Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else applied to Surrey for Music and Sound Recording?

I've got an interview mid february and so looking forward to it but not so sure what to expect from the 'Repetoire test' etc...

ReputationRep:
    Yep, got an interview early March, bricking it.
    I haven't got the ideal A-level subjects so I have:
    Standard Music test
    Standard Sound Recording test
    Interview
    Additional Maths test
    Additional Music test
    Audition

I'm putting everything into it but this is going to kill me

ReputationRep:
    Wowww you do have a lot to do!

But I know what you mean: I'm really fearful of what'll happen.

I thought I'd have to audition and take the additional music test too because I didn't do Music A-level and only took it up this year as an AS. But apparently not so I'm rather pleased. I'm gunna get my exams finished and just try my hardest to learn plenty. I'd really like to hear from anyone who went on the first two days...

ReputationRep:
    yeye
    my interview's at the end of March. I think it's the last interview date cos I applied pretty late / this was the only day left on the list when i had to choose. Hopefully this is a good thing seeing as they make the decisions after 'viewing everyone, so i'll be fresh in their minds.
    no doubt i'll be brickin it when my turn comes round, but yeah
    Seriously good luck to both of you.

ReputationRep:
    my interview's on wednesday :O

my main concern is the maths test - i have A level physics, but that's the only place i've used maths since GCSE!

does anybody have any clues as to what the maths test contains? i've 'revised (learnt) the relevant topics' as they requested, but I sort of freaked out when i saw A level maths papers! I think i would manage to apply the maths in context - but i'm not so good with literally working with meaningless x, y and z...

any info people who have already interviewed can give me on the nature of the maths test... to put my mind at rest... would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh Sorry I have no idea about the maths test but for you guys who have it coming up this week, the bit I struggled with was the music test they give to everyone. It basically means them giving you a melody you have to notate without rhythm (which was incredibly difficult) and then three excerpts where you have to write the style and approx period, instrumentation, recording techniques and compositional techniques. and then theres a choice of three questions, either analysis, four part harmony or something else which i didn't understand. After this, theres a sound recording 'questionnaire' which i totally failed on but i dont think it mattered so much as it is only a starter for questions in your interview. the interview only lasted about half an hour but we covered a lot and tbh, i learnt a heck of a lot.

Good luck to you all

Oh and don't do what I did and walk into the PATS building and sit with all the dancers before realising there are signs for the tonmeister applicants. haha vvvvv embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    haha no way, embarassing for you! I'll make a point not to do that

Wow ok so a fairly intense music test! I'm kinda looking forward to it in a way, for the challenge - but I fear the maths might catch me a bit :/

Either way - best of luck to everybody who knows, maybe I'll unknowingly bump into someone from here

I'll be interested to see as well how many girls take an interest in the course - I've probably met 3 female music tech students in my life! I gues I will find out

ReputationRep:
    I have my interview on wednesday too, really looking forward to it.
    I had the standard music test and sound recording. Not sure ever reading anything about an audition.
    What sort of questions do they ask you in the interview?

ReputationRep:
    oops sorry it'll be a bit late now

for anyone else (in future years?) they asked me the usual 'why do you want to do the tonmeister course', 'how will it benefit you' etc - I think they were looking for enthusiasm and dedication...

I got the impression that they gauge your 'knowledge' in the various tests etc, and in the interview test your working methods. I mentioned in interview that I know little about mic selection and placement etc, and so the interviewer quizzed me with questions he knew i couldn't answer, to see how well I could actually figure out the answers from applying existing knowledge. He then got me to design a dynamic mic system (with assistance) applying a bit of physics etc... not to test my knowledge, but my problem solving etc...

Also asked some general questions (why are CDs 44.1k etc...)

ReputationRep:
    mate you're a legend....tomorrow's the last day of interviews
    so your account of the day's events shall not be left unread
    !!!!!!excitement!!!!11!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here taking it starting this year? Will see you there!

ReputationRep:
    hey wondering if i could get an opinion i am applying this year. Got grade 8 in drum kit and in orchestral percussion got grade 5 theory and grade 6 piano but got got a c in physics 'as' retaking though il probably get a b over all what do you reckon my chances are? (hoping for an a in music and maths) also have done quite a bit of recording practice and got an as music tech a to??

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,
    the posts here have been very useful so thanks! they also have worried me quite a bit about all the exams and everything
    I was wondering for the people who are currently or have been on the course what their entry requirements were and if many girls are on the course?
    oh and what kind of technical questions they asked in the recording exam or interview (if you remember lol)
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    i have an interview in february and wondered, do they ask current affairs questions?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm a graduate of the Tonmeister course. Hope the following info will come in useful.

My year was a record for girls! We had 6! Which is massive compared to the 1 or 2 you usually get. I wouldn't worry though... there is a separate 'straight music' course full of girls who will make suitable breeding partners.

Entry requirements are typically AAA or higher. Don't worry if you are doing four or five subjects, they wont give you an offer which requires grades in more than 3 subjects. If you get an offer, there is such a demand that if you don't meet it... there is a big change you wont get the place

Unless it changes this year they wont ask any 'current affair' questions. It'll be useful to know a few facts and figures of the science of sounds. The stuff you'll find in the first few chapters 'Sound and Recording' by Francis Rumsey and 'Modern Recording techniques' by David Huber (both Tonmeisters curiously enough).

If you don't know the answer to a question... try and find out in the lunch break! It's likely they'll ask you again in the interview.

Hope that helps.

good luck guys.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, read all your posts and I'm intrigued to know if any of you people got on the course?
    I would love to get on this course but it would be really difficult. I'm taking:

1.Music Tech (A-Level)-Grade C at AS
    2.Music BTEC Subsidiary in Performance-Grade Distinction* at AS Year
    3.Maths (A-Level)-Grade D at AS but I'm expecting to get a C or a B because I'm doing retakes
    4.(History (AS)-Grade B but I dropped it)

I'm hoping to get a B at least in music tech because I've really taken to it a lot over the past year.

Do you think I've got any chance? I'll probably apply anyway if I've got a spare slot on UCAS. I'm competent and an eager learner and I imagine I can put it across in an interview

Also, how involved is the course? Do you get any spare time? (Thinking about getting a work experience slot in London during my time there)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobDavidson)
    Hi everyone, read all your posts and I'm intrigued to know if any of you people got on the course?
    I would love to get on this course but it would be really difficult. I'm taking:

1.Music Tech (A-Level)-Grade C at AS
    2.Music BTEC Subsidiary in Performance-Grade Distinction* at AS Year
    3.Maths (A-Level)-Grade D at AS but I'm expecting to get a C or a B because I'm doing retakes
    4.(History (AS)-Grade B but I dropped it)

I'm hoping to get a B at least in music tech because I've really taken to it a lot over the past year.

Do you think I've got any chance? I'll probably apply anyway if I've got a spare slot on UCAS. I'm competent and an eager learner and I imagine I can put it across in an interview

Also, how involved is the course? Do you get any spare time? (Thinking about getting a work experience slot in London during my time there)

Thanks
    To be honest, I don't think you stand a chance at all. It's a hugely competitive course and you require both Physics and Maths at an A grade prediction to even get an interview. My boyfriend applied and was shocked at an interview with A*AA predictions in Maths, Music and Physics (the required subjects). Go ahead and apply but I really doubt you'd even get an interview unless you had genuine reasons why you got a D at AS Maths and why you didn't do Physics (and could provide evidence that your Physics understanding was great enough). Sorry to be so damning but there's no point wasting a spot. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantstop)
    Anyone applying for this year? I'm currently doing the first year of a physics degree but want to apply for this next year. I've got a level maths physics and music at grade a, grade 8 saxophone, grade 5 piano, grade 5 theory... Never had any recording experience though. What do you reckon my chances are because if I go for it and don't get it I'll.have nowhere to live next year at uni... And will have to do a physics degree which I don't want to do...
    I'm doing the same type of thing, moving from History and Classics at Swansea to Law at Surrey. You stand a good chance with those grades and try to get some experience in recording in the mean time. Good luck (Also, you could drop out at the end of this year and spend a year reapplying to different courses if you don't get in this year and you don't want to continue doing Physics). xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhySmyth)
    To be honest, I don't think you stand a chance at all. It's a hugely competitive course and you require both Physics and Maths at an A grade prediction to even get an interview. My boyfriend applied and was shocked at an interview with A*AA predictions in Maths, Music and Physics (the required subjects). Go ahead and apply but I really doubt you'd even get an interview unless you had genuine reasons why you got a D at AS Maths and why you didn't do Physics (and could provide evidence that your Physics understanding was great enough). Sorry to be so damning but there's no point wasting a spot. xx
    No worries, thanks for replying
    I've been talking to a guy currently on the course too and I've got it all planned out now. The course seems excellent to me and I'm going to put my efforts into getting onto the course (well, getting to the interview first). If I don't get in this year I'll be looking at getting a full Physics A-level in one year next year as well as proving my grade 5 theory through ABRSM. I'm determined that this course is the best in the country and the best for me and since I've decided this it's been much easier for me to find motivation for my work. Hopefully I'll get an interview which will be useful for next year if I don't get in this year - assuming I get an interview next year haha
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhySmyth)
    To be honest, I don't think you stand a chance at all.
    Bit rude really. Everyone that shows potential has a chance, if his personal statement reflects the high level of effort he's willing to put in then he should get an interview. A few people that dropped grades they needed still got in as they judge a lot on the interview. He really will have to work hard, but its still possible.

Cantstop, your grades and music ability seem perfect, so long as you can put that through in a personal statement and show an engineering mind in an interview you've got a good shot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.