Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry this is long... Feel free to skim. :p:

I have a friend who wants to do medicine but the thing is... she isn't very good at science and I suspect she is doing it for the wrong reasons aswell.

She does additional science at GCSE and resat the entire of the last module (Chem. Phys and Bio) in order to improve her grade (I think she got Ds) and her resit results? Those same Ds but this time they brought a U along with them

She was upset about this as she thought the exam went well... it obviously didn't. She told me she revised a lot aswell... I made no comment. She's also said she can't afford to fail science because everyone in her family does medicine and so should she. This is when I started to think she wasn't doing it for the right reasons.

I don't think she can survive A level science, if she can't manage to scrape a B GCSE! I tried to make her think about other subjects she was good at but she won't have it, she says she isn't good at anything (she's mainly a C/D grade student, which okay because a C = a pass but for medicine? I dunno if that's going to get her anywhere :confused: ).

I'm really not trying to bash her here. I'm just concerned, I don't want her to get her hopes up or find herself stuggling with A level science (which I'm 99% sure she will). I don't want her to waste her options!

Is there any advice I can give her? I've heard about foundation medicine courses or something like that... Or are here grades too low for this? Shall I just leave her to it? Or continue to try and pursuade her to do something else?

(gosh, I hope I didn't just sound like a complete *****.)

ReputationRep:
    Well she isn't going to meet the entry requirements with Ds at GCSE anyway if they are in science (I don't think even for the acces courses which if here parents are doctors then she is unlikely to be able to apply for anyway)

Also wanting to do it because daddy does is a pretty ****** reason.

ReputationRep:
    No chance with those grades I have friends who aren't even getting interviews for Medicine with straight As. And they're not complaining, because that's just how it is for Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    just let her continue... as you say its more than likley not going to happen cos of her grades. she will feel like she gave up if she didnt give it her best shot! all you got to do is stand by her and be there to pick up the peices when she doesnt get in to medicine! if its meant to be, its meant to be. if its not, shell find something else which is more suited to her x

ReputationRep:
    Plus, if her family is her only reason for wanting to do it, regardless of grades interviewers would see that and most likely not give her a place over someone who had better reasons. It's just too competitive for that.

ReputationRep:
    To be brutally honest, your friend is probably going to struggle to even pass an A level in Chemistry, Physics or Biology. Medicine is the single most competitive course at universities and most of the universities further down the league table don't even offer it. She needs a reality check, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Gently tell her that its not for her. Its best to get it out now so that she can choose realistic A levels and end up in a good uni course. With those grades, getting a med placement is pretty much impossible.

ReputationRep:
    She's never, ever going to be able to do it.

ReputationRep:
    unless something drastically changes i can't see her getting a place. a friend of mine had 8A* at gcse (13 passes) and 4A s at A level and didn't get a place for medicine this year. i think you need to gently try to get her to reconsider a subject/course that she is better suited for (something she really enjoys as it doesn't sound like she really wants medicine for the right reasons!) and failing that just be a supportive friend but be prepared to pick up the pieces if things don't go how she planned.

ReputationRep:
    In answer to your original question, I'd get her to talk to her tutor (or equivalent). Do you have a teacher who's in charge of careers/university applications? They should be able to let her down gently and give her some informed advice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting to do medicine aswell and I tried to tell her that even I'm going to do so much better when the real exams come even though I'm predicted As. I just don't think she'll listen.

I'm hoping she'll get the message when our school sixth form refuse to accept her onto the A level science course... well if they refuse her...

Thanks for the replies anyway

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know her only chance is in some form of nursing. That's what a friend of mine with less than stellar grades did instead of medicine anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ++ sorry my reply is kinda loooong too :o: ++

awww~
    im hoping to do medicine too and am currently studying GCSEs and like her both my parents r doctors so its like ahhhh pressure haha... i did quite a bit of research.. :p:

i think unis are not as concerned about GCSE grades as they are A-level but from wat yu have said i do think she will strugle too... i've heard ther is quite a big leap from gcse to a-level science....
    and im almost certain that most (if not all) unis expect their students to have atleast an A in chemistry for As.... but they would prefer them to have A-B grades in atleast 2 or 3 sciences (including maths):woo:

maybe you could convince her to talk to a career's advisor in ur skl? so u wont seem like the "bad guy"... or like drop a few hints so she relize how difficult it is to be able to study medicine?

alsooooo if ur skl allows students to change courses after A-level has started then i think even if she does go for the medically subjects she will relize how difficult they r by herself and maybe reconcider? D=

ahh.. i hope i helped.... TT___TT

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EM(Lin))
    In answer to your original question, I'd get her to talk to her tutor (or equivalent). Do you have a teacher who's in charge of careers/university applications? They should be able to let her down gently and give her some informed advice.
    We have a careers advisor, so I might tell my friend to go and see her and ask about entry requirements for medicine.

I'll talk to her about the grades she needs again on Monday... if grades or careers choices comes up, because if I bring it up I would end up sounding that a total cow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkGothicLady)
    As far as I know her only chance is in some form of nursing. That's what a friend of mine with less than stellar grades did instead of medicine anyway.
    That's not a bad idea actually... I might reccomend nursing to her, or some other type of care work like that. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Women shouldn't even do medicine, stick to nursing (or cooking)

ReputationRep:
    Could she not do nursing instead? I remember a nurse trying to recruit me during a blood test despite knowing my grades wernt really that good.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is a science. She should go :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: herself. :closedeyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9a3iqa)
    Oh, how enlightening your knowledge is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZOMG!)
    Sorry this is long... Feel free to skim. :p:

I have a friend who wants to do medicine but the thing is... she isn't very good at science and I suspect she is doing it for the wrong reasons aswell.

She does additional science at GCSE and resat the entire of the last module (Chem. Phys and Bio) in order to improve her grade (I think she got Ds) and her resit results? Those same Ds but this time they brought a U along with them

She was upset about this as she thought the exam went well... it obviously didn't. She told me she revised a lot aswell... I made no comment. She's also said she can't afford to fail science because everyone in her family does medicine and so should she. This is when I started to think she wasn't doing it for the right reasons.

I don't think she can survive A level science, if she can't manage to scrape a B GCSE! I tried to make her think about other subjects she was good at but she won't have it, she says she isn't good at anything (she's mainly a C/D grade student, which okay because a C = a pass but for medicine? I dunno if that's going to get her anywhere :confused: ).

I'm really not trying to bash her here. I'm just concerned, I don't want her to get her hopes up or find herself stuggling with A level science (which I'm 99% sure she will). I don't want her to waste her options!

Is there any advice I can give her? I've heard about foundation medicine courses or something like that... Or are here grades too low for this? Shall I just leave her to it? Or continue to try and pursuade her to do something else?

(gosh, I hope I didn't just sound like a complete *****.)
    Convince her to do some work experience in a hospital. If she's doing it for the wrong reasons she's more likely to give up on medicine once she sees the tough work, whilst if she's doing it for the right reasons she'll be more motivated to study. If she didn't really try for those exams then with enough motivation and revision, she'll most likely be able to get a B at least on the resits, but if she truly did go all out then she's got a bit of a problem

(Original post by 9a3iqa)
    We have an enlightened one right here /s

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.