in FP1 than i did in core 1 but i actually had to revise properly for the former rather than just having to turn up to the exam to do well like you do in core 1 and 2.
    Hmm... I can do no work whatsoever and still do up to FP4 without any real work, but core up to 3 takes a lot! No idea why though, unless it's because FP is a tad more interesting - just can't do general maths too well :/ hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palabras)
    I didn't like it as much as the past papers. Think it went ok though- for the eigenvectors at the end I did it all again instead of realising the determinant thing in part (a) was to help you (d'oh).
    I very nearly did this. I was using row and column operations to simplify the determinant then I realised it was the same one lol

ReputationRep:
    i think i ****** up the easiest question in the exam with distance between the two planes. i took a whole page to work it out. any1 else get 7.2 or sumin similar lol?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone any idea how many people took this exam? I was the only one in my college to take it, and I'm at a fairly big college. My worry is that it's only taken by the kind of genius that's going on to do a maths degree at Oxford or something, specially taking it in January.

Also, I tried looking for grade-shift stats on the AQA website, couldn't find anything - anyone any idea what FP4 generally does?

ReputationRep:
    examiners reports ect for jan 09...news to even me ... a good read lol

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-MFP4-WRE-JAN09.PDF

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...OUND-JAN09.PDF (page 9)

4 of us at my college took it an we're the only ones doing further maths, ohh, and yer we all wanna do math at uni but non of us applied to oxbridge lol

how di u find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Anthony Cox)
    Anyone any idea how many people took this exam? I was the only one in my college to take it, and I'm at a fairly big college. My worry is that it's only taken by the kind of genius that's going on to do a maths degree at Oxford or something, specially taking it in January.

Also, I tried looking for grade-shift stats on the AQA website, couldn't find anything - anyone any idea what FP4 generally does?
    sorry forgot to quote u but see above post... hope this is slightlty helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee_91)
    examiners reports ect for jan 09...news to even me ... a good read lol

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-MFP4-WRE-JAN09.PDF

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pd...OUND-JAN09.PDF (page 9)

4 of us at my college took it an we're the only ones doing further maths, ohh, and yer we all wanna do math at uni but non of us applied to oxbridge lol

how di u find it?
    Much happier now, thank you

I was estimating maybe just scraping an A with no grade shift, so assuming a shift similar to that I think I've done pretty well, miiiiight have just about got an A* overall seeing as that was my 12th unit :top: Good luck with the results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Anthony Cox)

About 12 people took it at my school and by the sound of it quite a few people think they failed and will be resitting it, none of us applied to Oxbridge either.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.