Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to university in September, and I'm really looking for to it...except I know I'll get really homesick.

I was wondering how everyone else has coped with homesickness? Or does it depend on how far away from home you go?

ReputationRep:
    i don't as i love being away from my home was ready to move out years ago

people are generally far too busy to get homesick. and your parents can always come visit you, or you could go back home halfway through the term. thats really the only solution

ReputationRep:
    Im going to have this problem aswell

ReputationRep:
    I think in Fresher's Week, hopefully you'll be kept too busy to really miss home too much initially, like all the new people to meet, going out, activities set up for you lot etc!

But when you do start feeling a bit lonely, remember you can always call home to help settle you in. Don't forget that everyone will be in the same boat and you can go home at weekends if you feel like it!

ReputationRep:
    er go home?

i don't get homesick, but i do go home when uni is pissing me off to cool down.

ReputationRep:
    When I get homesick, I tend to just man up about it all.
    It's cool, you'll be fine tbh. Everyone's in the same position.

ReputationRep:
    I found that the busier (did i spell that right?!) you are the less likely you are to get homesick. Take some time to ring your parents or drop them an email but generally making yourself busy makes you forget them a bit. After a while you'll just not become homesick and it will be fine. Try to limit the contact you have with them though, if you're home every weekend you won't be getting the most out of uni and you'll never grow out of being homesick. Don't worry, it gets better. When my parents left after dropping me off I cried for the first 2 terms even though i really looked forward to going back to uni!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think going home helps because people start to rely on it. I know people who go home every other weekend and you end up missing out on so much! There's probably going to be a period in your life when you can't see your family every week, so it's best to get it over with while everyone is.

ReputationRep:
    Just keep busy and get out and do things; that way you won't have time to be homesick.

But remember home is just at the other end of the phone. I know lots of people seem to worry that by calling home too much they're not being independent, but really, there's no point torturing yourself if you are homesick when you can just call, text or email to catch up, and it really does make you feel instantly better.

I'm not sure going home often if you can really helps though; surely then you're just making it worse? Because each time you go home and have to go back aren't you just going to feel even more homesick all over again?

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh I agree, if you keep yourself busy then you wont have time to get homesick!!
    But also make sure you keep in touch with home, this will also help if you feel homesick! There are loads of ways, through email, phone, MSN, Skype. If, your parents are like mine, and have no idea how to use a computer, teach them how to use one of those Webcams for skype or something! This will be good to see them and also hear and talk to them!

ReputationRep:
    Most people will probably fine to be honest! I thought i'd be a tiny bit homesick but i'm genuinely not at all - you're way too busy with friends at uni to think about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I don't think going home helps because people start to rely on it. I know people who go home every other weekend and you end up missing out on so much! There's probably going to be a period in your life when you can't see your family every week, so it's best to get it over with while everyone is.

What happens in uni at weekends? At my uni its dead and nothing happens, so I often prefer to go home as much as I can...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by La Esmerelda)
    What happens in uni at weekends? At my uni its dead and nothing happens, so I often prefer to go home as much as I can...
    In my flat we tend to go out at the weekend rather than the week because everyone has different timetables so there's always someone who's got to be up at the weekend. Most flat parties happen at the weekend too...

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't go home for the first five weeks or so. I did this and I felt totally awful. I honestly think you'll be too busy to even think of home, and so will your friends who've gone to other unis.

I do go home a few times a term though, when I need to get away from the hustle and bustle.

ReputationRep:
    You won't even think about it whilst you're there! You'll be meeting loads of new fun people and getting to know them. I'm sure if you make good friends with your flatmates (which you are bound to) you will all feel much better

ReputationRep:
    ok this worked for me, doesnt for everyone; i didnt go home for quite a few weeks to begin with. some of the people have been home every weekend since they got here but i cant really so my mum and dad came to visit a few times but apart from that i just sent emails pretty much every day and spoke on the phone everyother day. im not sure which bit helped but now im not homesick and i feel so settled here now, like more than i do back at home home! dont worry, it does get easier if you do get homesick x

ReputationRep:
    I think an important thing to remember is that it's really okay to feel homesick, and if you need to lock yourself in your room with junk food and a cheesy movie - which is a darn fine way of cheering me up - it's okay to do that from time to time. You can call home a lot, send e-mails and texts, that sort of thing. I go home once or twice a term depending on workload, but my parents keep me up to date with what's happening at home so I still feel a part of things - that might help, it keeps you from feeling so isolated.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been homesick at uni. It may have helped that last year (as in Sixth Form) I spent several periods from 2 weeks to 5 weeks "home alone" while my parents went away. Helped me get used to it really.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really get that homesick, but calling my parents a couple of times a week helps.

ReputationRep:
    hyou dot have time to be homesick. I havent been homesick once. I know a few people at uni who are homesick a lot and they dont come out with us or have fun. Thats probably why because theyre in a cycle of self-sympathy. Just make sure you make friends and go out and play lots of sport. Then you have good things to tell your parents about winning things and stuff and they will be proud of you. If you spend the whole time talking to them on teh phone saying what a rubbish time youre having and how much you want to be at home, it wont make them feel better. their job as parents is to prepare you for the future an dleaving home, so they'll feel theyve failed. I'm writing a psychology essay on this at the mo haha so scuse the essay... just have aball and you wont be homesick x

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.