Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Rice isn't really that risky, it's mainly if you let it cool and only partially reheat it. As for milk, so long as it's in date and doesn't smell funny, it'll be absolutely fine. Especially given that milk that's past its sell by date isn't especially harmful, it goes sour and unpalatable long before it's dangerous.

Trust me, I'm a biologist
    ah right cheers, that's good to know

ReputationRep:
    Rice is often colonized with Bacillus cereus, which can cause vomiting. When cooled, it forms inert spores, which reactivate when you warm it. Unless you heat it very thoroughly, the reactivated pathogen can cause nasty sickness.
    I've eaten cold rice before :dontknow: (I'm assuming warming up in your stomach counts). I won't anymore :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I've eaten cold rice before :dontknow: (I'm assuming warming up in your stomach counts). I won't anymore :tongue:
    Nah, cold rice, like leftovers and rice salads and things are fine, so long as they've been refrigerated. It's partial reheating that's a bit iffy

ReputationRep:
    I have this odd feeling now that I don't want to study chemistry, having increasingly developed an interest in Aeronautical Engineering.

I wonder if Imperial College will let me transfer on to such a competive course if I get the grades to meet my offer for the Chemistry masters course.

:unsure:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Aww, don't hate me, please. :p:

I should be visiting it in a few weeks (really need to book tickets nowish), but it's looking to be high on the list. My main concern is that it's a bit of a tiny, tiny town, but my friend's brother who is there apparently enjoys it, so it can't be too bad. Don't know about insurance at the moment.
    St Andrews is a lovely town, but you do really need to visit for yourself to see if you could live there. When I visited, I loved it as nice place for a holiday, but I knew there was no way I could live there for four years.

Come to Edinburgh. We're epic here.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one dead because of the hour we lost tonight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    Am I the only one dead because of the hour we lost tonight?
    nope definately not the only one, i was so tired as it was without the extra loss of sleep!!

ReputationRep:
    Ho ho ho. Green Giant.

ReputationRep:
    Where can I buy a tea strainer? I have acquired some loose leaves that help me sleep just lovely when infused with hot water.

ReputationRep:
    John Lewis, Lakeland, home department of Tesco...

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmm, might pop into le sainsburys at whitechapel before I go home tonight then

ReputationRep:
    Hey gays, how are you? I had an alright time at a party last night, although I drank rather too much and spent a while with friendly Mr Bucket. Also I had the somewhat disheartening feeling of waking up in a room with three couples. :mad: Somebody buy me a boyfriend, please.

Nah, cold rice, like leftovers and rice salads and things are fine, so long as they've been refrigerated. It's partial reheating that's a bit iffy
    Ah, was wondering why I've been fine all this time. Someone told me a while ago to be terrified of leftover rice, but I decided to continue on the I'm-still-alive-so-meh front. I mainly re-eat rice cold, though.

(Original post by Rainfaery)
    St Andrews is a lovely town, but you do really need to visit for yourself to see if you could live there. When I visited, I loved it as nice place for a holiday, but I knew there was no way I could live there for four years.

Come to Edinburgh. We're epic here.
    What's the LGBT stuff like in Edinburgh? Also, if I were planning to visit St Andrews and Edinburgh in my Easter holiday (next three weeksish), what would be a good itinerary, bearing in mind I have a six-hour train journey from London? :cool:

(Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Where can I buy a tea strainer? I have acquired some loose leaves that help me sleep just lovely when infused with hot water.
    In my house we have a funky thing like a metal teabag, but we don't really brew anything from leaves. The other suggestions are probably more helpful above. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    I have this odd feeling now that I don't want to study chemistry, having increasingly developed an interest in Aeronautical Engineering.

I wonder if Imperial College will let me transfer on to such a competive course if I get the grades to meet my offer for the Chemistry masters course.

Email them! Better do it early early, just in case; I asked to change from EEE to physics(at Imperial too) and they said that I should contact them in august but they seemed to say it was possible, they just wanted to make sure there was enough space(physics seemed to be extremely competitive this year at Imperial seeing the Imperial forum). Or maybe you could secure *amazing* grades and then email then in august?
    Also I have to admit that Aero seems very interesting :p:
    good luck

ReputationRep:

What's the LGBT stuff like in Edinburgh? Also, if I were planning to visit St Andrews and Edinburgh in my Easter holiday (next three weeksish), what would be a good itinerary, bearing in mind I have a six-hour train journey from London? :cool:
    Edinburgh has loads and loads of LGBT stuff. There's lots of gay bars, and multiple clubs if that's you're kind of thing.

If I were coming up to visit both, I'd probably try to get a train that gets into Edinburgh mid-afternoon, and then spend the afternoon and the next day or two (depending on how much time you've got) going round Edinburgh. Then I'd get a train up to St Andrews (well, to Leuchars, and then a bus from Leuchars) and spend maybe a day there? There's honestly not much to see. Are you coming up for open days?

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh has loads and loads of LGBT stuff. There's lots of gay bars, and multiple clubs if that's you're kind of thing.

If I were coming up to visit both, I'd probably try to get a train that gets into Edinburgh mid-afternoon, and then spend the afternoon and the next day or two (depending on how much time you've got) going round Edinburgh. Then I'd get a train up to St Andrews (well, to Leuchars, and then a bus from Leuchars) and spend maybe a day there? There's honestly not much to see. Are you coming up for open days?
    There are some 'visiting days' at St Andrews, where they'll give you a tour and stuffs if you tell them you're coming. Edinburgh doesn't seem to have anything organised, but I might just have a look round the uni buildings anyway. Cheers for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    There are some 'visiting days' at St Andrews, where they'll give you a tour and stuffs if you tell them you're coming. Edinburgh doesn't seem to have anything organised, but I might just have a look round the uni buildings anyway. Cheers for the advice.
    If you want, I can give you a tour round Edinburgh uni; my student card should let me into buildings and stuff. When are you gonna be up here?

ReputationRep:
    Can you go to HWU, hack into their computers and give me an unconditional? Please? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    Can you go to HWU, hack into their computers and give me an unconditional? Please? :p:
    Sorry, probably not. :p:

Welllllllll....

What're you gonna give me in return?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unperfect)
    Email them! Better do it early early, just in case; I asked to change from EEE to physics(at Imperial too) and they said that I should contact them in august but they seemed to say it was possible, they just wanted to make sure there was enough space(physics seemed to be extremely competitive this year at Imperial seeing the Imperial forum). Or maybe you could secure *amazing* grades and then email then in august?
    Also I have to admit that Aero seems very interesting :p:
    good luck
    It's good to know I'm not alone. :hugs:

Yeah I'll email them at the start of next week probably. What's worrying me is the thought of the Chemistry department withdrawing my offer, cause I've started considering aero.

Worse still, I only have a A grade in maths, not an A*, and I might me too late to enter myself for a pure maths module resit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KiraMayz)
    It's good to know I'm not alone. :hugs:

Yeah I'll email them at the start of next week probably. What's worrying me is the thought of the Chemistry department withdrawing my offer, cause I've started considering aero.

Worse still, I only have a A grade in maths, not an A*, and I might me too late to enter myself for a pure maths module resit

Were quite a few trying to change course at IC actually

I don't think they can withdraw your offer; though at the same times I can't be bothered to read the whole UCAS guidelines...But the Mech Eng Department couldn't seem to care less that I asked the physics department a change as I still got an offer.

In regards to your grade I'm sorry to say that it may harm your chances as I read somewhere that aero demanded extremely high requirements in math(A* for sure)... maybe you could do a STEP paper to impress them or a resit?(sry I don't know much about a-levels)
    but still dont lose hope

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.