Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobDavidson)
    No worries, thanks for replying
    I've been talking to a guy currently on the course too and I've got it all planned out now. The course seems excellent to me and I'm going to put my efforts into getting onto the course (well, getting to the interview first). If I don't get in this year I'll be looking at getting a full Physics A-level in one year next year as well as proving my grade 5 theory through ABRSM. I'm determined that this course is the best in the country and the best for me and since I've decided this it's been much easier for me to find motivation for my work. Hopefully I'll get an interview which will be useful for next year if I don't get in this year - assuming I get an interview next year haha
    Thanks
    Apparently the interviews are based on your predicted grades...but I'm not too sure. Good luck with it all and I hope it works out for you

ReputationRep:
    http://www.surrey.ac.uk/schoolofarts...ter%20FAQs.pdf

This page is amazing for clarifying any doubts. It sorted all mine out

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else got an offer yet? x

ReputationRep:
    Hi! The Tonmeister course seems perfect for me; I spend most of my life in my school's music room, producing random tracks and recording student bands, and I'd love a career in the music industry.

I'm going to do grade 5 theory with ABRSM within the next few months (I'm currently in year 12 - just started AS levels), and grade 7 piano with Trinity (officially, I'm currently only grade 3, but my teacher is confident that I'll pass).

I'm hoping to get A* in physics (AQA), A* in music technology (Edexcel), A in media, and A in geography.

The only problem is that I'm not doing A-level maths. I got A* in GCSE maths, but failed my school's A-level maths entry test (hadn't even been taught half of the content). Even so, I seem to be capable of doing all the maths included in the physics course.

How much will not having A-level maths affect my chances of getting an interview?

Also, anyone on here who has done/is currently doing the Tonmeister course - how involved is the maths? And is it similar to the maths in physics A-level, or does it include things that are only covered in maths A-level?

ReputationRep:
    The likelihood is that you'll need to speak to the University and they might give you a separate maths exam. Hopefully it'll be ok but it's worth contacting them directly as soon as possible. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NiamhySmyth)
    The likelihood is that you'll need to speak to the University and they might give you a separate maths exam. Hopefully it'll be ok but it's worth contacting them directly as soon as possible. xx
    I've found the sample maths test:

http://iosr.surrey.ac.uk/downloads/T...maths_test.pdf

It doesn't look too difficult. I'm just concerned that I'll be less likely to get an interview without A-level maths.
    :unsure: x

ReputationRep:
    How much of the course is music and how much engineering guys?
    Also, what are the dorms like and is Guildford a nice place to live?

ReputationRep:
    I'm choosing my A-Levels and I want to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my main A-Levels and I want to do Music as an AS since they require it. Will they accept it if I do Music as an AS instead of an A Level? I have my Grade 7 in piano (certified by ABRSM), I've been playing drums for 5 years and I can play a wide range of styles (graded drumming always seemed pointless to me, I'm self taught), I've taught myself quite a bit of guitar and bass, and I have been singing for 10 years. I have my Grade 5 Theory (ABRSM). I produce my own music and record songs as well. Does this compensate for not doing the full Music A-Level and doing the AS only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poconnell2301)
    I'm choosing my A-Levels and I want to do Maths, Physics and Computer Science for my main A-Levels and I want to do Music as an AS since they require it. Will they accept it if I do Music as an AS instead of an A Level? I have my Grade 7 in piano (certified by ABRSM), I've been playing drums for 5 years and I can play a wide range of styles (graded drumming always seemed pointless to me, I'm self taught), I've taught myself quite a bit of guitar and bass, and I have been singing for 10 years. I have my Grade 5 Theory (ABRSM). I produce my own music and record songs as well. Does this compensate for not doing the full Music A-Level and doing the AS only?
    Why do you want to study Computer Science instead of Music at A2, when you are applying for a music-related course? That's what they will ask. Since you have such a musical background, they might be lenient; they accept Music Technology together with grade 5 theory, which I would say gives an equivalent level of knowledge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.