Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    ******* phone still isn't here! Hurry up, I wanna go vote!
    You have about an hour left! Although I have to say, I've never known a parcel to arrive this late in the day (whether Royal Mail or other courier), so you may be better off nipping to the polls before they close, and chancing missing the parcel. The worst that'd happen would be you have to go pick it up from a depot tomorrow or have it redelivered!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Talking of post being late never paying for postage on Amazon ever again :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    You have about an hour left! Although I have to say, I've never known a parcel to arrive this late in the day (whether Royal Mail or other courier), so you may be better off nipping to the polls before they close, and chancing missing the parcel. The worst that'd happen would be you have to go pick it up from a depot tomorrow or have it redelivered!
    I have untill 10pm to vote! Thing is though, parcel is coming via DHL, and delivery time is anytime till 9pm tonight :rolleyes:

Just as well it was free delivery, but I shoulda paid the extra for 10am delivery now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    A Lib-Con coalition would stand the best chance of actually achieving electoral reform (proportional representation); Labour have only got this far because we don't have it.
    The tories support any form of progressive action? :confused: They have said time and time again that they will not consider any form of political reform, and for good reason for them because it would probably mean the end of their party. They are a minority party - more than 60% of people in this country are left wing, and if any sort of PR or AV system is introduced their seat numbers would plummet and likely never recover. The only reason the conservative party exists in any meaningful form is because of our current system.

One of labour's current election pledges though is an AV+ voting system referendum. In the event of a hung parliament, I can imagine Brown stepping down and Milliband offering the lib dems a deal involving AV+, but I doubt they'd take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeyondandAbove)
    Eye contact

On my way to a funfair I passed a girl. She looked at me. I looked at her. She looked back. I looked back. I knew immediately: she's gay. Unfortunately, I had someone on the phone. I almost told them to hold on a minute, so I could talk to the girl However, I, as always, chickened out.

So.. uh.. I should get more into politics, huh? Who'd you wanna win, gays? Seems like the Torys aren't your favourites?

Oh, and don't you hate it when your friends aren't really subtle about the girl you like?
    ahhh ive tried the whole eye contact, :o: hasn't worked yet, other than the odd glance. meeh, suppose i better keep trying!

aww such a shame you chickened out, i would probably be the same. The only time I've ever been successful with a stranger is someone who approached me. Was far too drunk to remember to get their number though! Woops:p:

All voted now yep yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    The tories support any form of progressive action?
    Not that so much as Labour are only in a strong position because we use FPTP; I can't see them accepting any form of electoral reform, AV+ or otherwise, without them suffering a huge loss. The Tories however would benefit from it and knowing how self-serving they are, it seems like a wise move on their part - blame Labour for not doing it before and get some success in the process.

(Original post by Gesar)
    They have said time and time again that they will not consider any form of political reform, and for good reason for them because it would probably mean the end of their party. They are a minority party - more than 60% of people in this country are left wing, and if any sort of PR or AV system is introduced their seat numbers would plummet and likely never recover. The only reason the conservative party exists in any meaningful form is because of our current system.

One of labour's current election pledges though is an AV+ voting system referendum. In the event of a hung parliament, I can imagine Brown stepping down and Milliband offering the lib dems a deal involving AV+, but I doubt they'd take it.
    This is the realistic counter-argument though. Personally, I hope that David Miliband never becomes leader of the party but that is by-the-by.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cazzi)
    ahhh ive tried the whole eye contact, :o: hasn't worked yet, other than the odd glance. meeh, suppose i better keep trying!

aww such a shame you chickened out, i would probably be the same. The only time I've ever been successful with a stranger is someone who approached me. Was far too drunk to remember to get their number though! Woops:p:

All voted now yep yep
    I try not to chicken out now.

But okay.. gays... the girl I fawned over for over two months now (the blonde Megan Fox chick, smoking hot!) actually started talking to me on this social network thingy for women. Oh my god.. she can still remember me and she really wanted to talk to me that night, but her ex-girlfriend wouldn't allow her. And after she had a fight with her, I was gone.

So yeah.. thing is: she has a new girlfriend now. -.-
    **** man.. why? I'm 13 days late.. ARGH!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crisps)
    I have untill 10pm to vote! Thing is though, parcel is coming via DHL, and delivery time is anytime till 9pm tonight :rolleyes:

Just as well it was free delivery, but I shoulda paid the extra for 10am delivery now
    D'oh, yes, of course you do >< I don't know why I thought they closed at 18.00.

Hmm, cake wasn't a complete disaster, although the 'buttercream' did kinda go rubbish I made a dark cherry mocha cake with cherry buttercream.

ReputationRep:
    D'oh, yes, of course you do >< I don't know why I thought they closed at 18.00.

Hmm, cake wasn't a complete disaster, although the 'buttercream' did kinda go rubbish I made a dark cherry mocha cake with cherry buttercream.
    Went and voted and visited Tesco, came back, no calling card and no sign of a delivery. Checked tracker and status is just "Departed York Depot" at 14:00.

So going to give them till mid-afternoon tomorrow then send an email.

ReputationRep:
    Hey gays, how are you all? I came home yesterday with a horrible headache and a bad mood, so went to bed very early. Today I am in a much better mood, and had a profitable evening ironing, polishing and voting. Democracy is not that exciting, I'm afraid.

Tomorrow I get to play with the sword, and shout loudly, and have a four-course meal (with port!) for free.

I approve of you approving ^^ And I'm mighty envious, I miss that beautiful sword. When I'm rich I may buy one just to put on the wall and open champagne bottles with ^^

Also, I was going to rep you to counteract any neg rep the Northerners might have given you about that comment about the power cut, but I can't for another 6 days so you're on your own! :p:
    I wanna join the Navy just to wear a greatcoat with sword. :p:

(Original post by Dalimyr)
    If you're doing IB, be very, very careful about not discussing your exams until 24 hours after you've taken them. Even what you've posted there has earned people warnings in the past, and considering it's 10 points per offence (and we're pretty strict about it), you can find yourself being banned extremely quickly...so, best to keep quiet about your exams until 1pm/6pm the following day
    Fair enough, thanks.

*zips mouth*

(Original post by Rainfaery)
    Good luck on your exams; they're a ***** but will be over soon! And then you'll get a shiny diploma!
    Is the diploma shiny? I demand glitter. :yep:

See y'all later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Hey gays, how are you all? I came home yesterday with a horrible headache and a bad mood, so went to bed very early. Today I am in a much better mood, and had a profitable evening ironing, polishing and voting. Democracy is not that exciting, I'm afraid.

Is the diploma shiny? I demand glitter. :yep:

See y'all later.
    I hope you soon feel better. I am well tired, and panicking about my exams. Also, instead of revising, I am reading HP fanfic. Ooops.

But yes, the diploma is very iridescent and shiny and yay.

ReputationRep:
    These people complaining that they weren't able to vote because of the queues at the polling station; does it occur to them that they could have voted any time since 07.00, not just five minutes before closing? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    These people complaining that they weren't able to vote because of the queues at the polling station; does it occur to them that they could have voted any time since 07.00, not just five minutes before closing? :facepalm:
    Yup. One woman on the BBC said she went at 6, 7 and 8 but the queues were too long and she basically couldn't be arsed so went back at half 9. I think there are definitely some issues (like that one polling station which ran out of ballot papers) but some of it is just people being idiots and the media trying to make a story.

ReputationRep:
    As David Mitchell pointed out, it's pretty shambolic that they can't even run an election, let alone the country :p:

Urgh, I am not drunk enough for this.

ReputationRep:
    As David Mitchell pointed out, it's pretty shambolic that they can't even run an election, let alone the country :p:

Urgh, I am not drunk enough for this.
    In fairness I think the polling itself is run by local authorities, so most of the **** ups are probably down to those rather than the government. Add that to people generally being a bit thick (I don't doubt that there are actual issues, but the law is clear in saying that the polls close at 10 so people who've turned up just before the polls close can't really get all morally outraged) and you can't really blame Labour (for this at least).

I'm with you on the drunk thing. Though I've had about 3 hours sleep since 11am on Wednesday, so sleep deprivation is making me feel a little drunk. I have choclate though. So I'll just eat chocolate and weep when the Tories get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icysquall)
    In fairness I think the polling itself is run by local authorities, so most of the **** ups are probably down to those rather than the government. Add that to people generally being a bit thick (I don't doubt that there are actual issues, but the law is clear in saying that the polls close at 10 so people who've turned up just before the polls close can't really get all morally outraged) and you can't really blame Labour (for this at least).

I'm with you on the drunk thing. Though I've had about 3 hours sleep since 11am on Wednesday, so sleep deprivation is making me feel a little drunk. I have choclate though. So I'll just eat chocolate and weep when the Tories get in.
    I have no chocolate :cry: I have only whisky mac.

ReputationRep:
    I have no chocolate :cry: I have only whisky mac.
    My fridge here in my uni room basically has lots of chocolate in it and not much else. As it should be really. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I got bored of the results so I'm going to bed. As they stand right now:

Prediction: Hung parliament, conservatives 100% having largest number of seats. Lib Dems doing badly. Predicted leadership challenge to Brown this morning, removing him to attempt to make Lib Dem pact ASAP, before Murdoch can poison the country with tory propaganda. Likely result: Conservatives rule in minority government.

Sad, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    Is quiet in here.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :tumble:

Amazon now estimates my textbooks will arrive next week, apparently 1-2 days now means 7-10 days :sigh: is there a postal strike on in the UK?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.