Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laertes)
    No, a majority has been achieved so it's back to a relative norm.
    Well, I think it's still techically a hung parliament, just one in which we still have a majority government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Well, I think it's still techically a hung parliament, just one in which we still have a majority government.
    Well the whole premise of a hung parliament is that no-one has a majority; the coalition means the Lib-Con's have a majority hence no hung parliament.
    The coalition is treated as a majority in every other way, so I don't see why it would still be a hung parliament. Hell, the Tory and Lib Dem MPs are going to be sitting on the same side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icysquall)
    :sad: I was reading what the Tories have conceded to get the coalition to work and it's really not very much (they've kept a number of policies which I really hate). *sigh* I had hoped that the Lib Dems hadn't surrendered too much of their integrity.
    Yeah. I would have expected the tax break for marriage to be killed off at least. It's all very sad. But I figure it will collapse within 2 years anyway.

(Original post by Rainfaery)
    Yeah, that's true. All my other exams are about clever ways, and this one is just...not, I suppose. Threw me off a bit. XD I was getting all panicked because I had thought I totally understood index notation, and then I got all stuck here.

How are you doing in general? I've not spoken to you in ages!
    I'm alright ta. Muddling along. Hoping for a first again, though you wouldn't guess it from my workload. How are you? What grade are you aiming for?

No, a majority has been achieved so it's back to a relative norm.
    A coalition doesn't change the fact that no political party had an absolute majority of seats.

It's anything but the norm. In fact, this is pretty unique and will be in every political/legal/constitutional book of the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    A coalition doesn't change the fact that no political party had an absolute majority of seats.
    It's not about a party having a majority, it's about a party or a coalition of parties being able to command a majority. i.e. if they get 325 seats but team up with one independent, that coalition has a majority.
    It's anything but the norm. In fact, this is pretty unique and will be in every political/legal/constitutional book of the future.
    I am aware of that, my use of the word 'norm' was directed more at the fact that the day-to-day running of the country and the general business of Parliament will be as normal. The fact we have a coalition of two parties is treated in Parliament more as a government made up of a fractured party rather than as two separate parties; that was the whole point of the meetings, to draw up and detail a comprehensive plan to enable a Lib-Con coalition to function as close to a normal government as possible, in the executive and the legislative. With that done, assuming they stick to their plans then it will be returning to a relative norm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Yeah. I would have expected the tax break for marriage to be killed off at least. It's all very sad. But I figure it will collapse within 2 years anyway.
    I thought they'd got rid of that? Damn, a friend of mine's facebook status lied to me. Now I'm even more annoyed.

It's not about a party having a majority, it's about a party or a coalition of parties being able to command a majority. i.e. if they get 325 seats but team up with one independent, that coalition has a majority.
    I am not disagreeing with ya. I am saying a lack of an absolute majority leads to a coalition, which has to try and trade policies. In both cases, you have to command a majority. I was only remarking the absense of an absolute majority makes it rather unique in Parliamentary history.

I am aware of that, my use of the word 'norm' was directed more at the fact that the day-to-day running of the country and the general business of Parliament will be as normal. The fact we have a coalition of two parties is treated in Parliament more as a government made up of a fractured party rather than as two separate parties; that was the whole point of the meetings, to draw up and detail a comprehensive plan to enable a Lib-Con coalition to function as close to a normal government as possible, in the executive and the legislative. With that done, assuming they stick to their plans then it will be returning to a relative norm.
    I don't know. It should be interesting how a coalition works in the 21st century. I suppose in the day-to-day runnings, it will get back into the swing of things.

Are you a law student?

I thought they'd got rid of that? Damn, a friend of mine's facebook status lied to me. Now I'm even more annoyed.
    How are your law studies going? Exams and all that ...

ReputationRep:
    How are your law studies going? Exams and all that ...
    Oh exams went pretty well actually, got a high 2:1 which, considering I was expecting something dreadful based on mock exams, was a nice surprise. I haven't got any exams this term so in theory it was going to be awesome and sunny and we wouldn't have to do any work, but it seems the second years have lied to us and the workload is ridiculous. My tutor actually threw us out of a tutorial (and postponed it for 3 hours) earlier because we hadn't read a case well enough. In fairness it was a very key case which I'd just skimmed through and disregarded completely so my essay was very much out of date. I've learned my lesson now though.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a law student?
    No, I don't think I'd have the patience. I do History and Politics, me :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think I'd have the patience. I do History and Politics, me :awesome:
    Most law students don't have the patience to be law students.

ReputationRep:
    Most law students don't have the patience to be law students.
    Yeah but most law students actually want to be lawyers. I don't really.

ReputationRep:
    Wuzzup, gays?

EDIT: Ew, law/politics/history. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Wuzzup, gays?

EDIT: Ew, law/politics/history. :p:
    Yeah, go away philosophising mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, go away philosophising mathematician.
    Gay boy.

ReputationRep:
    Gay boy.
    More applicable to you, than me :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    More applicable to you, than me :ahee:
    How dare you! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I am pleased by the Civil Liberties policies. But beyond that, **** the Tories Education cuts and Theresa May I'm yet to look through the whole document, but I fear it will only make me sad.

ReputationRep:
    How dare you! :eek:
    How dare I infer that you are more homosexual than me? I do apologise, it's absolutely not true :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    How dare I infer that you are more homosexual than me? I do apologise, it's absolutely not true :awesome:
    So when's that meet again?

G'night, gays.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.