Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    To revise.
    Srsly though, probably not.

(Original post by icysquall)
    Bloody Catholics.
    We get blamed for everything.
    Just kidding, I'm not actually religious.

ReputationRep:
    Behind you.

Actually I'm doing work. All the cases this week are really depressing factually. A case just got handed down from the Supreme Court involving child abuse in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham, it's pretty grim. Even worse when I consider that my old school is part of that Archdiocese. Bloody Catholics.
    Sounds fun.

(Original post by Laertes)
    To revise.
    Srsly though, probably not.

Between Catholicism and bisexuality, you're not having a good day, are you? :P:

ReputationRep:
    I'm technically Catholic. Just, like, a really, really bad one (i.e. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in sleeping with men).
    (Original post by dbmag9)
    Sounds fun.
    Yup. Though this is the sort of stuff that made me want to be a lawyer in the first place, I wanted to be able to help people. Now it looks like I'll be selling my soul to the City.

ReputationRep:
    MI6 had an advert on TSR a moment ago. They must be getting desperate. :p:

I'm technically Catholic. Just, like, a really, really bad one (i.e. I don't believe in God, but I do believe in sleeping with men).

Yup. Though this is the sort of stuff that made me want to be a lawyer in the first place, I wanted to be able to help people. Now it looks like I'll be selling my soul to the City.
    Judaism is so much cooler. The synagogue I'm loosely affiliated to has two lady rabbis and is OK with doing civil partnership ceremonies. Also Judaism has a festival on which you're commanded to get drunk. Win.

Tut tut, selling your soul will not make you a better Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    Judaism is so much cooler. The synagogue I'm loosely affiliated to has two lady rabbis and is OK with doing civil partnership ceremonies. Also Judaism has a festival on which you're commanded to get drunk. Win.

Tut tut, selling your soul will not make you a better Catholic.
    There wasn't much of a soul there in the first place, to be honest. Besides all the money I'll make will totally make up for not having a soul. :yep:

Or I'll develop a drug habit and be deeply depressed by my 40s. But I prefer the idea that buying nice things will make me happy.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fun.

Between Catholicism and bisexuality, you're not having a good day, are you? :P:
    Something about being Jewish and gay.
    My alternate response is that you're always hating on the [vaguely catholic] bi man.

Ditto, although I might not be technically Catholic. I never was Christened...

There wasn't much of a soul there in the first place, to be honest. Besides all the money I'll make will totally make up for not having a soul. :yep:

Or I'll develop a drug habit and be deeply depressed by my 40s. But I prefer the idea that buying nice things will make me happy.
    What about the theory of buying nice drugs will make you happy?

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, although I might not be technically Catholic. I never was Christened...

What about the theory of buying nice drugs will make you happy?
    Nah, I'm not one for drugs.

ReputationRep:
    Also Judaism has a festival on which you're commanded to get drunk.
    WOAH WOAH WOAH. Somebody seems to be forgetting a large part of the premise behind St. Patrick's Day. We've spent centuries getting wasted for that. And for many, many other unrelated reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Something about being Jewish and gay.
    My alternate response is that you're always hitting on the [vaguely catholic] bi man.
    Fix'd.

WOAH WOAH WOAH. Somebody seems to be forgetting a large part of the premise behind St. Patrick's Day. We've spent centuries getting wasted for that. And for many, many other unrelated reasons.
    Yeah, but you don't get God telling you to get wasted. Clearly Judaism wins.

ReputationRep:
    Fix'd.
    I believe both statements are true.

Fix'd.

**** that ****, he knows we're smart enough to work it out for ourselves. Why else would we have Guinness and Whiskey? He was looking out for us. You lot needed to be told.

ReputationRep:
    True - but in Catholicism you don't get God telling you to have your foreskin chopped off. :p:

(Original post by Ataloss)
    True - but in Catholicism you don't get God telling you to have your foreskin chopped off. :p:
    Judaism doesn't tell, it *demands* ... by one's own parents ... it's no laughing matter ...

At least, they don't cut of little girls' clitoris ...

ReputationRep:
    I believe both statements are true.
    True. :p:

Meh, looks nicer this way. :yep:

True. :p:

Meh, looks nicer this way. :yep:
    Hardly a 'meh' issue ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Judaism doesn't tell, it *demands* ... by one's own parents ... it's no laughing matter ...

Hardly a 'meh' issue ...
    Not by one's own parents; by either a trained person whose job it is or by a doctor.

And yes, it's unnecessary and rather strange, but I don't think it's an incredibly important issue.

Not by one's own parents; by either a trained person whose job it is or by a doctor.

And yes, it's unnecessary and rather strange, but I don't think it's an incredibly important issue.
    Does God say anywhere you need a doctor or medically trained person?

No, of course not. We have the luxury of medicine and anaesthesia *today* but without these, people would be going around finding a sharp object to hack at their children’s genitals because God said so.

It is very important. I don’t understand why people are so blaze and dismissive against vile & disgusting child abuse.

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, I can see the conversation turning into a comparison of, ahem, cut and uncut penises...

ReputationRep:

I think your sig is a little harsh to be honest - I can't personally see it as child abuse.

If parents chose to get their child circumcised for non-religious reasons would you still regard it as child abuse?

ReputationRep:
    Does God say anywhere you need a doctor or medically trained person?

No, of course not. We have the luxury of medicine and anaesthesia *today* but without these, people would be going around finding a sharp object to hack at their children’s genitals because God said so.

It is very important. I don’t understand why people are so blaze and dismissive against vile & disgusting child abuse.
    No, but it's been recognised as something left to trained people for the last few thousand years. Also, I'm not religious, but I would rather you didn't use the phrase "these people", given that "these people" does include pretty much my entire family.

Also, while I recognise that 'there are worse things' isn't a coherent argument, I think there's still a case to be made for leaving the phrase "child abuse" to things which actually cause serious harm; while circumcision is a completely unnecessary and non-beneficial (except for rare medical needs etc.) thing to do, it's on a completely different level to beating a child, or verbally tormenting them.

Anyway, I'm off to sleep now. G'night, gays.

I think your sig is a little harsh to be honest - I can't personally see it as child abuse.

If parents chose to get their child circumcised for non-religious reasons would you still regard it as child abuse?
    Of course I would regard it as abuse! It's even worse ...

What argument is there for any parent to mutilate some of their child's body?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.