The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4160
RobbieC
It signifies for me the point in time at which I was at once amazingly happy, but also the moment where I lost all sense of what happiness was and my brain shut down.

According to Mill, happiness consists in the fulfilment of our desires; happiness is the only end which is desirable. Mackie argues against this by saying that by saying this, Mill removes any specific meaning from happiness, and that if happiness ceases to be any distinctive thing, then Mill's thesis that our desire for it is evidence for its intrinsic goodness collapses.

You can tell I'm mid-essay crisis on this topic :biggrin:
Bezzler
According to Mill, happiness consists in the fulfilment of our desires; happiness is the only end which is desirable. Mackie argues against this by saying that by saying this, Mill removes any specific meaning from happiness, and that if happiness ceases to be any distinctive thing, then Mill's thesis that our desire for it is evidence for its intrinsic goodness collapses.

You can tell I'm mid-essay crisis on this topic :biggrin:
With the amount of malibu I have consumed, you are going to induce some sort of psychotic break in me!

However, I would like to fulfill my desires, if you'd care to help me do so :sexface:
Crisps
*starts sweating*

I hate having to wait :frown:

Bastard :p:

You can have the usual :whip: from me while you wait, then :p:
Bah, I just remembered that I have half a dozen genetic models to construct and about 10 statistical tests to do for this afternoon. ><
Dalimyr
You can have the usual :whip: from me while you wait, then :p:
Don't wear him out now! I want some left for me :sexface:

And Revd, that sounds very interesting. You have made me jealous, since all I get to do is study for an interview... Though the company is interesting... I have to give a presentation on my Masters degree study. Jesus it's going to go up in flames.

May I ask what your role and current level of study/research is, Mr. Mike? I am keen to learn more!
RobbieC

And Revd, that sounds very interesting. You have made me jealous, since all I get to do is study for an interview... Though the company is interesting... I have to give a presentation on my Masters degree study. Jesus it's going to go up in flames.

May I ask what your role and current level of study/research is, Mr. Mike? I am keen to learn more!

It's not that interesting :p: It's really basic Mendelian type genetic models. Basically from the phenotypes of the offspring produced by an F1 cross, we're attempting to construct the genotypes of the parents, and then use stats to prove if the model is acceptable. Thankfully this is the last bit of Mendelian genetics I have in the course ^__^

Aah, studying for interviews, fun >< For my last few interviews I revised loads about the projects and the techniques and research behind it, and barely got asked anything >< Of course, I'm sure I could guess what the first question would be if I decided not to bother... What interview are you going for?

I'm currently coming to the end of my 2nd year (of 4) of a part-time BSc Molecular Biology. I was until relatively recently working as a "Technical Support Scientist" for a pharmaceutical company, in the safety assessment division, but I'm now looking for something more academic heh.
Reply 4166
RobbieC

I will never be worn out for you :puppyeyes:

*is still sweating*
Revd. Mike
It's not that interesting :p: It's really basic Mendelian type genetic models. Basically from the phenotypes of the offspring produced by an F1 cross, we're attempting to construct the genotypes of the parents, and then use stats to prove if the model is acceptable. Thankfully this is the last bit of Mendelian genetics I have in the course ^__^

Aah, studying for interviews, fun >< For my last few interviews I revised loads about the projects and the techniques and research behind it, and barely got asked anything >< Of course, I'm sure I could guess what the first question would be if I decided not to bother... What interview are you going for?

I'm currently coming to the end of my 2nd year (of 4) of a part-time BSc Molecular Biology. I was until relatively recently working as a "Technical Support Scientist" for a pharmaceutical company, in the safety assessment division, but I'm now looking for something more academic heh.
I am sorry, but I am not in any way a genetecist proper. I simply get fed scraps of fact from a friend involved in cancer research.

Can I assume that your study is not cutting edge experimentation on the genes, but rather modelling the behaviour of genotypes, from what you said? I am unsure, you see.

The interview is with a company called Detica. They are a technological consultancy, but I have to re-hash and present my Masters Project presentation (about fluorescence lifetimes, if you're versed). It is a nasty slog through lots of info, with possibly no end product!

EDIT: Wow... that sounds quite advanced for second year stuff! But I may just be being ignorant/you may be some genetics overlord...
Revd. Mike
Bah, I just remembered that I have half a dozen genetic models to construct and about 10 statistical tests to do for this afternoon. ><

Does it sound weird if I say that I want to do genetic models and statistical tests now? :p:

Ah, damn sickness. :frown:
BeyondandAbove
Does it sound weird if I say that I want to do genetic models and statistical tests now? :p:

Ah, damn sickness. :frown:

;.; I am ill too. What are you sick with?
Reply 4170
Seems everyone's ill right now :sick:

I've missed a lot *goes to check*
RobbieC
I am sorry, but I am not in any way a genetecist proper. I simply get fed scraps of fact from a friend involved in cancer research.

Can I assume that your study is not cutting edge experimentation on the genes, but rather modelling the behaviour of genotypes, from what you said? I am unsure, you see.

The interview is with a company called Detica. They are a technological consultancy, but I have to re-hash and present my Masters Project presentation (about fluorescence lifetimes, if you're versed). It is a nasty slog through lots of info, with possibly no end product!

EDIT: Wow... that sounds quite advanced for second year stuff! But I may just be being ignorant/you may be some genetics overlord...

Oooh, no, it's in no way cutting edge or particularly difficult or advanced :p: It's just a small extension of the really basic dominant vs. recessive alleles thing. Like if you have a pure breed tall plant (genotype: TT) and a pure breed dwarf plant (genotype: tt), and cross them, all of the offspring will be tall (genotype Tt). If you cross the offspring, you'll get (in theory) 75% tall plants (genotype TT or Tt) and 25% dwarf, (tt). I'm basically doing those sorts of genetic models, but using dihybrid crosses with two traits and two genes/four alleles.

Damn, instead of doing that^ I ended up cooking chilli >< Better knuckle down...
Rainfaery
;.; I am ill too. What are you sick with?

Get well! I've got some fever, my head hurts a lot, talking hurts and I cannot eat, otherwise I'll get the urge to throw up. -.-
What about you?

I need to be healthy again by Friday. :frown:
BeyondandAbove
Get well! I've got some fever, my head hurts a lot, talking hurts and I cannot eat, otherwise I'll get the urge to throw up. -.-
What about you?

I need to be healthy again by Friday. :frown:

Just an entirely congested chest. :frown: I can't breathe right and I'm coughing up loads of mucus. It's not fun at all. :frown:
I am the king of high speed Mendelian crosses and Chi^2 testing :biggrin:
Rainfaery
Just an entirely congested chest. :frown: I can't breathe right and I'm coughing up loads of mucus. It's not fun at all. :frown:

No, that's really not fun at all. :frown:
Revd. Mike
Go Mikey, it's your birthday.

I dislike chi^2 error analyses, whatever all my professors etc. said to its merit. It just seems incredibly homogeneous and inelegant. Not that I'm elegant... I was drinking baileys before midday.

Perhaps that is elegant, since it was baileys, and not white ace.

Thanks for the clarification Mike, I had assumed as much along those lines tbh.

Feeling better bout the int' now, but my presentation is still abysmal crap. Fml.
Revd. Mike

I remember those from alevel Biology. Tedious bloody things.

I've been 'working' all day but I've only got about 20% of what I need done because I keep getting distracted every 10 minutes. Buggeration.
Reply 4178
I need a 'I didn't vote for the tories so don't blame me' badge. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow :sad:

(And, of course, the next 5 years)
Reply 4179
Gesar
I need a 'I didn't vote for the tories so don't blame me' badge. I have a bad feeling about tomorrow :sad:

(And, of course, the next 5 years)

I'm hoping for a hung parliament and another election in 6 months :awesome:

Latest